IGNORED

My first Atari 2600 game - Pac-Action!

atarifan2600

Here is my first Atari game which is called Pac-Action. It's a simple 2k game. I've only just started working on it so It might become a whole game sometime in the future.

When you run the game, you can use the left difficulty switch to change the level. Press reset to play.

The aim is to eat the dots and dodge the ghost. Watch out though, the speed can increase!

16 dots, 26 dots and 36 dots increase the speed of the ghost some more.

In level 1, Touching a ghost can subtract a point. In level 2, Touching a ghost can subtract 2 points.

A dot is worth one point.

This game shows that simple graphics don't make the game that boring!

Good luck!

Download .bin here:

pac2.bas.bin

• Like 1

Here is my first Atari game which is called Pac-Action. It's a simple 2k game. I've only just started working on it so It might become a whole game sometime in the future.

When you run the game, you can use the left difficulty switch to change the level. Press reset to play.

The aim is to eat the dots and dodge the ghost. Watch out though, the speed can increase!

16 dots, 26 dots and 36 dots increase the speed of the ghost some more.

In level 1, Touching a ghost can subtract a point. In level 2, Touching a ghost can subtract 2 points.

A dot is worth one point.

This game shows that simple graphics don't make the game that boring!

Good luck!

Download .bin here:

Pretty nice. Hey! How did you get high res sprites in a 2k cartridge? I had to use DPC+ to get high resolution.

Here's a Flash game I did for fun. Kind of a similar concept.

There is a similar game (without the ghost, though) called Pac-It for the Dreamcast VMU. The ghost adds an extra challenge, though. With the multisprite kernel, you can have 3 more ghosts, and if they aren't all on the same x axis line, there wouldn't be flickering, just as long as player 0 is Pac-Man. But this would probably drive your code up to 4k, which is fine since it wouldn't need bankswitching. I'm just wondering how much space you have left for the 2k game.

Great for a first game. There's a few minor issues you could fix. You can scroll off the top and bottom of the screen, I'd add a maximum Y value at the top and bottom so that can't happen. Once the game speeds up the ghost tends to jitter at the left side of the screen before resetting. I'd also consider increasing the speed for the player (up/down) once the game starts speeding up. I also like atari2600land's suggestion of using the multisprite kernel and adding a few more ghosts.

Steve