IGNORED

Manufacturing a New Run of Pro-Controllers

Rick Dangerous

The Gauntlet series is one of my all time favorite multiplayer games. I have actually been playing Gauntlet IV on Genesis a lot lately with friends. You really would have no need for the pro controller for Gauntlet as well, as it plays just fine with a D Pad and two buttons.

Gauntlet 2 I have for the NES, but the ST version must be a much truer port of the arcade version. Let me be first on the pre-order list for a Jag Gauntlet!

• Like 1

Whistles innocently...

I hope you are successful at it! However, if there was a way to get the Jag's DSP to emulate the YM2151, the POKEY, and the TI Speech Synthesis chip, you could re-incorporate the audio from the arcade original. Then sampling [which the Amiga and ST versions use] wouldn't be needed which would free up CPU load - especially if you were relying only on the 68000 - as well as RAM…theoretically.

To me, an intriguing idea would be to do Gauntlet multi-player on the Jag by networking the systems together instead of everyone using the same system with multiple controllers. Had Mindscape/US Gold been on the ball more back in the day, they could've done MIDI networking - like MIDI Maze - on the ST version instead of relying on the parallel port-to-joystick adapter/TAP to allow for 4 player mode. Of course, if that were to be enabled on the Jag, then the DSP would take a performance hit which could be problematic if the DSP was also being used to emulate the arcade [or Genesis] audio.

Can an audio chip be added to a Jaguar cartridge?

The Gauntlet series is one of my all time favorite multiplayer games. I have actually been playing Gauntlet IV on Genesis a lot lately with friends. You really would have no need for the pro controller for Gauntlet as well, as it plays just fine with a D Pad and two buttons.

Gauntlet 2 I have for the NES, but the ST version must be a much truer port of the arcade version. Let me be first on the pre-order list for a Jag Gauntlet!

And Tengen's [ahem, Atari Games'] Gauntlet *IV* for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive is considered the definitive home version of the original Gauntlet, surpassing even the ST version. It does recycle the arcade source code which is amazing since the arcade used a Motorola 68010 - and not a 68000 - and the Genesis's YM chip isn't exactly the YM2151. I would be interested to discover whether it runs better on modded Genesis consoles with a 68010. Those consoles seem to run the games better than overclocked 68000 consoles except for games that are known not to run using a 68010 [Shaq-Fu].

Tengen's Mega Drive port of Marble Madness [only available for the Japanese market] is also considered the definitive home port although it allegedly doesn't use the Sega trackball [the SportsPad for the SMS] as well as the more widely owned EA version from what I've read online.

Edited by Lynxpro

Can an audio chip be added to a Jaguar cartridge?

There are no analog audio input pins on the cart connector, so you'd have to connect an external passthru audio cable.

There are digital (I²S) audio inputs on the other hand, but I don't think there's any common sound chip that's compatible.

There are no analog audio input pins on the cart connector, so you'd have to connect an external passthru audio cable.

There are digital (I²S) audio inputs on the other hand, but I don't think there's any common sound chip that's compatible.

Ugh. Everything is a compromise. :)

Apparently the NeoGeo's largest cart is King of Fighters 2003 which clocks in at 89.3 Megabytes. I think the Jag FAQ said the Jag could theoretically support 84MB on a cart.

Edited by Lynxpro

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to this forum. Is there any update on this project? I have managed several plastic injection molding projects at the company I work for, can help with questions in that area. Biggest problem I've come across with trying to re-use molds is the molding technology can vary from vendor to vendor, moving one mold to another company could be a huge headache and cost almost as much $$ as just making a new set of molds.

You should consider having the vendor that molded the imagin parts quote you 500 sets of controller parts in black. Keep in mind the circuitry will have to be a different vendor, and then assembly you will have to do or contract another company.

Good Luck, I am interested in one if you succeed.

Well, Here is the news:

See attached! Would like $6000.00 for all

Steve Mortensen

President,

IMAGIN SYSTEMS CORP.

1700 Industrial Road, Ste A

San Carlos, CA 94070

He also attached pictures of the molds but the file size is just over 10mb.

From the specs though, you can see that these things are quite heavy, like the weight of a pickup truck combined.

Soo... I have no doubt we as a group could raise the money via kick-starter to buy these. But then what? Then you have to transport them somewhere, have someone do the moldings, then there is the electrical component portion. By the time you are all said and done it's not really going to be financially feasible to go this route.

I am not giving up on this project but I am definitely thinking that buying these molds is not the most cost effective way to go. 3D scanning and printing seems much more realistic..

Thoughts?

AtariToolingSpecs4-12-10.doc

Edited by travistouchdown

Considering imagin only needed the case tooling for their camera and not the controllers, it is possible they either never got the controller molds or scrapped them.

That being said, someone should save the tools before they are gone. It is incredible they have survived into 2014! $6000 is not a bad price considering.

Edited by Brooklyn
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

That is incredibly hefty! Someone should still snag the molds but it would most definitely have to be done local to their location in CA...

With that said, I think your next best bet or option is definitely 3D printing... and while I'm not sure about costs involved, I do know metal printing is now available as well... but I'm sure that is quite expensive by far in comparison but could in the end result in some really nicely finished controllers for those looking for something slightly more durable haha...

Easy question for you Jaguar Pros: The Jaguar controller plugs into the STe computer. (1) What software *really* used it? (2) Will the STe recognize the uniqueness of the Jaguar Pro Controller, and did any software actually use it? (I'm guessing "no.")

Thanks, and hope these get made somehow.

Easy question for you Jaguar Pros: The Jaguar controller plugs into the STe computer. (1) What software *really* used it? (2) Will the STe recognize the uniqueness of the Jaguar Pro Controller, and did any software actually use it? (I'm guessing "no.")

There are a very few STe only games that do use the Jag Controller made about '94-'96. Can't recall the list but you'll have to check the Read Me files to see if they support it as an option.

Otherwise you'll have to get an adapter cable from Best Electronics to use the Jag Controller as an Atari joystick. (Such a waste with all those buttons only as fire...)

• Like 2