IGNORED

Anyone have a good source for floppy disks?

ryanmercer

Playing games via the SIO2SD is just stupid to me, might as well not even have the hardware and just use an emulator on an RPi at that point.

I have a very different perspective. I have an SIO2SD that I use with my 130XE.

From the point of view of the 130XE, the SIO2SD is alien technology. It's wonderful. If such a device had existed for my 800 back in 1983, I would have done anything I could to get one.

I bought a 130XE because I found the emulator experience wanting. But there are aspects of the '80s Atari experience - type-in programs, and cassette tapes for instance - that I'm perfectly happy to leave in the past. Floppy disks and floppy drives are on that list too. I love the experience of running these apps on actual hardware, but I have limited space and don't want to deal with the bulk and inconvenience of floppy drives, as well as the fragility of the medium.

I realize everyone has their own definition of authenticity when seeking their nostalgia fix. I don't think a device that appears to the Atari as an infinite sized, massively fast disk drive diminishes the authenticity of the experience one bit. Rather, it quite enhances it.

Edited by FifthPlayer

I was just warning that he'd have to deal with NOS disks, because someone had expressed some opposition to it.

I also have MANY disks from 30+ years ago that aren't showing a bit of age. :)

IMHO, 5.25" SD & DD are the most stable disk denominations in history. ;)

• Like 1

When I do have disk problems it's mostly with a 1050 scratching the disks when writing usually as the pressure pad has worn away (and these are ususally ones I have boged to replace using one from a cassette tape) rather than the disks themselves. Reading the old disks are generally ok [kiss of death!] though to be honest I'm using APE for my assembler project as it needs several "reliable" disks

p.s. Can anyone else confirm about ATRs being supported from ALL other modern storage devices (not just APE)? :)

p.s. Can anyone else confirm about ATRs being supported from ALL other modern storage devices (not just APE)? :)

Do you mean software? (APE is a software program, not a "device"). .ATR files work boot and storage media with real Atari computers in APE (Windows), AspeQt, (Win/Linux/OS X) SIO Server(OS X) and SIO2OSX (OS X). I've personally used all of these.

I don't know why you think this is something unusual or to be questioned.

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 1

When I do have disk problems it's mostly with a 1050 scratching the disks when writing usually as the pressure pad has worn away (and these are ususally ones I have boged to replace using one from a cassette tape) rather than the disks themselves. Reading the old disks are generally ok [kiss of death!] though to be honest I'm using APE for my assembler project as it needs several "reliable" disks

As far as hard drive solutions, Ultimate 1MB + SIDE have ATR read/write support, and since Incognito mirrors these in a different form factor, it also does the same. IDE2.0+ has a different firmware which I believe is only in beta but I believe it gives this functionality. I don't own a MyIDE2 but I am fairly certain it can also do this.

Now of course, all the SIO2XX solutions are designed to simulate floppies so they by nature work with ATRs.

Funny how things change. I remember in the early eighties buying bulk 5 1/4 inch floppies at computer shows for something like 20 dollars. I think I got a stack of 100 for the 20 dollars. I have pretty much gotten rid of all my old 1.2m 5 1/4 floppies and have been buying 360k DD floppies that I see in the wild since the late nineties. I figure I have enough floppies to last me my lifetime since I will probably go the SIO2PC route.

Personally, I don't consider the SDrive or SIO2SD cheating or "too modern". SD cards might not have been around in the 80's but most storage devices were intelligent and had their own CPUs and RAM. The SDrive is actually far simpler than most genuine SIO floppy drives. I just consider them 3rd party storage devices. Same with most PBI/ECI HDD interfaces compatible with stock OS. Unlike the C64, Atari actually intended for new types of storage devices (including hard drives) to be connected and is flexible in this regard so I don't really consider it "stupid" to use an SIO2SD. Any more than I would think it was stupid to buy an MIO or BlackBox in the 80's. SIO2PC as a primary storage method with your Atari permanently tethered to a PC is kinda pointless though.

On that note, my current working setup is a 130XE w/ IDEPlus, 1050 "Happy Drive", 850 and single-chip USB SIO2PC (for file transfers or writing ATRs on PC to real floppies). A floppy drive is still worth having but I wouldn't trust it as my primary storage for stuff I want to keep forever.

• Like 1

Evidently, BASF brand floppies were warranted FOREVER...

Also, BASF had a time machine, and had brought some kind of Android tablet back from the future, as is evidenced by this ad they ran in a 1986 apple (InCider) magazine:

BASF.jpg

Heh is it a tablet or a cross between a HP-150 and a cocktail sitdown game cabinet? If it's shopped it had a lot of attention given to it, the finger casts an appropriate shadow on the bar graph and the thumb reflects.

Edit: Here is some info about that advertisement http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/3763 looks like a member HERE found it and another cleaned up the image a bit from the scan.

This cropped version is a bit brighter <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/3762?size=_original%20you%20can%20tell%20it" href="http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/3762?size=_original%20you%20can%20tell%20it" s%20not%20a%20real%20device%20in%20this%20version,%20the%20relfection%20of%20the%20hand%20is%20not%20to%20scale%20(fingers%20look%20like%20sausages%20for%20example).%20pretty%20inventive%20of%20basf%20(or%20at%20least%20the%20marketing%20firm%20they%20hired)%20though!"="">http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/3762?size=_original you can tell it's not a real device in this version, the relfection of the hand is not to scale (fingers look like sausages for example). Pretty inventive of BASF (or at least the marketing firm they hired) though!

Here is the first post about it here on Atari Age. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/167235-byte-magazine/page-9?do=findComment&comment=2169356

is it a tablet or a cross between a HP-150 and a cocktail sitdown game cabinet? If it's shopped it had a lot of attention given to it, the finger casts an appropriate shadow on the bar graph and the thumb reflects.

Heh. Dude.. in 1986? It wasn't photo"shopped".. It also wasn't anything real.. It was an ad showing what they envisioned the future of computing to be. (eg. your data will still be safe many years into the future because our disks are warranted forvever)

Notice the freaky looking shirt the guy is wearing with the low shirt pockets.. also an envisage of what the "future" could hold..

duhh..

It is kewl how they nailed tablet computing so closely though..

Heh. Dude.. in 1986? It wasn't photo"shopped"..

Really? DUH. I'm talking about the advertisement being a hoax like 'the good wive's guide' image that resurfaces every few years is 100% fake (as the publication it claims to be from never even existed), until I found the original scan of it on this forum which appears to rule out the advertisment being a fabrication.

Why would you think it was a fabrication when I TOLD YOU EXACTLY where it came from when I posted it?

Because this is the internet. I can claim I'm a time traveler sent back for an IBM 5100 but that means little without some evidence. However finding the original post where it first appeared online, as well as the scanned copy of the publication that it was discovered in... gives a little bit more credibility to the claim by actually providing the alleged source material.

Also, BASF had a time machine, and had brought some kind of Android tablet back from the future, as is evidenced by this ad they ran in a 1986 apple (InCider) magazine:

It's a TechCrunch CrunchPad - Michael Arrington brought it with him into the past to win an IP dispute against Chandra R. with evidence of "prior art"

crunchtablet-1.jpg?w=600&h=523

I have also never experienced any bad media from BASF. I've had phenomenal luck with generic/no label disks, Verbatim, Imation and the cheapo BitBank disks that I used to get at Poor Richard's Almanac when I was in Junior High (26+ years ago).

My highest failure rate? Sony 3.5" DSHD. Absolute garbage. I bought a 50-pack and 13 had unrecoverable errors - new; in package! I got ticked off and bought 50 of the black, no label disks from Software Etc. and had only 3 fail. It's kind of a crap shoot, I suppose.

Edited by Muzz73
  • Like 2