IGNORED

810 emulator and serial questions

Hi all, just a quick question about the 810 emulator. Instead of using an SIO2PC cable, does it work with an SIO serial unit? I have the ICD P.R. connection unit. Just wondering if this would work with the emulator, and if so, would I need a straight or null cable. Thanks.

An RS232 type serial port can't be used for SIO device emulation, the emulators require the SIO COMMAND signal which RS232 devices don't carry. The serial SIO2PC device is similar to the older R-Verter RS232 serial port interface, but connecting the SIO COMMAND signal to one of the RS232 handshake signals.

Hi all, thanks for the info. Looks like I am going to have to build one! :-D Good thing I enjoy soldering!

With most newer PC lacking COM: ports you should probably look at using a USB type SIO2PC device, the ones based on the FT232RL IC have been found to have less issues overall.

FT232RL breakout boards are readily available, and this post shows how simple the wiring is and how small they can get:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/182392-sio2usb-with-a-ftdi-basic-breakout-board/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2991163

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3105104845891?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=310510484589&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]