Sockets

Theoryman

So far, I've taken apart:

several 400. All were socketed.

several 800. All were socketed.

three 1200XL. All were socketed.

several 800XL All were socketed

one 600XL. It was socketed.

Does anybody know what I will find in the 130XE, the 65XE, the XEGS?

How about the 810, the 1050, the xf551?

Other items?

I ask as I am planning some hardware upgrades and I'd like an idea just how hard they will be to install.

In a socketed system, they will be plug and go. in a non-socketed system, there could be an issue...

--

For the most part, socketed was order of the day until late XL era - some XLs partially, some with none but probably most fully socketed.

In the case of the VBXE hardware upgrade, it requires replacing standard with precision socket for Antic.

I'm getting back into Atari in a big way. First order of business it getting my development stuff setup.

Then, 65C02 CPU's. I'm making a small upgrade board for the XL's. I assume it will work in the XE's as well, but will test.

I will run off a few of these. Others interested, let me know.

They will fit under the shield in the 600/800/1200 XL's. Looking for XE gear now to test fit and see just how much work the upgrade will be on those.

--

65C02 - these days a turbo (esp 65816) upgrade is much more desirable, a few are around but nothing really has gotten off the ground in any big way.

Easiest install for 65C02 is probably older 400/800 with the normal 6502B (non-Sally) CPU as the /HALT logic is implemented externally.

I know that... And I am planning a 65816 for later on.

However, /HALT is not part of the 65816. Doing the 65C02 first allows me some experimentation.

Planned progression is:

65C02 at 1.79MHz

65816 at 1.79MHz with 16bit addressing (segment 0)

65816 at 1.79MHz with 24bit addressing, segment selection and on-board extended RAM.

65816 at 1.79MHz in segment 0 and 14.32MHz in other segments. implemented by phi 2 stretching. Hardest part will be determining what segment a read/write referencing quickly enough to decide if the waits are needed.

I figure I'll need software help in doing a 8/16 OS at stage 3

--

Interesting. Different plan than mine. I'll be buying a copy.

Still going ahead on mine. But going to work on a clock doubled 65C02 in the middle

--