• 20 - 29 Years Old
    • 30 - 39 Years Old
    • 40 - 49 Years Old
    • 50 - 59 Years Old
    • 60 - 69 Years Old
    • 70 - 79 Years Old
    • 80 - 89 Years Old
    • 90 - 99 Years Old
  2. 2. At what age did you get your first 8-Bit?

• 1 - 5 Years Old
    • 6 - 9 Years Old
    • 10 - 15 Years Old
    • 16 - 19 Years Old
    • 20 - 24 Years Old
    • 25 - 29 Years Old
    • 30 - 34 Years Old
    • 35 - 39 Years Old
    • 40 - 44 Years Old
    • 45 - 49 Years Old
    • 50 - 54 Years Old
    • 55 - 59 Years Old
    • 60 - 69 Years Old
    • 70 - 79 Years Old
    • 80 - 89 Years Old
    • 90 - 99 Years Old

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I'm actually 5 years younger now.

But, yeah... makes no sense to select your current age at this point. You can, however, select how old you were when you got an Atari.

I suppose it might make some sense to start a new poll like this every 10 years; the demographics may not just be shifted up for "current age", since we could be dealing with enough of a modified group of people by 10 years. The group could also have grown significantly (by growing popularity of retro computing and more people having had time to return to the old platform), or it may have shrunk for various reasons.

At 70, I know which reason is coming for me.

2 hours ago, MrFish said:

I'm actually 5 years younger now.

But, yeah... makes no sense to select your current age at this point. You can, however, select how old you were when you got an Atari.

I suppose it might make some sense to start a new poll like this every 10 years; the demographics may not just be shifted up for "current age", since we could be dealing with enough of a modified group of people by 10 years. The group could also have grown significantly (by growing popularity of retro computing and more people having had time to return to the old platform), or it may have shrunk for various reasons.

Well, specifically what I was pondering is how many of the 40-49 crowd were closer to the 40 side and are still in the 40-49 vs. how many were closer to the 49 side and are now in the 50-59 bracket.

20 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Yeah... Alas... "Got promoted" this year.

Oh, c'mon. Being 50 is great! A lot of us finally have the time and income to have a total A8 geekout, which was impossible for me in the '80s. I still remember reading those final few issues of Antic, drooling over DataQue's 65C816 build and Diamond GOS, and here we are 33 years later...still without a 65C816 build. :P

But with VBXE, SD drives, and FujiNet. :)

33 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Well, specifically what I was pondering is how many of the 40-49 crowd were closer to the 40 side and are still in the 40-49 vs. how many were closer to the 49 side and are now in the 50-59 bracket.

Sure. I suppose a new poll could be done with 5 year brackets instead. I'm pretty sure there's a limit on how many items can be presented in a given poll section; but I think it's something like 20 - 25 per (unless that's changed in recent years). So, should be doable.

1 hour ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Oh, c'mon. Being 50 is great! A lot of us finally have the time and income to have a total A8 geekout, which was impossible for me in the '80s. I still remember reading those final few issues of Antic, drooling over DataQue's 65C816 build and Diamond GOS, and here we are 33 years later...still without a 65C816 build. :P

But with VBXE, SD drives, and FujiNet. :)

But that's the real kicker.  When I was younger, I had the time... not the money.  Now at 50, I have the money... but not the time.

I'm hoping to live long enough to have both... but given family history, I'm doubting that's in the cards for me.

• Like 2

Just now, MrFish said:

Change your family's history by taking control of your health while you're still young enough.

Actually both my parents were fairly healthy.  Neither one had any major health issues and had pretty decent diets.. no drinking outside of the glass of wine or two at holiday dinners.. no smoking... pretty healthy right up to the point they were diagnosed with cancer (different kinds) and died at age 66.  My grandmother, with all her bad health issues... lived to be in her 90's.

When it's your time, it's your time.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Actually both my parents were fairly healthy.  Neither one had any major health issues and had pretty decent diets.. no drinking outside of the glass of wine or two at holiday dinners.. no smoking... pretty healthy right up to the point they were diagnosed with cancer (different kinds) and died at age 66.  My grandmother, with all her bad health issues... lived to be in her 90's.

There's a lot of junk in the U.S. food supply. A casual inventory might make someone's diet seem to be fine; closer inspection can identify a host of problems, many of them the root source of cancer and other serious illnesses. Some people might be genetically more susceptible; but if you eliminate enough of the problem foods, you'll have a better chance of survival.

30 minutes ago, Tillek said:

When it's your time, it's your time.

I generally agree with this; however, how you live out your last years can very well be dependent on your health choices leading up to those last years. For instance, some people live out their last years bedridden, or needing some type of assistance to get around; whereas others are independent up till their last months. I want to increase my chances of having the best possible quality of life in my last years.

• Like 2

I am 40+ but get my Atari800XE as kid for Xmas as 5years old. Was expensive in Central/Eastern Europe in that time like scooter or 7x salary. But it opened way to music production also autocad (logo is similar to cad promt or lisp). Also lot of fun with friends. Hope 2025s will be 80s 90s retro future/cyberpunk again! Computers in keyboard. Blade Runner like movies. Rave on parties, Vangelis like on music concerts... 

Edited by Matej
  • Like 3