IGNORED

Dragons & Dungeons engine

Retro Lord

I thought that this demo might be able too help others wanting to do a small dungeon exploration demo. So I figured we would learn together!

I'm basing this on the Hunt the Wumpus mechanics. You try too find the dragon lurking somewhere in the dark while avoiding bottomless pits and other things.

I'm hoping this turns out to be helpful for you! But I reserve this particular game so if you are basing your game on it please change it enough too look different. I will do updates as I figure out some clever solutions so in the end we'll end up with a "hunt the wumpus" engine that anyone can use!

--------------------------------

Controls

Press the button on the titlescreen to go too the class selection screen.

Left, up and down shows you the classes at the titlescreen so you can see which guy you want to be.

left, up or down and pressing the button selects the class and starts the game.

Left, right, up and down moves your hero in the dungeon.

When you fall down the pit press down to restart the game.

So far I have:

Titlescreen

Class selection, choose between a Barbarian, Thief or Mage. I'm going to add another class later.

The dungeon. Thanks too RandomTerrain for teaching me how to use pfpixel on/off. Tiles you've been on are lit, the ones you haven't been to are unlit.

Hero movement

WIP

Some kind of clue when you are next too the dragon or the pits.

Attacking the dragon. (You'll have 2 tries to kill it.

Working timer

DOWNLOAD - DnD0.3.bas

Edited by Retro Lord

I've hit a snag since I can't configure the latest VBB. I'm trying too find an alternative way too discover the dragon, but in the meantime it works if you are next to the dragon either left or right of him the playfield will turn green, just not if he's above or below you. Everything else works as it should. Just that final detail that stops me.

Enjoy the latest version, and I hope it helps someone out there!

Download - d_and_d_0.4.2.bas

Edited by Retro Lord

Thanks to Random Terrain everything is working perfectly now. I'm currently filling the game with new features.

I've successfully added text messages that says different things if you win or if you die. You can be eaten alive by the dragon, you can starve to death and you can fall into pits and die.

I'm trying out some new ways too lay down traps. I'm thinking of having a random chance that unexplored areas are traps, but you get points for exploring so it's a small risk. We'll see what fun things the next version will have.