IGNORED

Finally got a 7800

Noah98

I finally got a 7800 after multiple failed attempts on ebay and nothing in the marketplace. I definitely overpaid though but I didn't mind too much because I supported my local game shop.

I paid $120 for:

System in decent shape but It needed a good cleaning and the metal plate had quite a few scratches. I buffed them out as best as I could and it looks better. Three of the stock pro controllers all working and one broken one for parts. Three games: Choplifter, Karateka, and Pole Position 2. I was supposed to get 20 free games, but they only had three for the 7800 and I already exhausted their supply of 2600 games. To compensate they gave me a gift card with $17 to be used on any Atari product at any of their locations.

So, how bad did I do? I feel like I should have paid a lot less, but i didn't have any non ebay options and I ran out of patience!

At least you went local as opposed to ebay, but yeah you got kind of killed. Even considering the gift card. OTOH, getting what you want when you want it has to be worth something!

Go get 7800 Joust (my fav version)and it will have been more worth it! ;)

I got a sealed copy of Joust for $6 so I'm good!

besides on ebay I really do not see many older gaming consoles at local game stores or even thrift stores anymore. But I got lucky when I found my 7800 at a pawn shop of all places about 16 years ago the owner had a 100.00 marked on it but I asked him how long he had it and he told me he purchased it a few years ago not knowing how out of date it was and if I really wanted it he would take his original investment of 35.00 and it came with 10 7800 games in their boxes + 5 loose and over 30 2600 carts so taking your time and looking around can pay off. But now that you have one check out The AA store there are some cool 7800 homebrews.

I got a sealed copy of Joust for $6 so I'm good!

Nice! My favorite version of one of my favorite games! If I was you I'd ignore those other games (well, maybe not choplifter, it's ok), grab a Sega Genesis controller with a separate turbo button for "flap", and have some fun! (Yes, I am a Joust cheater. But man does turbo work well on the 7800 version whereas for some reason it really doesn't with the 2600 or 8 bit version).

Dont worry if you overpaid on it or not.....you got it, and are having fun with it, and thats all it matters.

Its not like something you may have overpaid thousands on like a house or car.........a few Andrew Jackson's are not going to kill you!

Thanks for the moral support. Collectors have to stick together!

Dont worry if you overpaid on it or not.....you got it, and are having fun with it, and thats all it matters.

Its not like something you may have overpaid thousands on like a house or car.........a few Andrew Jackson's are not going to kill you!

While true, that attitude all the time will see quite a bit more than a few Andrew Jacksons going down the drain. He definitely overpaid (by three times the going rate, maybe less if you count a gift-card). We shouldn't be supportive of that. However, it doesn't have to end there. A 7800 is a great machine, with a blessed amount of homebrew out and coming out for it. Stick with AtariAge and don't be afraid to ask for something. Good luck with your future game hunting!

While true, that attitude all the time will see quite a bit more than a few Andrew Jacksons going down the drain. He definitely overpaid (by three times the going rate, maybe less if you count a gift-card). We shouldn't be supportive of that. However, it doesn't have to end there. A 7800 is a great machine, with a blessed amount of homebrew out and coming out for it. Stick with AtariAge and don't be afraid to ask for something. Good luck with your future game hunting!

I've already spent the gift card on stuff I wanted from the store anyway, so I break down my expense this way:

Console seems to be worth about $60. I haven't seen one with two working controllers sold for less than that on ebay if you include shipping.

An extra controller is worth about $15, but maybe slightly less.

So, $60 (console + 2 controllers) + $15 (extra controller) + $20 (gift card) = $95.

So, I estimate that I overpaid by $25. Since I'm supporting the only local game store that sells retro stuff, I'm not too concerned with $25! Besides, they gave me an awesome deal on a 5200 a week later!

• Like 1