IGNORED

Something rattling around inside an 800XL

DrVenkman

I took out one of my 800XL's from storage today to mess around with for the first time in a few years and I heard something rattling around inside. After popping off the top of the case, I found this. Does anyone have any idea what it is or where it came from?

Thanks in advance.

post-30400-0-99401100-1404001138_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-60280600-1404001155_thumb.jpg

Not a clue. I don't know if it is a cartridge or ???. Does it look like something you'd plug into a cartridge port (And I mean don't try to power it up with it in the cart slot!)

It's very small, about the size of a postage stamp. The text on the circuit board is small enough that I had to take these pics with my phone and blow them up for my 45 year old eyes to read, lol! It didn't look like it belonged in there to me, and it doesn't match anything I've ever seen in pics of 800XL internals that I've ever seen.

I wonder if it's something that someone dropped into the cartridge slot once upon a time, or if something slipped in through the expansion slot somewhere in this box's past. I bought it on eBay probably close to 10 years ago. It's been in storage most of the time since, so if anything was rattling inside when I got it, I sure don't remember it.

Looks almost like the guts of an old wristwatch.

I see someone ripped everything apart as a kid :) Right side is where the barrel shaped quartz crystal resonator sits, buttons are across the top with common ground from a piece of spring steel, and the round hole to the left is where the button cell resides. The row of pads connects via a block of rubber conductive strip to drive the LCD screen.

• Like 4

I see someone ripped everything apart as a kid :) Right side is where the barrel shaped quartz crystal resonator sits, buttons are across the top with common ground from a piece of spring steel, and the round hole to the left is where the button cell resides. The row of pads connects via a block of rubber conductive strip to drive the LCD screen.

I never pulled apart a digital watch but it sounds like you nailed it - thank you, guys!

After reassembling, this 800XL works great, as does my other one. I'm having a retro-computing/gaming party for my birthday in a couple weeks and it's good to know these two will be ready to participate!

Now, can anyone tell me how to diagnose a single sticking key on a 600XL? :D (The key itself moves and rebounds normally, but the switch underneath appears to be stuck closed).