IGNORED

Alex Kidd Port

TheMole

5 hours ago, TheMole said:

It supports both the tms9918a and the F18-A, with bespoke graphics for each version:

miracle_island_1_f18a.thumb.png.8a42d9d7b41bf55cefd196abf75a33f6.png

miracle_island_1.thumb.png.6af3cd0007b9653c34af921ec25ebea9.png

So, not sure what went wrong when you tried it on your console, but if you can tell me a bit more about your setup I could perhaps look into it. Are you using a FinalGrom99, or did you burn the image to a cartridge?

Well, I just noticed that the versions you have posted here are DSK files...  as I mentioned before, I'd gotten ahold of a BIN file and had tried running IT.  I tried it on both my 1st-Gen 4A (through FinalGrom) and on Classic99, with effectively the same result.

I just checked that "all attachments for the entire thread" link up top... something I'm not used to, but which AtariAge provides in the forums and is REALLY a nice feature, by the way... and saw that you were putting up disk images here.  I just downloaded a disk image, and found a whole stack of files, not just the one executable BIN I'd gotten my hands on at some point (I honestly can't recall where).

Testing it on Classic99, it runs with F18A features, just fine, from that disk image.  I haven't put it onto my real physical unit in that form yet...  I'm in the process of fixing a 40+ year old wiring defect in the keyboard ribbon cable I just discovered (which has been causing me intermittant issues for some time now, and is really a kludge used at the factory to allow a "broken keyboard" to be installed into a shipping unit!) and it's not up and running at the moment as a result.

But it's pretty clear to me that the BIN file I got is corrupted, or is "F18A only," but the disk version I just downloaded from here works fine.

Did you, personally, ever make up cartridge "BIN" files for this?  I don't see them as attachments in this thread, only the disk image (two of them, but they appear to be identical, shown in the "attachments" bit up top)

If not, I'm wondering where that BIN file actually came from.  Hmmm...

• Like 1

Ah, yes... I hadn't noticed that this is the first, older thread I started way back in the day (has it been almost 10 years already? Damn!). Back then, I was thinking I could fit this game on a floppy and have it run from the 32k memory area, but I quickly ran into quite some limitations.

Since then, a lot of development has gone into bringing the whole thing over to cartridge in order to allow loading of much larger levels, more animations and different enemy types, etc... the more up-to-date thread can be found here: 

That one also has the rom image (.bin file) I think you are talking about. It should run on real hardware using an FG99 cartridge, so feel free to give that a try and let me know if it works for you.

I'm actually back to working on the game (well, the editor for the game actually) now that I'm wrapping things up on Ghostbusters, hopefully working towards a real release sometime in 2024. That'll mark the actual 10th aniversary of me working on it, so it'll be good to finally get it out! :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheMole said:

Ah, yes... I hadn't noticed that this is the first, older thread I started way back in the day (has it been almost 10 years already? Damn!). Back then, I was thinking I could fit this game on a floppy and have it run from the 32k memory area, but I quickly ran into quite some limitations.

Since then, a lot of development has gone into bringing the whole thing over to cartridge in order to allow loading of much larger levels, more animations and different enemy types, etc... the more up-to-date thread can be found here: 

That one also has the rom image (.bin file) I think you are talking about. It should run on real hardware using an FG99 cartridge, so feel free to give that a try and let me know if it works for you.

I'm actually back to working on the game (well, the editor for the game actually) now that I'm wrapping things up on Ghostbusters, hopefully working towards a real release sometime in 2024. That'll mark the actual 10th aniversary of me working on it, so it'll be good to finally get it out! :)

Ahhh...  missed that other thread.  I just tried to run the file I had, found it didn't work, came here and found this thread.

I suspect I got it off of one of my WHTech FTP download sessions at some point, but it could have come from any of the many sources I've gone to to try to get as many files for the TI as humanly possible.

I know I get a ton of duplicate files, but I use a program called "AllDup" which uses SHA (I default to 160bit but you can go a lot higher) to compare files and remove duplications, and so far that's worked out nicely for me.

The BIN file I have came from one of those.  I'll go over to the other thread now and check out the BIN(s?) you've posted over there.   Just gotta say, I AM loving this... outstanding work.  And I'm also looking forward to the GB port...   :)

• Like 1