IGNORED

Season 4 - The New HSC - Week 2 = Jr. Pac-Man

S.BAZ

post-40055-0-33678400-1422512666_thumb.png

This one's no joke. I like the speed, because it reminds me of the maxed-out Ms. Pac-Man at my nearest boardwalk. But I have to unlearn a few habits -- saving up power pellets doesn't help much for points if there's no guarantee you'll clear the first screen. Additionally, scrolling around is a surprisingly difficult adjustment because the ghosties hide out just off the edge of the screen.

• Like 1

Hey, I played Q*Bert, but am not listed in the standings...yeah, well I came in dead last, but still...

Overall Standings Through Round 1 (Q*Bert)

Top 24 make the Bracket Challenge at the end of the season!

The bracket winners get to choose games for next season :thumbsup:

1. Northcoastgamer 34

2. voodoo_chilly 32

3. S.BAZ 31

4. GornThrifting 29

5. KaeruYojimbo 27

6. oyamafamily 26

Dauber 26

DT Kofoed 26

9. Scrabbler15 25

10. JacobZu7zu7 24

11. StanJr 22

12. darthkur 21

13. karokoenig 20

14. SpiceWare 19

15. LidLikesIntellivision 18

Nathan Strum 18

17. adri_O 16

18. Brian C 15

19. NIKON 14

20. Gorfy 13

21. Fallout_002 11

22. Zeptari1 10

23. Mister-VCS 9

24. SpaceyInvader 8

Tony The 2600 8

26. ReflectionAngle 7

27. roadrunner 6

centiqueen81 6

29. LarcenTyler 2

Dan Iacovelli 2

• Like 1

post-40055-0-30059900-1422634648_thumb.jpg

It's a bit of a mind warp to be able to run through level after level on Ms. Pac-Man and then struggle to make it past the first screen on Jr. Pac-Man. Here's my first score making it past level one.

Score: 14,950

You said it. If I get going with a good game of Ms. Pac-Man they have to pull the plug at the arcade to get me out. And yet, topping 26k here has me so proud I can barely speak. Of course, playing this one finally on my real 2600 helped, but my real secret weapon, and secret to nominal improvement, is ...

post-40055-0-87078800-1422634782_thumb.jpg

... The majestic Stick Stand. Seems silly, but I actually love it. I'll love it more if I can break 30k.

• Like 2

Offering a few tips:

- The first prize of each maze comes out when you eat seventy dots. Not sure about the rest of the prizes, tbh.

- If you're desperate to eat the prize before it crosses over an energizer and destroys it, remember: it only destroys the FOUR OUTERMOST energizers; inner energizers are safe.

- Once the ghosts start flashing blue and white, count eight flashes, then stop chasing them. (that is, blue (1) -white (2) - blue (3) - white (4) - blue (5) - white (6) - blue (7) - white ( 8 )). I'm guessing that the most common way to lose a life is to chase the ghosts for too long. (Later levels it's only four flashes, but good luck getting to THOSE levels on a 4-ghost game!)

- If a ghost is on your tail, turn a corner if you can.

- I found out accidentally during this HSC that just like in the arcade version (as well as the arcade versions of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man), there are instances in which if you're about to have a head-on collision with a ghost, you can suddenly pass right through safely. I don't know if this is because the developer(s) of the Atari 2600 Jr. Pac-Man put that much attention in to the arcade-to-console conversion, or if it's a bug from, say, flickering or something.

Edited by Dauber
  • Like 5

Yay! keilbaca is back! :)

Has anyone noticed that the ghost patterns (and maybe behavior) are different on the emu? None of my patterns work when I move from the console to emu.

I got close to beating my score last night, but no dice.

A few observations.

I'm the guy who wants to clear that first board without dying. I have a need for that, but I am finding that losing your first life is a lot like losing your virginity. You want to keep it as long as you can because you think you are supposed to, when in actually you are better off just going ahead and losing it. Chances are good when you lose it it won't be special or magical, it will be disappointing, so just don't be afraid to let it go. And it will likely open you up to a whole better world.

I have never played a pac-man game that required more wait-and-chase and looking-off. It pays to stop moving from time to time and let the ghosts clump up in their pursuit. Likewise there is also a good chance than a ghost will take a last minute turn before a head-on collision, so sometimes it pays to remain patient and see where they go before ducking down a different path. Faking out the ghosts also seems to work really well.

Switching sides horizontally seems to pay off pretty well, better than constantly moving vertically. I get caught far more often on long vertical stretches.

I find the first maze to be the hardest. The third maze seems much easier with far shorter stretches and more escape options.

Brutal, brutal game. I have a renewed hatred for this game that is reserved primarily for Dr. Doom and Reed Richards

post-409-0-36933800-1422645263_thumb.jpg

• Like 3