IGNORED

CD ROM

DoctorVell

Just curious...was there ever an Atari CD Rom drive made for the Atari ST systems (not Falcon or TT) using the normal hard drive plugin? I know of SCSI used with the Link cartridge.

I don't need a CDRW nor a DVD Rom drive, just a regular CD ROM reader is fine (speed does not matter because I know SCSI one I have is 1x speed).

-- Doctor Vell

www.doctorvell.com

The Atari CDAR504 has an ACSI interface built-in so that it could be directly connected to the ST without a host adapter. It had limited release here in North America. I think it was released in Canada because one dealer here in the US was importing them since Atari US would not release it here. There may be more in Europe and definitely Australia since Soundscope was developed and released there as a successful OEM product.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Was also curious about adding a CD rom drive to my STe. Looks like they are super rare...not a single Atari brand one on ebay

this sort of thing should work though shouldn't it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamichi-MBR-7-7-disc-SCSI-CD-Changer/111870810919

Can't see why not. Any SCSI CD-ROM should work. I'm doing something similar on my Amiga 2000.

You won't find an Atari brand one other than the previously mentioned CDAR504, and those might as well be prototypes for as often as they pop up.

• Like 2

Where would one find the drivers to get an SCSI drive working? Plug and play, or would it require some serious tinkering?

Would this be the right cable to hook up to an ST?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monoprice-749-HPDB50-M-DB25-M-SCSI-Cable-Molded-6ft-/391082113833?hash=item5b0e4f7b29:g:uY0AAOSwyQtVwp~0

Edited by travistouchdown

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was also curious about adding a CD rom drive to my STe. Looks like they are super rare...not a single Atari brand one on ebay

this sort of thing should work though shouldn't it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamichi-MBR-7-7-disc-SCSI-CD-Changer/111870810919

I think it should work. I recall Anodyne's ExtenDOS as someone else mentioned listed the Nakamichi CD-ROMs as compatible with their software. I think it even takes advantage of the disc changing feature too. Best check their website.

Where would one find the drivers to get an SCSI drive working? Plug and play, or would it require some serious tinkering?

Would this be the right cable to hook up to an ST?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monoprice-749-HPDB50-M-DB25-M-SCSI-Cable-Molded-6ft-/391082113833?hash=item5b0e4f7b29:g:uY0AAOSwyQtVwp~0

No. What you need is a ACSI-to-SCSI host adapter like the ICD AdSCSI adapters (internal boards), the ICD Link/Link2 or WB Systemtechnik Link 96/Link97. Unfortunately, none are made anymore and are hard to find, though they show up on eBay occasionally. I haven't tried one myself, but it looks like Inventronik in Germany has an ASCI-SCSI host adapter that should be CD-ROM compatible.

• Like 1

Back in the day, I had two Pioneer 6-pack CD-ROM changers hooked up to my BBS. We

actually had 10 CD's online at one time.

Point being, Anodyne's software worked with them perfectly. I even had a script running

that let the caller activate the disc switching and pick whatever CD they wanted to look

at and download from.'

Roger Burrows software is top notch, IMHO.

• Like 2

For a lot of good info on using a CD-ROM with an Atari ST, check out Anodyne Systems web site:

http://www.anodynesoftware.com/

I use a CDRW with my Mega ST4 that runs my BBS for backup. Works great.

Looking back into this project now. This software site is great, the Extendos 4 software really looks like the way to go to get your SCSI CD Rom up and running on your ST..

I'm looking for a good External Drive on eBay right now and will either buy Extendos 2.1 from Atarifreakz uk, or Version 4 directly from Roger (may be worth it as it's only slightly more pricey at $40)

Back in the day, I had two Pioneer 6-pack CD-ROM changers hooked up to my BBS. We

actually had 10 CD's online at one time.

Point being, Anodyne's software worked with them perfectly. I even had a script running

that let the caller activate the disc switching and pick whatever CD they wanted to look

at and download from.'

Roger Burrows software is top notch, IMHO.

Was always fascinated with setups like this but never owned one myself. It's hard to say thanks to all the people who did this stuff so people like me could dial in, download a load of goodies after waiting a million hours to download and just feeling joy with running new software. Typically during the holidays, I remember downloading tons of things the night before and then after the family would leave with nothing left to do, I'd have a day of it with all the new program toys, whatever they may be =)

I'm looking for a good External Drive on eBay right now

I have a spare external Mac SCSI CD-ROM drive that I picked up with a bunch of other hardware a while ago. It's an AppleCD 300 or something, requires the CDs to go in those little cartridges (which I don't have).

Was always fascinated with setups like this but never owned one myself. It's hard to say thanks to all the people who did this stuff so people like me could dial in, download a load of goodies after waiting a million hours to download and just feeling joy with running new software. Typically during the holidays, I remember downloading tons of things the night before and then after the family would leave with nothing left to do, I'd have a day of it with all the new program toys, whatever they may be =)

Here locally, before the Internet took off, it was a lot of fun running my BBS. In our county, we had probably 4 or 5 BBS's, but DarkForce

was the most popular by far. The fact that it was running on all Atari hardware and software only made it even more special for me.

PS I've still got a 2 CD setup on my BBS that let's people switch. :)

post-5822-0-73457300-1457742532_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarkLord
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So after several months of moving I finally got my ST setup again (picture below.) I also finally have a desk and space to set up my Nakamichi CD Rom drive, and after working for five minutes, the thing dies on me! I installed extenDOS 4 and everything too...lol.

I'm assuming it's the PSU and wanted some AAer's opinion as to if this think is fixable. I switch the power switch on and off and nothing.... Could a capable hand fix this nice drive or am I out $100 buck?

Thanks!

post-38373-0-78059700-1475685666_thumb.jpg

I had that exact same Nakamichi MBR-7 on my TT030 a while back, but sold it on ebay. If you open the case you might find the equivalent of a 5v/12v PC power supply. I would think it could be fixed.

Edited by lp060
  • Like 1

I had that exact same Nakamichi MBR-7 on my TT030 a while back, but sold it on ebay. If you open the case you might find the equivalent of a 5v/12v PC power supply. I would think it could be fixed.

I had actually been watching that one for awhile since you were not overly far from me.... but then alas, when I was just about ready... it sold. :(

But I got some of your other GFA basic stuff you had back then!

So instead, I ended up getting a 200 disk jukebox that hopefully I can get working on the BBS.

Edited by Tillek