IGNORED

Atari 850 Parallel Port - Device Expansion System

fibrewire

There are tons of parallel port devices on the market, but has anyone tried to use them with the Atari 850 interface? We know the lantronix UDS-10 serial device is a good way to attach ethernet, but what about parallel port floppies from apple or IBM? Anyone try parallel port CD-ROM or Zip drives? Please post your experiences or ideas here.

Edited by fibrewire

I'm not an 850 expert, but I believe the port is unidirectional. To make it bidirectional would require a new ROM for the 850.

Even a new ROM wouldn't help, all printer port signals except +5V/GND are buffered by CA3086 transistor array chips.

Parallel devices like ZIP and CD drives are actually just 8-bit SCSI devices with a modified connector. On the PC side a driver is used to make the SCSI protocol work on the 8-bit parallel port. Technically you can connect such a device to 2 joystick ports of an A8 (=bi-directional 8 bit port with trigger inputs for handshake) but you'll still need a driver.

Or try to get a Black-Box and just connect the SCSI version :-)

Hello guys

Or try to get a Black-Box and just connect the SCSI version :-)

The Blackbox needs a parity for this to work. Pick one of the two options explained on my BlackBox page.

Sincerely

Mathy (who's booted his Atari off both a ZIPdrive and some CD-drives)

Edited by Mathy