IGNORED

5200 Problem

Tempest

I just had my 5200 S-Video modded (Electronic Sentimentalies) and the video is perfect, but the controllers aren't working now. The joystick seems to think it's permanently being pressed up . Sometimes I can get it to stop doing that for a second and then I can only move left, but I'm always fighting with it as it still wants to go up. The other directions aren't working at all. It's not my joystick however as they were working fine before the mod. I tested three different joysticks including a third party one and they all do the same thing.

Any idea what could be wrong? Is it possibly something with the POKEY chip?

It could be.. If you have an older A8 with socketed pokey chip, maybe you can swap another in there.

Can you start any 2 player games and see if a controller in port 2 does the same?

I'll try the second port tonight.

Which 8-bits have a socketed pokey?

Could be something touching the input pin on Pokey (there's 8 for the Pots).

There is a wire going to one pin on the pokey, but it's the same sound wire that my old video mod had. I don't think that's the problem

Which 8-bits have a socketed pokey?

All 400s, all 800s, all (I think) 1200XLs.

Most / some 600XLs and 800XLs - I'm not sure if there's a cutoff production date, or a manufacturing site move that makes the difference, but most XLs I've seen are socketed.

None of the XE series have socketed chips.

Oh boy... now I'm nervous. He has my 7800... getting an AV mod done on it. Hope it comes back with no issues. Turn around time is pretty long too. :(

My 2600 came back just fine. I honestly think it might have been something I did to it when I was taking the board out. He offered to fix it for free which is more than generous in my book. I wouldn't worry at all.