IGNORED

Altirra on iPad-Air (warning: EXPERIMENTAL)...

Faicuai

Forget all that - how are you running Windows on your ipad?

...Well, the iPad is not really running anything other than iOS and Microsoft's Remote Desktop Application (specifically coded for iOS).

...The actual machine that's running it is another "800" in the family (although another breed):

post-29379-0-06946400-1411873646_thumb.jpg

Because of its 12 physical cores (24 logical cores), Microsoft's SUPERB RDP v8.0 implementation, and tuned WiFi bandwidth (5.0Ghz), the Z800 reports a combined 2-3% CPU usage, with BOTH Altirra and my RDP session active.

FYI, you need a sustained / guaranteed 15 to 20 Mbps stream between the Z800 and iPad for optimum performance. The actual screen-play on the iPad is wonderful, with great color fidelity, and the sound (traveling at 256 kpbs on RDP's sound channel) is also very good, as well.

I also tested this on a Samesung Galaxy Note 10 (with Android), but the [iPad + iOS + RDP] combo is simply superior.

Again, just for fun! It DOES work, I have to say! ;)

Edited by Faicuai

Using RDP really feels like cheating to me...

Well, from a "purist" developmental p.o.v., I would also agree. However, look at it from the huge upside this concept offers:

1. Only one (1) central machine to install, mantain, and tune Windows.

2. Only one (1) central machine to install, mantain, and tune Altirra.

3. Access from potentially any place around my network coverage, from my Tablet, Phablet or even the smart-phone.

4. REMOTE access to Altirra, in the future, where bandwidth permits (LTE or fixed broadband), outside of my SoHo network.

5. In the Future, ZERO download deployment: Altirra is hosted on the cloud, and we run it directly as RemoteApp, with RemoteFX graphics (that is putting aside cloud-hosting costs, but just to show the vast implications).

This is just a simple test, the tip of the iceberg, though.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

Well, from a "purist" developmental p.o.v., I would also agree. However, look at it from the huge upside this concept offers:

1. Only one (1) central machine to install, mantain, and tune Windows.

2. Only one (1) central machine to install, mantain, and tune Altirra.

Well.. considering those aspects. Yes this could be more then meh. Does this setup get you a solid 30/60 FPS without slowdowns and stutter?

Well.. considering those aspects. Yes this could be more then meh. Does this setup get you a solid 30/60 FPS without slowdowns and stutter?

It seems so, to me: with I guaranteed 15-20Mbps on your WiFi spectrum (I would recommend 5.0 Ghz), the performance is impressive.

On my last internal load tests, I manage to extract a sustained 120Mbps @ 2.4Ghz and 200 Mbps @ 5.0Ghz. The latter band is the one I use for this special type of applications.

As for RDP, the data channel seems to max out about 145Mbps (the Z800's CPU usage meter does not even MOVE).

Edited by Faicuai