IGNORED

Monopoly by David Addison

So, I was thinking to maybe port this to Windows. To that end, I downloaded GFA BASIC 32, v2.3 for Windows. But it wants a ".G32", ".LST", or ".BAK" file. Am I chasing windmills on this one or is it possible?

Imagine how angry Hasbro would get if it were converted to Java, Flash, or HTML5...

That said, can you dump the text or give me a format that can be opened in GFA Basic for Windows? That is, if you are not interested in just porting it yourself. Truth is, I have never written anything in GFA BASIC and while I was kind of looking forward to maybe learning a little about it, I'd probably prefer to just have the port. =)

GFABASIC editor for the Atari ST:

http://userpages.bright.net/~gfabasic/files/gfa_edit.zip

Hit Load then Save,A and it will be converted to text.

One of my patches involved inlining the asm routine and the GFA format preserves the assembler. If you convert it to text the assembler it lost. Well the assembler part isn't going to run on windows anyway and you will have to recode that part or remove that effect.

Edited by lp060

I'm not going to try and turn this into a proper tasking GEM program. Too many GOTOs for my liking, a total of 401 to be exact. Maybe someone else will tackle the GEM update. :)

Edited by lp060

Whilst playing I discovered a bug. When you refuse to mortgage some properties to buy another property, it says... "Not a gambler...", but the "N" is missing. Will be updating the archive in the near future. ;)

I fixed about a dozen more color bugs similar to the one I noted above. They either dropped the first character or rendered in the wrong color. I also modified it enough to rebuild it with the newer GFA library. Its possible to build it for the coldfire, but can a FireBee can do ST low rez?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I do recall there being a lawsuit or uproar when this was released on Amiga.

Still it's my go-to version of monopoly because you can play a fast game. Unlike the "official" versions of Monopoly which always seem to waste time with slow useless animation, this doesn't waste that much time, and you can speed up the AI turns with turbo/FF mode on an emulator.