IGNORED

Found oddly modified 400 with a 25 pin connector

ACML

Weird! I found a 400 at a retro gaming shop that has a 25 pin DB connector like RS232 modems used. I can only see through the vent holes that there is ribbon cable connected to it and headed to the front of the computer under the keyboard. The membrane keyboard is functional. Is this a hack to add an external keyboard or could it be a hijacked joystick port modified as a RS232 port? The latter would need a modified OS right?

I think you'd have open it to find out for sure, but most likely I think it would be a keyboard hack. I think any decent hacker who did a large amount of coding would almost have to hack the 400 keyboard. Problem for you would be that to use another keyboard with it you would have to hack a keyboard in the exact same way the original user did. I'm not sure if there was any standard method for doing this in the day but I have read many stories of people doing this hack. But it could be any number of things. I hacked an external 25 pin for the sio port on my 800xl just cuz when I build things for my atari its easier to get my hands on then an actual atari sio cable.

Edited by Dripfree

Could be either - a proper RS232 would need level converters and in any case it'd be bit-banging if through the joystick ports.

Equally it might be just a parallel port, 16 bits available for I/O - having the single connector would be more convenient for some projects.

Pulling the machine apart would be the quickest way to work it out.

I seem to remember back when I first had a 400 (circa 1982 or so) there were a number of keyboard hacks out there, including a kit which involved just such a modification to the 400. My memory may be mistaken but if you take it apart and determine that it is indeed related to the keyboard, it might be interesting to browse scanned archives of early-80's computer magazines for ads to see if you can figure it out.

Edited by DrVenkman

Weird! I found a 400 at a retro gaming shop that has a 25 pin DB connector like RS232 modems used. I can only see through the vent holes that there is ribbon cable connected to it and headed to the front of the computer under the keyboard. The membrane keyboard is functional. Is this a hack to add an external keyboard or could it be a hijacked joystick port modified as a RS232 port? The latter would need a modified OS right?

I have a 1200XL keyboard I modded about 20 to 25 years ago to connect externally via ribbon cable to a 400, I installed a DB25 underneath the right side with the end of the ribbon cable soldered to the 22 pins of the keyboard connector on the bottom of the mainboard. Both keyboards were functional.

Are you sure it isn't a 5200 joystick port? If it is, it means the previous owner had an XEGS keyboard he plugged into it.

Are you sure it isn't a 5200 joystick port? If it is, it means the previous owner had an XEGS keyboard he plugged into it.

It's a 25 pin DB male connector. I'm going back to the shop and next time I think he might let me open them up so I can take a look at what its connected to.

I seem to remember back when I first had a 400 (circa 1982 or so) there were a number of keyboard hacks out there, including a kit which involved just such a modification to the 400.

Man, that is EXACTLY the one I was thinking about. I saw ads for that thing way back when, and after I'd spent hours typing in BASIC programs on my 400's membrane keyboard, I'd start fantasizing ..:)