IGNORED

2600 remote start and select

onemoretime

I have been curious for a while now. There was a feller that added another db-9 port to his 2600 that allowed a dedicated controller to reset and select a game. If a guy had a few oem parts and some relays laying around, what would stop him from using the cx 42 remote controllers for the same purpose? Since the reset and start switches are momentary, I suppose that you would only have to use two directions on the controller, which would leave open spots to control difficulty, and maybe a latching relay to take the place of the toggle switch that the pause kits use.

In theory... with a custom cable with more wiring you could probably just add another button to a standard stick. Have it such that pressing it allows grounding of the select or start by pushing left or right at the same time. Other end of the cable has a Y-splitter to goto an added port.

Most games ignore joystick directions in attract mode or while pressing select or start so it should work OK.

That's what the feller that did the mod more or less posted he did. My curiousity is that if it was done wirelessly, it could be done with controls and a module that most folk have and are never gonna use anyhow. A db-9 connector in the back of the unit where it could be unplugged and put out of site if you wanted to, and a few old bally slot machine relays or for you clever circuit board types, a few transistors for the wireless to kick. I just thought it would be kind of neat to be able to keep the controllers and extensions stock...

Although, as you stated quite brilliantly, a clever individual could make use of a separate button and reuse one of the inputs already available. But, you know, a programmer type could maybe make it work without adding anymore external wiring/switches. There are games that you can still control with the controller after a game ends (think space invaders), but it's not like it has reason to HAVE to be that way. Hmmm.... something that could determine an end of game event and control a switch (I may say switch, whether or not the switch is a mechanical type or a transistor, but you know what I mean), that would switch the controller inputs to a different function.... Gonna have to think on that one...