IGNORED

Getting power from the joystick port for Atari TrakBalls

OLD CS1

I have been reading a good bit on how the Atari CX22 and CX80 TrakBalls work in both track-ball and joystick modes. I would like to be able to use track-ball mode for Arkanoid but the problem is that the devices have TTL logic which requires a +5V DC power source.

According to the TI Tech Pages page on the joysticks, the selected joystick's selection pin is tied to -5V and the non-selected joystick's select pin is tied to +5V. Is it possible to use this +5V output to power a few TTL chips in the TrackBall? Also, does the -5V really matter or is it just a sink for the 9901 logic? Lastly, oh crap, where the hell can I get a ground?? (Thierry notes that for his analog adapter he modified the joystick port at the console to use pins 1 and 6 for ground and +5V, respectively.)

The only TrakBall I have was hacked a long time ago to work as an Amiga mouse (which is awesome for graphics programs) and I have not yet sourced a replacement (I have eyes on a CX22 and a CX80.) Once I grab one I will do some testing of my own. In the end, I suspect I will need an adapter to draw the +5V to power the TTL logic. I do not think I will have to invert the signals coming from the unit as I can just invert detection logic in software.

You also have the option of using the WICO trackball for the TI here. My boys found mine this week and immediately asked me to hook it up. . .

How available are those? Does it work as a joystick, and does it have a motion-tracking protocol? If I can get some specs I will be happy to accommodate it in the code.

It actually acts just like a joystick when used--with the exception of the fact that it gives you much finer pixel motion control than a joystick can. There are a lot of them out there--I have a pair of them, and Zach had a whole case of them up on his eBay store a while back. . .

I found his auction eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3510253651871?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=351025365187&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]. Not certain I want to plonk down that kind of money right now, but I will mull it over. I am hoping to count on testers of "regular" TI items like the Wico while I focus on the "exotics," like Atari TrakBall and ST mouse, Amiga mouse, MSX paddle, and serial mouse.

Okay, so my question is still unsettling to me right now. Looking at the schematics, I wonder if it is possible to use one select pin selected for -5V (whereas TI Tech Pages say it really comes to .5VDC at the pin) and one unselected for 5VDC and power something. The select pins are switched by a transistor, with its base fed from the 74LS156.

You also have the option of using the WICO trackball for the TI here. My boys found mine this week and immediately asked me to hook it up. . .

Do you happen to have pics of its guts? Of course, I am particularly interested in the circuit board. It seems to me that for this unit to actually work as a joystick, Wico must have figured out how to power it.

It has an external power supply, which allows it to completely avoid the power problem. In that sense, it would only be a solution to your problem if you built a small power board into the Atari Trackball and connected an external power supply to it. Let me know and I can open one of mine up to look at the innards. . .and make a nice set of pix for you.

It has an external power supply, which allows it to completely avoid the power problem. In that sense, it would only be a solution to your problem if you built a small power board into the Atari Trackball and connected an external power supply to it. Let me know and I can open one of mine up to look at the innards. . .and make a nice set of pix for you.

Well, that is not as exciting as I had hoped. I was hoping it was self-contained. I would not crack it open unless you have some time to spare, thanks anyway.

Could always just run a +5V/GND cable out from the internal TI-99 power supply through a small hole in the case. That's how I power my nanoPEB.

I am hoping to make things as simple and uncomplicated as possible. I wanted to support a real track ball and not just joystick mode, but I will have to see how things go. Since some of the home conversions of Arkanoid came with controllers specifically for the game, it might not be such a big deal to have an adapter or paddle available with the game.

When you have a free second or two, I would appreciate pictures of the inside or schematics. The power supply is 6V AC so I suspect internally there is a 9805 voltage regulator to provide 5V DC for the TTL chips.