IGNORED

restoring the keyboard

dphirschler

Is there a way to edit my post?  I realized that I posted the wrong photo of the Alpha Lock fix.  In my first attempt, I put the diode in backwards.

This is the correct way.

image.thumb.png.c4ccc7d16d81b9ab065772a6c7ac3e2b.png

[NOTE: Previous post has now been edited and has the correct image.  So this post is redundant.]

Edited by PasadenaBrad
Added explanation that you can basically ignore this post now.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, PasadenaBrad said:

Is there a way to edit my post?  I realized that I posted the wrong photo of the Alpha Lock fix.  In my first attempt, I put the diode in backwards.

This is the correct way.

image.thumb.png.c4ccc7d16d81b9ab065772a6c7ac3e2b.png

Non-subscribers have a very short window in which to edit posts.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Non-subscribers have a very short window in which to edit posts.

I see.  Do you think an admin would be able to unlock the post for editing?  It's not to help me, it's to help whoever reads it later.  I just happened to see this thread and thought maybe I could be helpful.

[Addendum.  I went ahead and became a subscriber and edited the post.]

Edited by PasadenaBrad
new information provided

14 hours ago, chue said:

Nice writeup, Brad!

I recently had a go at this as well, and did not have the success you did.  I did not do everything that you did, so I will go back and try it when I get some time.

When I received my keyboard, only one key worked.  Now, most of the keys work but there are few that do not.  Of the ones that do work, there are many that need debouncing.  That is, when I press a key once, I get 4 - 5 characters on screen.

My research found a lot of the same fixes as described in your post, but I did find one other possible fix.

1. Max's video, which heats the mylar with a heatgun.  I tried this but it had no effect for me.

2. Cleaning the carbon pads with alcohol.  I did this and it certainly improved things for me.

3. Fixing the traces on the keyboard and mylar.  I did not do this, but will go back and do so.

4. Making the keys stiffer, using some heat shrink.  I tried this but don't have the right sized heat shrink, and gave up on it.  Here's the video:

I think that over time, a lot of things can degrade on this model keyboard.  Each keyboard may have its unique failure points; so a particular fix for one keyboard might not resolve issues with a different keyboard.

I really am interested in your Atari experience. I am trying to fully understand Atari.  When I was in high school, the Atari 800 was my dream machine, and I had a friend that let me use his once in a while. I remember getting into display list interrupts and players and sprites and De Re Atari and all that.

I finally convinced my dad to spring for a machine in my senior year, and we made a deposit on an Atari 1450XL, my true dream machine.  But Atari never released it, and we got our deposit back, and I never owned a computer of my own until 5 years later, a Gateway 386.  I missed out on the 8-bit generation altogether.

I have been trying to understand where the 1200XL fits into the Atari Spectrum.  There is 600XL and 800XL.  I think perhaps the 1200XL would be the closest to my 1450XL dream machine but am unsure.  Wikipedia says that the 800XL replaced the 1200 XL.  Am I parsing it all correctly?  Was this "replacement" a technology enhancement, or just marketing?  What would a true enthusiast want?

8 hours ago, PasadenaBrad said:

I really am interested in your Atari experience. I am trying to fully understand Atari.  When I was in high school, the Atari 800 was my dream machine, and I had a friend that let me use his once in a while. I remember getting into display list interrupts and players and sprites and De Re Atari and all that.

I finally convinced my dad to spring for a machine in my senior year, and we made a deposit on an Atari 1450XL, my true dream machine.  But Atari never released it, and we got our deposit back, and I never owned a computer of my own until 5 years later, a Gateway 386.  I missed out on the 8-bit generation altogether.

I have been trying to understand where the 1200XL fits into the Atari Spectrum.  There is 600XL and 800XL.  I think perhaps the 1200XL would be the closest to my 1450XL dream machine but am unsure.  Wikipedia says that the 800XL replaced the 1200 XL.  Am I parsing it all correctly?  Was this "replacement" a technology enhancement, or just marketing?  What would a true enthusiast want?

It would be better to ask in one of the Atari forums.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PasadenaBrad said:

I really am interested in your Atari experience.

I actually don't have any, other than playing friends' 2600s and 5200s.  The video I link was for an Atari machine, but the keyboard was made by Mitsumi. It appears to have the same mylar design as our TI keyboard, and therefore I thought it might be useful to try the same fix.

• Like 1