IGNORED

Pac Man artwork

Skarro

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I've always been curious about the change in artwork for the Pac Man box-art. I was under the impression that the version with the 3D Pac Man was the first version released, and that they updated the artwork to the flat, 2D version at a later date. Or is it the other way around ? I know that the stores where I used to live got the 3D version first, followed by the 2D version. Seems like a bit of a step backwards.

Also, is this the only game that had its artwork changed after initial release ?

post-34290-0-24771300-1418665990_thumb.jpg

I believe it was 3D then 2D, and the copy I had was 3D (and a T-shirt came packed in the box). But no matter what illustration of Pac-Man was used, even the background illustration which remained the same was close but still somewhat inaccurate. :)

I think some other games changed artwork but I can't say if it was such a radical change. Only example I can think of isn't the illustration, it's how Superman in the catalogs had the logotype name on the end label (I don't know that I ever saw one in person like that) and all the carts I saw had just the word.

I can shed some light on this, as I interviewed the artist for the Art of Atari book we're working on, and for a Pac-Man exhibit we're putting together for the soon-to-be Museum of Video Game Art (http://www.playmova.org). He originally created another piece of art for the 2600 Pac-Man version that management and Namco folks felt was too scary. (This has never been published, but we'll be showing it when the museum's online collection launches.)

So, the next version he created is the full-bodied Pac-Man that you see on the 2600 labels and PAL box. But higher-ups were concerned that consumers wouldn't connect the dots to the familiar screen version of the character, and wanted a more literal, flat version of Pac-Man, so this change was made, and that 2-dimensional rendering (done by the same artist) was dropped right on top of the original art. It was apparently too late to make the change on the manuals and labels. He also created the 400/800 version with the castle maze, which has a lot of similar design elements, like the sneakers and skinny legs.

For what it's worth, this 2600 version of Pac-Man is one of my favorites. I love how much freedom they had back in that time, to re-imagine a licensed character like Pac-Man, to fit Atari's needs. That would never happen today, in this world of licensing guides and strict key art that must be used.

• Like 2

I've owned both the 2D and 3D boxes at various points. Somehow I didn't notice the difference until I saw them side by side in an image gallery. I also never knew they came packaged with a T shirt, and I kinda want one now. :(

I managed to get my Sears Tele Games cart of Pac-Man the weekend before the formal release date. It had the 3D Pac Man. Later I started noticing the 2D Pac Man and always wondered why they changed it.

I don't recall which I liked better as a kid. Now I find the 3D image not only more nostalgic, but just a better and more attention grabbing image.

But higher-ups were concerned that consumers wouldn't connect the dots to the familiar screen version of the character, and wanted a more literal, flat version of Pac-Man, so this change was made, and that 2-dimensional rendering (done by the same artist) was dropped right on top of the original art.

That was my guess. If the game didn't look like Pac Man then the box art sure needed to!

That was my guess. If the game didn't look like Pac Man then the box art sure needed to!

Not sure if that was their motivation, but it definitely hit people over the head with the simplified Pac-Man. But I wish they would have given consumers more credit for know the original was Pac-Man, since it IS plastered all over the box as well. And I just love the creation of that more spherical Pac-Man. The artist really took things to a new level, with a freedom to interpret that companies like Namco would NEVER allow today.