IGNORED

Controllers unresponsive: what do you suggest?

lostintwilight

I've tried the eraser and foil tricks. Nothing. I've wiggled the connection as I pressed random buttons. Nothing. Absolutely nothing on either of the two controllers. I've also checked if there was corrosion inside the box arounf the port connections. It looked clean.

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem isn't the controllers at all but in the console itself. What do you think?

Could also be the IC that controls the ports and signals from the joystick to the rest of the system? Each controller port has a small IC close by. Those I suppose can go bad like anything else?

I've had issues with that chip, but it didn't impact all functions at once. I don't think one chip failure would cause every button on every (both?) ports to fail. I guess somehow multiple multiplexers could have gone south at the same time. But, I'm in favor of eliminating variables by shorting pins as suggested above (though a little more direction might be required for the uninitiated).

This is where it would be great to have a diagnostic cart so every function is being monitored simultaneously rather than relying on what one game is looking for.

Edited by BigO
  • Like 1

If both controllers don't work at all... I would guess it's console related. Too much of a coincidence that BOTH controllers have zero functionality. For my own curiosity, is it a 2 port or 4 port?

To touch base:

My console is a 2-port.

Touching pins 3 and 4 with a screwdriver didn't start the game. I tried touching random pins with the screwdriver and got nothing more than a slight bit of static on the screen. Is this what was meant by shorting two pins?

That is what was meant by shorting pins. But, you do need to short appropriate pins. Random could have some, uhm, less than optimal results.

It does sound possible that the 4052 multiplexer/demultiplexer chip(s) could be bad.

• Like 1

That is what was meant by shorting pins. But, you do need to short appropriate pins. Random could have some, uhm, less than optimal results.

It does sound possible that the 4052 multiplexer/demultiplexer chip(s) could be bad.

So if the chips are bad, is it worth replacing them, or should I look for another console?

So if the chips are bad, is it worth replacing them, or should I look for another console?

You need to touch pins 4 and 7, pin 1 being the top left looking into the port. Put a match book cover or paper over the bottom row of pins so nothing touches those.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Just to say thanks for that advice. I had the same column of keys not working on port 1 with all 4 of my controllers. Swapped the 4052s and now all is fine.

• 3 weeks later...