IGNORED

Looking through some old magazines

sku_u

I was looking thorugh some old magazine and I can't believe how many awesome games were planned for the 5200 that never saw the light of day:

Agent X

Sinistar

Crystal Castles

Black Widow

Satan's Hollow

Tapper

Food Fight

Galaga

Not to mention a finished Tempest

just to name a few. It really makes me wonder what would have happened with this system had they marketed it more aggressively instead of continuing to pursue the 2600 line of games. Maybe the great videogame crash of 1984 would have never happened.

I was looking thorugh some old magazine and I can't believe how many awesome games were planned for the 5200 that never saw the light of day:

Agent X

Sinistar

Crystal Castles

Black Widow

Satan's Hollow

Tapper

Food Fight

Galaga

Not to mention a finished Tempest

just to name a few.  It really makes me wonder what would have happened with this system had they marketed it more aggressively instead of continuing to pursue the 2600 line of games.  Maybe the great videogame crash of 1984 would have never happened.

Crystal Castles

Satan's Hollow

Tapper

Food Fight

are all available for the 8-bits. You can at least see what they would have been like. I saw Castels and Kings (or the other way around) aka Warlords last night at Philly and it looks just like the arcade version which was there as well (in fact two of them). Plus they had a converted paddle controller hooked up as well. There is mension of it here:

www.wildgoosegames.com

I don't think Agent X was ever going to be made for the 5200. It was just pretend for the story in Cloak & Dagger. As far as Sinistar goes, somebody found the 2600 version (although unfinished) so you never know. Personally I doubt Black Widow was ever started but we can dream.

Allan

• 4 months later...
NOTE: resurrected thread from March 2003

I dug this up because I had a dream last night that I found a 5200 Tapper at a record store. My best finds are always in my dreams...

Hey Keir,

Every once in while I'll have a dream that's computer/videogame related. About a month ago I had a dream that I had created a new issue of Antic magazine for the Atari 8-bit computers. It was really cool. I even wrote all the programs for it including a game involving dodging logs in a river. I was really bummed when I woke up and realized it was only a dream. :(

Allan

are all available for the 8-bits.

www.wildgoosegames.com  

Allan

I wonder....can't those games for the 8-bit system be converted and or burned to work as a 5200 cart? (And yes, I'm sure this has been covered, but right now Im too lazy to search, and I like the human interaction! :D )

are all available for the 8-bits.

www.wildgoosegames.com  

Allan

I wonder....can't those games for the 8-bit system be converted and or burned to work as a 5200 cart? (And yes, I'm sure this has been covered, but right now Im too lazy to search, and I like the human interaction! :D )

To counter you with another lazy response. Yes and no.

You first have to go through the code (with no source code comments, mind you) and change all the code that is different to the 5200 like joystick code, hardware access routines (which are in different places on the 5200 while still being the same rountines for the most part), etc. Other stuff is if the game uses the keyboard the code has to be changed to use the keypad for example. It's not like starting from scratch but it's not easy either.

Allan

So....we could have Donkey Kong, DK Jr,  and other games playable on the 5200?????    

COME ON GUYS!  Someone must be up to the challenge?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Here here! I've been pleading for this on these boards on and off since I first got here :D I personally would love to see these ported somehow and played on a real 5200 "just because" :)

However as an aside, one way I've found to appease the urge to play those games is to use the 5200/8-bit emulator for the dreamcast. That way you have 99% 5200 games and 8-bit games all in one convenient package. The emulation is pretty spot on, and the ability to jump from a 5200 game like Countermeasure to an 8-bit game like Donkey Kong or Tapper in a couple seconds sort of gives you the warm feeling of "what if" and you can almost imagine that you're playing it on a 5200 on your living room tv (except of course.. the controller is different :P) For me it fills the urge pretty good.

But of course it can't 100% fully substitute for the real thing. I'd give my ballsack to the guy who can port 8-bit Donkey Kong to the 5200 and make a nice looking cart out of it. Copyright issues aside, if this can be done "unofficially" and sort of under the table.. *cough*... :twisted:

However as an aside, one way I've found to appease the urge to play those games is to use the 5200/8-bit emulator for the dreamcast. That way you have 99% 5200 games and 8-bit games all in one convenient package. The emulation is pretty spot on, and the ability to jump from a 5200 game like Countermeasure to an 8-bit game like Donkey Kong or Tapper in a couple seconds sort of gives you the warm feeling of "what if" and you can almost imagine that you're playing it on a 5200 on your living room tv (except of course.. the controller is different :P)  For me it fills the urge pretty good.  

Yeah, but for retards like me, who have a Dreamcast but don't know how to create the disk(s) for the emulation....well, it's not good. I asked a few times here (begged more like) for someone to make a disc for me {that I'd pay for of course} but I guess it is a request along the lines of asking for roms, and, well....I guess that's EVIL :evil:

I'd give my ballsack to the guy who can port 8-bit Donkey Kong to the 5200 and make a nice looking cart out of it.

What incentive. :|

I'll give mine too! :ponder:

I don't think Agent X was ever going to be made for the 5200. It was just pretend for the story in Cloak & Dagger. As far as Sinistar goes, somebody found the 2600 version (although unfinished) so you never know. Personally I doubt Black Widow was ever started but we can dream.

Allan

According to the 5200 FAQ Cloak & Dagger was started for the 8-bit computers with the intention of a 5200 version, but it didn't get very far.

Dab

Allan

According to the 5200 FAQ Cloak & Dagger was started for the 8-bit computers with the intention of a 5200 version, but it didn't get very far.

Dab

Cool. Wasn't there a whole article on this exact topic somewhere? I remember reading it years ago.

Allan

A voice from the past! I thought you had abandoned this place, Dan. I haven't seen you post in quite a while.

Is Keita still in charge of updating the 5200 FAQ? It hasn't been updated in a long time.

I suppose it's time to mention that I have been working on a 5200 port of Donkey Kong.  I'm trying to convert the 8-bit version to the 5200.  It's slow going so don't expect it for awhile.

Care to mention any successes/failures you've had with it?

Allan