IGNORED

Atari Party 2014 in Sunnyvale: Who's reppin' the 5200?

joystickjedi

Saturday June 14th draws near... anyone else gonna bring some of the 5200 swagger to the (Atari) PAR-TAY?? :lol:

I just grabbed a couple new games off of evilBay to play at the show, Gyruss and Space Dungeon! Gonna bring my 2 port and my 4 port again, of course.

I was also thinking of doing a high score contest for the show... just a clipboard and pen style thing. Any suggestions as to a good game? Should be something that's a pretty quick play...

I'm bring my 4-port unless we are over represented. Dan Kramer may be bringing one as well. We may need another 7800 since Dan is bringing the 7800 ProLine Coupler prototype for use with Robotron.

Do you have a 5200 Joystick Coupler for Space Dungeon?

We should all double check with Bill.

• Like 1

I'm bring my 4-port unless we are over represented. Dan Kramer may be bringing one as well. We may need another 7800 since Dan is bringing the 7800 ProLine Coupler prototype for use with Robotron.

I have a 7800, but finding it in my storage (currently my Mom's back room) is the trick. I wouldn't count on it happening.

Yes to the coupler. Got mine off the evilBay a few years back, $10 and had 2 decent controllers in it! I was actually a little surprised Robotron didn't get much play tho... strangely enough, Q-Bert seemed to be the go-to game, every time I looked at my setup, someone was playing Q-Bert.

I might... MIGHT have an extra flat screen I can bring this year too, I hate to not use CRT's, but my days of lugging those badboys around is DONE. :lol:

Edited by joystickjedi
  • Like 1

It occurred to me when using my 5200 coupler that this was the exact sort of thing that 3D printers were made for. It is after all just a piece of plastic and would be trivial to reproduce. Is anybody going to Atari Party also a Maker enthusiast (is there a proper term for that like Trekker?)? Maybe someone could scan Dan's prototype and release the file and/or offer to do 3D prints for a reasonable fee? I know I'd love to have an authentic coupler for the 7800. Maybe that would inspire a Space Dungeon homebrew for the 7800 and who knows what else.

• Like 1

It occurred to me when using my 5200 coupler that this was the exact sort of thing that 3D printers were made for. It is after all just a piece of plastic and would be trivial to reproduce. Is anybody going to Atari Party also a Maker enthusiast (is there a proper term for that like Trekker?)? Maybe someone could scan Dan's prototype and release the file and/or offer to do 3D prints for a reasonable fee? I know I'd love to have an authentic coupler for the 7800. Maybe that would inspire a Space Dungeon homebrew for the 7800 and who knows what else.

Funny [great minds think alike]. That's the first thing I mentioned to Dan when he said he thought he had 1 or 2 prototypes. That's my plan.

And even before Dan had mentioned he had the 7800 coupler, I was thinking we [the community] need the 5200 Coupler 3D scanned too since prices are so high these days for them. Plus, we could all have multi-colored ones too. There's not a lot of actual "Atari" hardware stuff scanned and posted to Thingieverse or elsewhere. There's a member who posted 3D files of some A8 accessories on this board - in the A8 section - but again, not to Thingieverse. On Thingieverse, the last time I checked, someone had posted the Atari 2600 Paddle Knob files but they hadn't done it for other items. As you can see from my profile pic, I need a file for the 7800 case!

The Sunnyvale Public Library does have a 3D Printer but it takes hours to print items. And if I recall correctly, the event is from 10-4.

The Sunnyvale Public Library does have a 3D Printer but it takes hours to print items. And if I recall correctly, the event is from 10-4.

I don't think anybody was expecting to get a 3D print at the event, but just hoping someone could scan Dan's prototype so everyone could enjoy it. If there was a 3D scan, I'd have an excuse to get a 3D printer of my own (or at least another excuse). I don't suppose the library's printer supports scanning?

I don't think anybody was expecting to get a 3D print at the event, but just hoping someone could scan Dan's prototype so everyone could enjoy it. If there was a 3D scan, I'd have an excuse to get a 3D printer of my own (or at least another excuse). I don't suppose the library's printer supports scanning?

ATM, that's been my plan - and Dan has been supportive of it too - all along. I doubt the Sunnyvale Public Library has a scanner. I was just at the Sacramento Public Library that has 5 3D Printers last night and they don't have scanners either. You have to scan the item yourself with your phone [or I suppose a Kinect] and get the file available and then you import the file into the software the computers connected to the 3D Printers use to either modify it [with AutoCAD for instance] or print it out just like the original. From what I saw, the kids and adults were mainly printing items that were posted to Thingieverse which is where I'd post the files to.

The MakerBot printers at the library I was told could print up to 11"x16". I'm sure the couplers are 2 or more pieces screwed together. If I owned a 5200 Joystick Coupler, I could make a better estimate of that but alas I do not.

ATM, that's been my plan - and Dan has been supportive of it too - all along. I doubt the Sunnyvale Public Library has a scanner. I was just at the Sacramento Public Library that has 5 3D Printers last night and they don't have scanners either. You have to scan the item yourself with your phone [or I suppose a Kinect] and get the file available and then you import the file into the software the computers connected to the 3D Printers use to either modify it [with AutoCAD for instance] or print it out just like the original. From what I saw, the kids and adults were mainly printing items that were posted to Thingieverse which is where I'd post the files to.

The MakerBot printers at the library I was told could print up to 11"x16". I'm sure the couplers are 2 or more pieces screwed together. If I owned a 5200 Joystick Coupler, I could make a better estimate of that but alas I do not.

Mines handy if you ever want to give it a look-see.

Actually the 5200 coupler is one solid piece of plastic. There's some gripping material glued to the bottom so it won't skid, but the coupler itself is a just a single piece of plastic. It's the type of item that is ideal for reproduction by a 3D printer.

I'm generally disappointed with our modem world.

Growing up, I knew people who had multiple VCRs so they could duplicate tapes back when VCRs were $1,000 to $2,000 a piece. Same goes for when CD burners first hit the market [or before that when 8-bit computers went for $1k or more]. But today, I don't know a single person who owns their own 3D Printer...

You never heard of the SC3 parties twice a year?! The organizers always give a heads up here. The difference is that SC3 is multiplatform.

Oh man! I must go to the next one! And if the next one is held in Claremont like the latest post says, that would be awesome. Very close to me!

You never heard of the SC3 parties twice a year?! The organizers always give a heads up here. The difference is that SC3 is multiplatform.

And the Sunnyvale Atari Party isn't multi-platform? All Atari consoles and computers will be there. That's multi platform. There'll probably even be other classic consoles there as well as modern ones too. There's more details at the official site.

And the Sunnyvale Atari Party isn't multi-platform? All Atari consoles and computers will be there. That's multi platform. There'll probably even be other classic consoles there as well as modern ones too. There's more details at the official site.

No. Or at least my understanding of "multi-platform" is including Intellivision, Colecovision, Odyssey, etc. with non-Atari related games. Unless you know something that is not posted on the web page, none of those other systems are going to be there. It is an Atari Party after all, and that's the way I like it. :)

No. Or at least my understanding of "multi-platform" is including Intellivision, Colecovision, Odyssey, etc. with non-Atari related games. Unless you know something that is not posted on the web page, none of those other systems are going to be there. It is an Atari Party after all, and that's the way I like it. :)

Other systems will be there. I know for sure there will be an NES there playing TENGEN games. And since Tengen was the Atari Games Corp, that counts as it being "Atari". Past events have had Commodore 64s playing AtariSoft titles and there's been Colecovisions and Intellivisions there with their 2600 adapters. And there's been a PS2 playing the "Atari Anthology" release in past years too.

There will also be PCs there emulating the classic consoles. There might be modern consoles there too from what Bill has said.