IGNORED

Advertizer PHM 3063 - what is it and how is it used?

majestyx

While going through my Cyc DVD, I came across the ROM for this Command Module, but there is no manual included. The only information provided in the main Cyc PDF file is this:

"Does not produce an entry in Master Selection List. Subprograms in module get called from TI Basic. Must do CALL FILES(9) before using. Note that PHM3063 clashes with the same number assigned to ACS Protection."

Sure enough, when it is inserted, only PRESS 1 FOR TI BASIC shows up. Typing CALL FILES(9) in TI BASIC doesn't seem to do anything that I can see. So what exactly is this cartridge for and how is it used? Is there a manual available for it anywhere? I guess it would be in German, since I found one web page that stated it is the German version of InfoSpot, which still tells me nothing, and another page that also mentions it is a German market cartridge.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

You need the 'cassette tape' with the BASIC program on it.

As far as I know that original tape does not exist or been found yet.

But basically before the Demo module was produced, in the early days of /4 marketing store that wish to show off what the system could do, would load in this module which adds a ton of new commands to TI BASIC, and then load the store demo written in this 'enhanced basic' via tape to show off to new customer what their $1,300 would buy and give them when going home, to find out that stock TI BASIC could not do anything, so they be stuck playing video chess and dreaming of days when more modules would be produced.

Here is most of known info about it, sadly good old Google has REMOVED the videos on Youtube showing you more of how it works:

To: ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:43 AM

Subject: [TI-99/4A] Re: Release of Advertizer Module to the community

here are two Demo Videos from the Advertiser-Modul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9CrZQCdB1Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF75Ypq_aQE

Hide message history

--- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Klaus L" <ticlub_austria@...> wrote:

>

> Hello everybody!

>

> After we will get complete packages for Test Trainer 1 and Computergraphik to the community - thanks Bernhard & Michael Zapf - let's go one step further and release another module to the community only a few will know: Advertizer!

>

> It's an european module and doesn't even have a PHM number on it!

> Copyright year: 1981.

>

> It's purpose: usage on faires and shops to advertize for products using self made animations. Only TI Basic programming is required.

>

> I bought this cartridge late last year, it was part of a collection from Thomas Fiedler, he had a TI Shop in Vienna and published a TI magazine for several years in the 80's. Today - 30 years later - he has no idea how he got to the cartridge. My guess it has todo with the Cebit'83 from Germany.

>

> Bernhard and me have read out the cartridge last weekend using the Gram Supermodul II (Workshop Wiesbaden/Germany). I think it uses a slightly other header than the Gram Kracker.

>

> You will find the copied rom file ADV, and the all known CARWARS so that you can compare its file header with your Gram device.

> Furthermore there are several pics of the cartridge inside the zip file and a demo data disk the TI-Club Köln/Germany preserved back then.

> The demo programs give you instructions on the commands through their demos, if you understand the language.

>

> Get the cartridge and its pics here:

> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BN5O8BTP

>

> Showing only TI Basic in the title menu is by purpose!

>

> All the added commands I have found among the code of the programs:

> CALL AD

> CALL PAUSE(4)

> CALL CASOFF

> CALL CASON

> CALL CAS

> CALL A(21,24,2,Z,ZX,1,14)

> CALL D(1,10,4,LEN(M$),M$)

> CALL S(3,3,10)

> CALL G(5,2,12,LEN(L$),L$)

> CALL LOGO(Y,X,2)

> CALL MUSIC( 8)

> CALL TEXT(18,8,L$)

> CALL PREDEFD(1)

> CALL PREDEFS(2)

> CALL PREDEFL(4)

> CALL LOADD(3)

> CALL LOADS(3)

> CALL LOADL(2)

> CALL COLORG( 8)

> CALL COLORC(4)

> CALL ENTER(2)

> CALL FLASH(2,3,4,1)

> CALL FRAMED(3,5,3,8,4,24,16)

> CALL FRAMES(3,10,2,4,4,26,15)

> CALL FRAMEL(3,4,3,3,3,25,20)

> CALL CHARSET(2)

> CALL SCROLL(2)

> CALL MENU(V,10,3,4,A$(1),A$(2),A$(3),A$(4),A$(5))

> CALL GRAPSET(2)

> CALL LIST(2,2,7,42,A$(1),A$(2),A$(3),A$(4))

> CALL GSET(1)

> CALL CSET(2)

> CALL BOXS(1,13,4,5,6)

> CALL BOXD(1,13,4,5,6)

> CALL BOXL(1,13,4,5,6)

> CALL DX2(6,8,4,25,"WIR BEGRUESSEN SIE RECHT")

>

> That's what I call enhancements!

>

> It's interesting that the demo programs always reference this as Advertiser while the cartridge label clearly says Advertizer.

>

> Does anyone have informations about the "Infospot" cartridge which is supposed to be the english version of Advertizer!?

>

> What we still need is the original manual to Advertizer!

>

> Klaus

> TI-99 Club Austria

>

Hope Klaus does not mind me posting up his old message here. -- That's all I know folks about it. :)

• Like 1

With the demise of megaupload, does anyone know if that user-group demo disk image is anywhere to be found? I'd guess it's likely somewhere on WHT, but where is anyone's guess.

EDIT: Just found the above referenced thread and I see that the files are included in that original message. Thanks, Gary, for the lead!

Edited by majestyx

With the demise of megaupload, does anyone know if that user-group demo disk image is anywhere to be found? I'd guess it's likely somewhere on WHT, but where is anyone's guess.

EDIT: Just found the above referenced thread and I see that the files are included in that original message. Thanks, Gary, for the lead!

I don't have much access to Yahoo, so if post the files here for everyone, it would be most welcome.

I've attached the v9t9 disk image file from the yahoo posting Gary referenced as an attachment.

Also, I tried converting it to a PC99 disk image but the program supplied with PC99 (from 1997) only converts single density V9T9 disks. Trying to figure out another way to do it.

ad-koeln.dsk

Edited by majestyx
  • Like 3

I've attached the v9t9 disk image file from the yahoo posting Gary referenced as an attachment.

Also, I tried converting it to a PC99 disk image but the program supplied with PC99 (from 1997) only converts single density V9T9 disks. Trying to figure out another way to do it.

ti-dir by fred kaal should do it

open pc99 disk in one window, v9t9 disk in the other..copy files

Tried that too, but the Copy file(s) choice is greyed out. Again, it works from PC99 to V9T9, not the other way.

I am doing it the hard way, which I believe may be the only way, and am using the utilities included with PC99 to convert each file on the disk which I copied to a DOS directory using TIDir, then creating a disk image with each file on it (the utility only allows one file per disk due to the layout of PC99 disk files), then using Disk Manager 2 to copy each file to a master AD-KOELN disk. I'll post the finished result when I'm done.

Edited by majestyx

Tried that too, but the Copy file(s) choice is greyed out. Again, it works from PC99 to V9T9, not the other way.

I am doing it the hard way, which I believe may be the only way, and am using the utilities included with PC99 to convert each file on the disk which I copied to a DOS directory using TIDir, then creating a disk image with each file on it (the utility only allows one file per disk due to the layout of PC99 disk files), then using Disk Manager 2 to copy each file to a master AD-KOELN disk. I'll post the finished result when I'm done.

Ok then probably the other java based one would do it: http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php/TIImageTool