IGNORED

Vectrex 2014 Project Games Overlays Instructions Apps Docs

Bodyshots

Asking a question if you read it is not being defensive. I'm glad you clarified you were not referring to me. If you would of communicated this originally I would of not made the post.

Repeating something that was already mentioned in this post seemed out of place, so obviously one would assume you didn't read it.

There is no issue here, there are currently no roms here. I've posted pictures and have begun to contact developers and work alongside some members.

Nothing here from the beginning has been done in a wrong manner.

My apologies for jumping the gun then ;) I guess my own comments are coloured by the fact I've seen some rather disrespectful behaviour on the part of some people lately with regard to this issue and has annoyed me somewhat being a developer myself. Those comments aside, the thread title is a bit misleading as AFAIK there has never been any shareware available for Vectrex and much of what is available is not public domain either.

I am a little frustrated from the beginning of this post. I'm not on any other Vectrex sites and I do not understand why compiling an up to date rom list that is allowed to be shared is such a big deal!

I participate in the Atari 2600 scene and there has never been an issue there.

Can someone please tell me why there seems to be no support relating to this for the Vectrex?

YES, I understand not sharing a developers Rom. This is common knowledge. I know the proper procedures to take.

What am I missing here? Is there another real issue? I don't see why Chris keeps going on about this. I've clearly conveyed my sentences.

The only thing that currently seems obvious is that people who currently own their Vectrex, want to quietly hold on to it, don't want new people to join the scene and enjoy this great little console.

My apologies for jumping the gun then ;) I guess my own comments are coloured by the fact I've seen some rather disrespectful behaviour on the part of some people lately with regard to this issue and has annoyed me somewhat being a developer myself. Those comments aside, the thread title is a bit misleading as AFAIK there has never been any shareware available for Vectrex and much of what is available is not public domain either.

Well if the title is misleading then that is 'my bad' As I mentioned I've only just purchased my Vec in May of this year and I am not fully aware of what may be available for the Vec. I want to get this thread on track. As a developer, what would you suggest I change the title to? I don't want to attract the wrong attention.

It is our human nature to want to own, or have something rare that few people have. There is always some kind of personal satisfaction when you've obtained 'something' that has eluded your grasp. It depends what that 'something' is to you. Whether it is a materialistic item or not. Whatever it is that has some kind of importance to you.

This will never go away unless a meteor ends life on this planet.

Kudos to those that stand up for what they believe in.

I think there has been a misunderstanding, due to the screenshots of folders I automatically assumed this was to be a ROM archive...I suspect Chris Tumber did also. I doubt anyone would have an issue with an up-to-date list of roms as long as no copyright materials were being distributed. Chris Tumber has had his works included on several commercial multicarts, CD ROMs etc without his permission before and this happened again very recently (the issue is now resolved). He left the Vectrex scene once before due to this happening and now that he has returned, he noticed it happening again. I'm sure you can understand his frustration and the sensitivity of this issue in the scene right now. Again, my apologies for misunderstanding your intent. Thanks for your efforts.

*edit* I think just removing the "shareware and pd" part would cause less confusion.

Edited by KidQuaalude

Chris Tumber has had his works included on several commercial multicarts, CD ROMs etc without his permission before and this happened again very recently (the issue is now resolved).

Sounds good, I was unaware. He mentioned that he has to have these items removed from eBay. Well, I have not seen anything on ebay in this form since May. And I do a 'new search' for 'Vectrex' once daily. He didn't mention, 'in the past'

People are crazy for home-brews on ebay. Especially the original 3-D Imager. I see the cost spiral to some insane numbers, well beyond my max bid. I will definitely be approaching Madtronix soon for one of his reproductions. I'm thankful for his large amount of contributions with keeping the Vectrex alive and well. Eventually I will get my hands on an original though (insert mad laughter here)

Vectrex Enthusiasts are very active and supportive. New members enter all the time and every time people ask where old or new games can be found, its answered. Seems almost once a week. People are always pointed in the right direction. If you chose to buy a programmable multicart from Richard Hutchinson or Juan Mateos, you're directed to the appropriate places to download games, in addition to the ones already on the cart. Parabellum has also included most of the files with ParaJVE for emulation, so there's not really a need for a "rom set", even if they were Public Domain which none are. Even Der Luchs is not saying his stuff is Public Domain, only that you may include them.

As far as original releases go, pictures, box art and manual scans are all pretty much found together on Spike's Big Page or Vectrex World or Digital Press, so you're not really doing anything new. And unless you go to a developers website, most websites list developers websites, forums or pages for information, so there's already a great big circle of information for anyone with half a second to look for it. So, a big shareware file of information and files that other people made available and you copied to distribute for yourself isn't providing anything new or useful.

If you would like to provide a useful and innovative service to the Vectrex community in which you don't have to ignore the naysayers, then you can do as previously suggested and just contribute pictures, information and links to the Vectrex Wikia to make it as complete as possible and make it a one stop source for Vectrex information. Not a soul will discourage you from that.

I am a little frustrated from the beginning of this post. I'm not on any other Vectrex sites and I do not understand why compiling an up to date rom list that is allowed to be shared is such a big deal!

I participate in the Atari 2600 scene and there has never been an issue there.

Can someone please tell me why there seems to be no support relating to this for the Vectrex?

YES, I understand not sharing a developers Rom. This is common knowledge. I know the proper procedures to take.

What am I missing here? Is there another real issue? I don't see why Chris keeps going on about this. I've clearly conveyed my sentences.

The only thing that currently seems obvious is that people who currently own their Vectrex, want to quietly hold on to it, don't want new people to join the scene and enjoy this great little console.

I think the responses to you have been mostly informative and pretty tame actually. Not that you've done anything wrong (aside from proposing you'd redistribute content you have not rights to). Sarcasm aside, I don't believe you've done anything wrong. This is just a touchy subject, and it seems the 2600 (while not alone) is one of those rare machines where the homebrew scene is very open and forgiving.

The Coleco scene used to be quite harsh to newcomers wanting homebrews. I remember a few choice discussions in that forum a few years back.

Also, you should join this board: http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/

• Like 1