IGNORED

Afterburner II vs. G-Loc vs. Afterburner III (SCD)

LynxVGL

I have Afterburner for my 32X which is almost arcade perfect, but was thinking of picking up the "regular" Genesis version and am a little confused by the different ports on the system.

Afterburner II looks lime a straight Genesis port, and G-loc is a port of arcade G-Loc, so what exactly IS Afterburner III on the Sega CD? Some weird mix of the two, or is actually G-Loc 2? I'm confused...

Thoughts about the different versions?

It really is the best of the bunch and the game didn't really have much business being on any of the other hardware prior.

I disagree - Afterburner was the first game I got for my Master System back in the day and loved it!

Afterburner 2 and G-Loc were letdowns. Not terrible, but not as good as they could have been.

Never played Afterburner 3 on Sega CD so I'm not sure about that one.

LynxVGL, on 02 Nov 2014 - 5:01 PM, said:

I have Afterburner for my 32X which is almost arcade perfect, but was thinking of picking up the "regular" Genesis version and am a little confused by the different ports on the system.

Afterburner II looks lime a straight Genesis port, and G-loc is a port of arcade G-Loc, so what exactly IS Afterburner III on the Sega CD? Some weird mix of the two, or is actually G-Loc 2? I'm confused...

Thoughts about the different versions?

I prefer Afterburner II on the Genesis to the 32X Afterburner. The control just feels better. Maybe it's because I played the Genesis version more.

I don't particularly like G-Loc. I don't hate it, but it wasn't what I was expecting. It feels too much like an NES Top Gun clone and too little like it's own thing.

Afterburner III has always seemed more like a G-Loc 2 to me than an Afterburner game. Like others have said, it's not very good. It doesn't make good use of the SegaCD at all. It feels like a half finished Genesis (not Sega CD) launch title.

I prefer Afterburner II on the Genesis to the 32X Afterburner. The control just feels better. Maybe it's because I played the Genesis version more.

I don't particularly like G-Loc. I don't hate it, but it wasn't what I was expecting. It feels too much like an NES Top Gun clone and too little like it's own thing.

Afterburner III has always seemed more like a G-Loc 2 to me than an Afterburner game. Like others have said, it's not very good. It doesn't make good use of the SegaCD at all. It feels like a half finished Genesis (not Sega CD) launch title.

Control is probably my only complaint about the 32X version. I'm looking to complete my Yu Suzuki Genesis collection so Afterburner and Hang-On need to be added to the collection. :)

Watching YouTube videos of Afterburner III it does look like a weird amalgamation of G-Loc and Afterburner. If I want G-Loc, I'll play G-Loc. I guess it's a case of keeping your peanut butter out of my chocolate kind of thing.

I've always preferred After Burner II.

After Burner III is a little TOO much like G-LOC, only with controls I can't quite get into... I can beat the game and all, it's definitely the EASIEST After Burner game, but I hate trying to line up shots, the switching between POVs...

After Burner 32X MAY be the closest to the arcade but unfortunately (like the arcade) when things get hot and heavy, all you see is smoke trails EVERY where; and I die time and time again, only because I can't see a THING that's happening.

Afterburner for 32x is considerably faster than the Sega Saturn port, so I would still give the edge to the 32x being the ultimate home port.

The master system version was a noble effort but the hardware just couldn't capture the arcade feel that the game was supposed to embody. I think this review sums it up pretty well:

http://videogamecritic.com/masterae.htm#Afterburner

I've never actually played Afterburner II on the Genesis but I've read mixed reviews..I'll have to check it out when I see a copy as most people seem to generally like it.

Afterburner for 32x is considerably faster than the Sega Saturn port, so I would still give the edge to the 32x being the ultimate home port.

It's only "faster" because the framerate chops up and makes it feel like it's quicker than it actually is. Other than that it's the same game.