IGNORED

The patched for the Blitter!

:)

It's possible that blitter may speed-up some graphic operations, and even some memory transfers. But it is not so big speed-up, Better said, not so big in compare to well coded blitter-less SW. Many other things can be improved in existing games.

Just try for instance Wings of Death - it responds very fast on commands, regardless using blitter or not.

Related with question: why no blitter in TT ? Simply because it's CPU can do all it faster.

I don't think that anyone will start to "patch" games in this way.

Yes, Zamuel_a did Pacmania and Giana, but that was much more than some "patching" .

Patch is just not right word for game improving, I think . As I know it is tailor term, and means fixing holes on clothes :grin: Correct me English experts .

:)

It's possible that blitter may speed-up some graphic operations, and even some memory transfers. But it is not so big speed-up, Better said, not so big in compare to well coded blitter-less SW. Many other things can be improved in existing games.

Just try for instance Wings of Death - it responds very fast on commands, regardless using blitter or not.

Related with question: why no blitter in TT ? Simply because it's CPU can do all it faster.

I don't think that anyone will start to "patch" games in this way.

Yes, Zamuel_a did Pacmania and Giana, but that was much more than some "patching" .

Patch is just not right word for game improving, I think . As I know it is tailor term, and means fixing holes on clothes :grin: Correct me English experts .

I see, it's like the 3DFX Video Cards back in the day, games need be fixed to run with it. Even a small speed-up would help in some games with bad lag running on un-modded Ste. The TT just use brute force just like modern PC's running older software. Just think accelerator boards, are hard to come by and than you need to have the right motherboard to use them if you can get your hands one, fixing games with bad lag to use the blitter would be welcome in this day and age of STe user's, I think. ;)

Edited by walter_J64bit

You are right on. A "patch" is used in clothing to fix a "hole" in something. The connotation that a thing is flawed in some way carries over. A better term for the situation where something is added to create improved performance is "augmentation". You'd say the game was "augmented" to use the blitter.

Edited by pixelmischief

The effort vs reward is probably not worth it in most cases.

And games generally are written with system limitations in mind, so a certain amount of objects will be processed, and memory allocation for stuff like positions will follow that constraint.

Possibly there are some games that would benefit and without enormous effort. But I think the scene is more oriented along the lines of just getting games compatible across the range.

Of equal benefit might be to have some games esp scrollers modified to take advantage of fine scroll and the word aligned graphics origin that STE allows, but I don't think much of that has happened either.