IGNORED

USPS Media Mail

Atari8bitCarts

I had a rude (literally) awaking while at the USPS office trying to ship some games this week. I was informed that computer media (games, etc) are no longer shippable under Media Mail. What is funny is that I just received another package a week ago in which the shipper sent me a game via Media Mail.

Any one else experience this? Thanx.

old posting.

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm

It's generally been the case that computer cartridges were not included in the "Media Mail" umbrella, and I've had the Post Office threaten to charge me more monies on two occasions where someone sent me carts via Media Mail (and, yes, they did open the packages). It is interesting to see they have now made it quite clear that computer games, regardless of media, are not eligible for Media Mail.

..Al

This women was so rude at the USPS that I had taken one of their priority medium boxes and put games in it (at home), then wrapped it with brown shipping paper, and when I tried to ship first class she said that it "felt" like and "looked" like one of their priority boxes therefore she warned me that they would open it and if it was return it to me for priority mail charge if it was.

Yes, I used one of their boxes. But really.

And their prices have gone up! Must be due to that crappy Amazon contract they have now to ship on Sunday's. They were going to nix Sat deliveries, now they ship on Sunday, go figure.

This women was so rude at the USPS that I had taken one of their priority medium boxes and put games in it (at home), then wrapped it with brown shipping paper, and when I tried to ship first class she said that it "felt" like and "looked" like one of their priority boxes therefore she warned me that they would open it and if it was return it to me for priority mail charge if it was.

Yes, I used one of their boxes. But really.

And their prices have gone up! Must be due to that crappy Amazon contract they have now to ship on Sunday's. They were going to nix Sat deliveries, now they ship on Sunday, go figure.

I don't blame them for going after people using Priority Mail boxes for other, less expensive shipping classes. The boxes are subsidized by the more expensive Priority Mail shipping rates. If you are using them to ship non-Priority Mail packages, you are ripping the post office off.

And the USPS prices have been going up rather steadily every year for some time now, so that's nothing new.

..Al

• Like 1

Uh she wasn't rude, you were comitting a federal crime... the priority boxes are for priority mail only, it's actually a criminal act (federal) to use a priority box for anything else. Had they wanted they could have had you charged with 'misuse of postal property'. Technically even re-using them after they've been used for priority service is a crime.

I mean... if you actually read the priority mailers and boxes they all state:

"This packaging is the property of the U.S. Postal Service and is provided solely for use in sending Priority mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of Federal Law. The packaging is not for resale."

• Like 1

I have funny stories about Media Mail. First, you might notice that, unless you're shipping something you sold on eBay, it is impossible to buy Media Mail postage from anything other than a post office counter. They don't offer Media Mail online, and even their 24-hour kiosks skimp on the option. So yes, they really don't you to use it.

Back in the '90s they cared a lot less, and many of the local employees figured video games qualified as media. I once shipped a box of Atari 2600 cartridges, fully expecting to pay for parcel post. The lady asked me what was in the box, I said video games, and she proceeded to ring me up for Media Mail. Of course I didn't complain.

Fast forward about a decade, I had a box of computer software (not video games) I was shipping, and I asked for Media Mail. I got the evil "I'm watching you" eye through the whole transaction.

I actually agreed when the post office defined game cartridges as unqualified for Media Mail. Yes, they have media on them, but it's wrapped in a bunch of computer hardware. If you can't ship circuit boards and computer chips as Media Mail, then it makes sense you can't ship cartridges that way. But then the post office lost that convenient excuse when consoles switched to optical discs, which in every other circumstance do qualify for Media Mail. Their jumping up and down and pointing and saying "EXCEPT THAT!" was a very obvious and very illogical money grab. But what can you do?

I have an auction for a bunch of Microsoft Flight Simulator discs and add-on packs on eBay right now. I listed it under "hobby and leisure" software, which it is, and I fully intend to ship it by Media Mail. It will be an interesting conversation if I have to argue that this isn't video games.

I have funny stories about Media Mail. First, you might notice that, unless you're shipping something you sold on eBay, it is impossible to buy Media Mail postage from anything other than a post office counter. They don't offer Media Mail online, and even their 24-hour kiosks skimp on the option. So yes, they really don't you to use it.

I can buy it through the Endicia app I use to print postage. I think I've only printed Media Mail postage once.

..Al

Uh she wasn't rude, you were comitting a federal crime... the priority boxes are for priority mail only, it's actually a criminal act (federal) to use a priority box for anything else. Had they wanted they could have had you charged with 'misuse of postal property'. Technically even re-using them after they've been used for priority service is a crime.

I mean... if you actually read the priority mailers and boxes they all state:

"This packaging is the property of the U.S. Postal Service and is provided solely for use in sending Priority mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of Federal Law. The packaging is not for resale."

Really some people, Federal Crime, it was one box. get over it. It's like you never used a UPS or FedEx box, or jay walked, or drove fast, or ....

I didn't steal someone's job. I didn't rob a bank. I used a box.

And I'll be the judge if someone was rude to me or not. Regardless of the 1st degree murder of a box.

Really some people, Federal Crime, it was one box. get over it. It's like you never used a UPS or FedEx box, or jay walked, or drove fast, or ....

I didn't steal someone's job. I didn't rob a bank. I used a box.

And I'll be the judge if someone was rude to me or not. Regardless of the 1st degree murder of a box.

"I didn't steal someone's job. I didn't rob a bank. I used a box". A box you didn't pay for, a box that is subsidized through the cost of priority shipping, a box that clearly indicates it is only for priority use.