IGNORED

Ordered a NOS PEB. Now what?

wyerd

This is getting expensive..........and FUN!!! Still have to get the HxC yet!

Yeah, I have more money into this 30 year old box that cannot even do 1/50th of what my modern PC can do, but the PC is BORING, the TI is my HOBBY and my nostalgia fix....and like you say, it's "FUN". :-D

Even though it's a hobby, I still have to use some common sense, I'd never pay $125.00 for TI-FDC and I don't think very highly of people trying to gouge others either. Every time I see an eBay seller trying to screw people, I write their name down in a little notebook so I'll be sure not to reward them later with any of my business.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have more money into this 30 year old box that cannot even do 1/50th of what my modern PC can do, but the PC is BORING, the TI is my HOBBY and my nostalgia fix....and like you say, it's "FUN". :-D

Even though it's a hobby, I still have to use some common sense, I'd never pay $125.00 for TI-FDC and I don't think very highly of people trying to gouge others either. Every time I see an eBay seller trying to screw people, I write their name down in a little notebook so I'll be sure not to reward them later with any of my business.

The NOS PEB is selling at a very reasonable price, so I'm not sure why the same guy is (trying) to sell the NOS FDC for $180. Mind you, there's also a NOS joystick going for $200 and people are buying them.

You're right about today's PCs, no fun at all. That's why I've gone all retro as well and buying the kit I used to have or wanted to. Now I have a Sinclair ZX81 with composite video mod and a Memotech 16K Rampack, TI99/4a which was the first computer I bought as I got fed up waiting for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum to materialise after its announcement, ZX Spectrum 48K, Memotech MTX 512, BBC Micro Model B, Acorn Electron, CBM 64, Atari 4160 STe. I bought most of this kit over in the UK before I moved here last year and it survived the move packaged up in a container which was then shipped out. I also recently purchased a boxed Tatung Einstein TC01 which is currently at my mothers house wating to be shipped over and that ain't cheap!

I really can't wait for it to turn up. I'm like a kid all over again!

It was 11 years after TI abandoned the machine that I finally got a (used) PEB. Still works great, although I'd like to replace the fan to make it quieter. I probably need a new 32k Expansion, too, unfortunately. But if I replace that I'd like to get one of the 'newer' RAM boards, like a SAMS.

• Like 1

But if I replace that I'd like to get one of the 'newer' RAM boards, like a SAMS.

That's a damn good plan! I 'believe' many of us on here on Atari Age could be considered 'Hard Core TI'ers', with the, "You build it, we'll buy it" approach to things. Not only does the new stuff ensure a happy user base, it'll insure that our systems live longer and it probably moderates the prices on legacy hardware as well. Nothing drives away a potential new, or returning TI'er faster than prices in the stratosphere.

• Like 1

The PEB arrived late yesterday!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But my euphoria didn't last long as when I opened the box and removed the blue plastic it had been wrapped in for the last 30 years, I discovered a scratch about half an inch long on the top near to the front of the unit. I messaged the seller who said that the contents weren't inspected prior to shipping and I could have a refund at my expense of shipping it back or a discount. I realize that it's 30 years old and I would have expected some oxidization on the metalwork, but not a scratch as it's advertised as new, or am I making a fuss?

post-35827-0-36220400-1416712297_thumb.jpg

I am willing to bet it came from the factory or distributor like that all those years ago. I have seen brand-new items come out of the package messed up before, but you never know. Mine had a good bit of rust on the surface of the metal and the lid was warped like many PEBs I have seen before. I would be disappointed but I would not let it ruin my euphoria. But, that is up to you, of course.

I expect it was packaged like that all those years ago and as you say, it could be a lot worse. It's a bit of a lucky dip this NOS stuff I suppose.

Yeah, the TI crowd got lucky indeed. No too many people can say they have a brand new 30+ year old computer. You'll be able to cover that scratch no problem.

winner.jpg

ON THE NEW P-BOX!

the seller is not answering my message since 4 days about shipping 2 other items with the PEB. instead he raised the price for the PEB to 149,99 USD. :(

I noticed that, too (the price, that is.) Seems a lot of his auctions are uncharacteristically obscene in price, lately. Was thinking about emailing him and asking him what the deal is.

I noticed that, too (the price, that is.) Seems a lot of his auctions are uncharacteristically obscene in price, lately. Was thinking about emailing him and asking him what the deal is.

Probably because he sold twice as many PEB's in the last two weeks as he did in the previous 3 months. I've been watching some of his auctions and have noticed this pattern: if an item is bought a number of times in a short period, the price increases by 50% or more.

I should mention I bought something from this seller and he ended up refunded my money. There was a part missing from the "NOS" sealed box that made the product effectively useless. And after opening up another "NOS sealed" box, he found this part to be missing in it also... but continues to sell this item anyway without mentioning this in the auction description!

He's very aware of the "value" of his inventory, and even mentioned this to me several times, like he had won the lottery, but seemed clueless as far as understanding how TI 99 computers and their various accessories operate. It gave me the impression that he hasn't even set one up. Kind of sad...

Edited by eccofonic

Probably because he sold twice as many PEB's in the last two weeks as he did in the previous 3 months. I've been watching some of his auctions and have noticed this pattern: if an item is bought a number of times in a short period, the price increases by 50% or more.

I should mention I bought something from this seller and he ended up refunded my money. There was a part missing from the "NOS" sealed box that made the product effectively useless. And after opening up another "NOS sealed" box, he found this part to be missing in it also... but continues to sell this item anyway without mentioning this in the auction description!

He's very aware of the "value" of his inventory, and even mentioned this to me several times, like he had won the lottery, but seemed clueless as far as understanding how TI 99 computers and their various accessories operate. It gave me the impression that he hasn't even set one up. Kind of sad...

That is a shame and I am sad to hear that he may have become one of the "Dark Side" sellers... I have had great luck and great exchanges (conversational) with the guy.

Are you talking about the sealed PEB or another boxed item? Which part was missing? BR Klaus

It's one of those software packages with a cartridge and disk in it. Disk 1 was missing, so the cartridge wouldn't get beyond the initial screen.

No big deal since you can write your own disks using an old PC. But I'd imagine some eBay folks aren't set up to do that.