IGNORED

Trying to own all of the Atari systems, did I get a decent deal?

Noah98

It all started with me picking up an XEGS last year and loving it. I went on to get a Flashback 2 and an av modded 2600. I soon started hunting down a ton of 2600 games and reliving my childhood memories of my first console.

Last week I got the bug to have all of the Atari systems and overpaid for a 7800 at my local game shop.

Yesterday I went back to that shop and saw the 5200 that had been sitting there for some time. I tried to be strong after spending more than I wanted to for the 7800, but decided to try and cut a deal for the 5200. Here's what I got for $69.99:

4 port system in good cosmetic shape

2 working controllers (after quite a few failed attempts at fixing them and swapping out)

16 games (only Pac Man has an overlay):

1. Star Raiders

2. Defender

3. Joust

4. Super Breakout

5. Countermeasure

6. Pac Man

7. Kangaroo

8. Jungle Hunt

9. Galaxian

10. Mario Brothers

11. Space Invaders

12. Qbert

13. Frogger

14. Realsports Baseball

15. Vanguard

16. Centipede

I'm happy with it, but I'd love some feedback! The only game left that I really want is Gremlins. Is that hard to find/expensive? I might also want. Berzerk, but I think the 7800 version with Frenzy might be better.

• Like 1

That price isn't bad at all. You did well with that. Gremlins is hard to find, from what I understand. If you don't want to get an Atarimax multi-cart, Gremilns has been converted to the 8-bit computer. I've never played Frenzy on 7800. I've played it on Colecovision and I don't consider it a better game than Berzerk....

That price isn't bad at all. You did well with that. Gremlins is hard to find, from what I understand. If you don't want to get an Atarimax multi-cart, Gremilns has been converted to the 8-bit computer. I've never played Frenzy on 7800. I've played it on Colecovision and I don't consider it a better game than Berzerk....

I agree that Frenzy isn't better, but the 7800 version of Frenzy also includes Berzerk I think.

Is there a homebrew cartridge version of Gremlins for the 8-bit computer?

I agree that Frenzy isn't better, but the 7800 version of Frenzy also includes Berzerk I think.

Is there a homebrew cartridge version of Gremlins for the 8-bit computer?

That is very cool if Berzerk is included with Frenzy! I'd like to check that out myself.

I'm not sure about Gremlins on cart for the A8... but I know people can make one for you.

Edited by Official Ninja

That is very cool if Berzerk is included with Frenzy! I'd like to check that out myself.

I'm not sure about Gremlins on cart for the A8... but I know people can make one for you.

That would be really cool if I could get some of the homebrews or 5200 conversions on cartridge for my 800xl or XEGS. Who should I contact?

Contact Al for some 5200 homebrews and conversions . I highly recommend Oil's Well which Al can put on cart now .

I love Oil's Well! Definitely one I would love to have but haven't been able to track down. Who is Al? Can he create 8 bit computer carts or just 5200/7800/2600?

I love Oil's Well! Definitely one I would love to have but haven't been able to track down. Who is Al? Can he create 8 bit computer carts or just 5200/7800/2600?

Albert owns this site . Here is a link to the Oil's Well thread . He put it on cart for the 5200 . If you look at post 50 there is a link to redproductions .

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=949

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=951

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=950

Bob's 7800 Frenzy definitely includes Berzerk. It's really great. If you have a 7800, you can't go wrong with Bob's games. They are all spot on!

On topic. I think that you got a really great deal on that 5200 bundle. Especially if the controllers work.

Gremlins is a fun game. I got lucky and bought and 11 game CIB lot that included Gremlins, Popeye, Berzerk, Vanguard, Ballblazer, Ms. Pac-Man, Qix, Pitfall, Pengo, Kangaroo and Galaxian for $80. I didn't have any of those CIB so it was worth it to me. I try to keep an eye out for lots with rare/semi rare games. You can always resell/trade the duplicates!

Yesterday I went back to that shop and saw the 5200 that had been sitting there for some time. I tried to be strong after spending more than I wanted to for the 7800, but decided to try and cut a deal for the 5200. Here's what I got for $69.99:

4 port system in good cosmetic shape

2 working controllers (after quite a few failed attempts at fixing them and swapping out)

16 games (only Pac Man has an overlay):

1. Star Raiders

2. Defender

3. Joust

4. Super Breakout

5. Countermeasure

6. Pac Man

7. Kangaroo

8. Jungle Hunt

9. Galaxian

10. Mario Brothers

11. Space Invaders

12. Qbert

13. Frogger

14. Realsports Baseball

15. Vanguard

16. Centipede

I'm happy with it, but I'd love some feedback! The only game left that I really want is Gremlins. Is that hard to find/expensive? I might also want. Berzerk, but I think the 7800 version with Frenzy might be better.

Nice find. I'd recommend also getting a Trak-Ball and Missile Command. Also Space Dungeon and Robotron: 2084 (boxed or at least with the controller holders) and overlays for Star Raiders. Don't forget the Tempest homebrew/completed prototype and Adventure II!

Nice find. I'd recommend also getting a Trak-Ball and Missile Command. Also Space Dungeon and Robotron: 2084 (boxed or at least with the controller holders) and overlays for Star Raiders. Don't forget the Tempest homebrew/completed prototype and Adventure II!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm on the hunt for a cheap coupler and Space Dungeon + Robotron. Not sure where to get the Star Raiders overlays.

I already have Missle Command on the XEGS and an Atari Trackball with the Trackball mode setting. Is it the same as the 5200 version?

5200 Trackball has the same plug as 5200 controller so 9 pin plug won't work, The 5200 trackball is built like a tank and awesome!

As for coupler and space dungeon/robotron that is the only way to really enjoy those games but they are not that easy to come by, With a little patience you can find them in the $25+ dollar range. (I got my CIB space dungeon with coupler for $25 on EBay about 6 months ago but that took me a few months to find.)

Edited by Hyperboy

5200 Trackball has the same plug as 5200 controller so 9 pin plug won't work, The 5200 trackball is built like a tank and awesome!

As for coupler and space dungeon/robotron that is the only way to really enjoy those games but they are not that easy to come by, With a little patience you can find them in the $25+ dollar range. (I got my CIB space dungeon with coupler for $25 on EBay about 6 months ago but that took me a few months to find.)

Sorry! I meant is the game (missle command) not the trackball the same. If the games are identical I might not want to pursue the 5200 trackball.

Sorry! I meant is the game (missle command) not the trackball the same. If the games are identical I might not want to pursue the 5200 trackball.

The games are more or less identical. But the Trak-Ball is worth having for Centipede (and Millipede) as well as the homebrew Tempest. And then you don't have to pull out your XEGS just to play Missile Command, right? I'd also consider finding/making a Paddle controller (modified joystick) in order to really enjoy Super Breakout and the homebrew Castle Crisis (Warlords).

You want to own all the Atari systems, as you say, this is what needs to be done.

• Like 1

A contributor on Atari Age named Boxpressed has a great guide for 5200 buying and selling here http://retroauction.com/buying-and-selling-an-atari-5200/

I picked up an Atari 5200 a year ago and love it. If you are familiar with the common games (and from your list it looks like you will be) here are some games worth tracking down:

1. Rescue on Fractalus

2. Gremlins (as you mentioned)

3. Pitfall II (it has an additional adventure after you beat it which is not on all other versions)

4. Space Dungeon with coupler

5. Robotron with coupler

6. Berzerk

Those six games, in my opinion, are what make the 5200 worth owning. Popeye is pretty common and is a great version as well.

I added Space Dungeon, Qix, and Missile Command to my collection. Still looking for a joystick coupler and Robotron for a reasonable price. I actually have Robotron for my 7800 and XEGS. Is there a cheap coupler available for the older Atari joysticks? Also trying to get Berzerk and River Raid on the cheap.

I have Rescue on Fractalus and Pitfall II on my XEGS. I think both are identical to the 5200 versions.

Atarimax would be awesome when I can afford it!

Yes, Rescue on Fractalus and Pitfall II are also on 8-bit and identical as far as I know. I remember getting a 7800 and seeing a screenshot for Rescue on Fractalus on the back of the 7800 box. I was so confused when I could not find it anywhere.

5$ is a great price for K-Razy Shoot Out! It's certainly one of the more rare 5200 games. Yeah, it's pretty Berzerk-like, but it requires a different strategy when going for high scores.

One of the great things about 5200 collecting is that only one (Bounty Bob Strikes Back) of the 69 original games is really hard to find/expensive when collecting loose games.

Boxed games are a different story completely. I've been working on these, but BBSB will probably forever be out of reach. Quintana Roo and K-Razy Shoot Out don't come up for sale often, and seem to go for a fairly high price when they do. And, much to my surprise, many of the Activision games are pretty hard to come by as well. Meteorites, Zaxxon and Death Star Battle have a reputation for being rare, but they seem to come up for sale more often than the more supposedly common Activision games (Zenji, Beamrider, Zone Ranger, Decathlon, etc.)