IGNORED

BB on Mac OS X

apemaster

I'm thinking about porting some of my games to 2600, but I'm very confused about all the information around.

So the question is:

Is there an easy way to install BB on Mac OS X (newest), without having to go into terminal? Like installing a normal software?

Also, is there anything like the Visual Editor for Mac?

Thanks!

No "easy install". batari Basic _IS_ a terminal program called with a compiling script.

Use the link in my signature to get the latest bug fixed version by RevEng. It also has Mac, Win & Linux already built.

Yes there are programmer's editors like Visual bB.

I use the latest beta version of JEdit, a Java programmer's editor.

SpiceWare has blogs on setup.

batari Basic, or bB, _IS_ a command-line program, so the best you can do is set up an editor, with terminal commands to call the script that parses your basic text code into assembly language and then compiles that into a binary. To launch Stella from JEdit to run your binary you also need to point the editor to: [example from memory]: /Applications/Stella.app/Contents/stella -video OpenGL /$n.bin <<< stuff like that.

Once it is set up correctly, it "just works".

And no, there isn't an "easy install" but I was determined to move away from Win 7 because it ends up being easier to work with large source code on the Mac side.

I still use VMware and use Visual bB on Win 7 because of the playfield / sprite / music / titlescreen tools. You can do all that stuff without Win programs, but I find those things easier using Visual bB (which sets up easier without all that command line...).

• Like 1

I just did a game jam game with it, all on Mac

I used a standalone text editor (komodo edit) and the only thing I missed was syntax highighting for keywords and especially comments.

Don't be too afraid of Terminal. I've been using it for so many decades I probably am underestimating how weird it seems, but it's pretty straight forward

one I followed the Mac instructions (including make) my loop was:

(in terminal) 2600basic.sh program.bas
then switch over to stella, hit escape to go back to the game select, and double click. Easier than worrying about integration... and that's all I had to do!

• Like 1

You could invest $60-80 and get a harmony cart and see it on the real hardware.

NTSC/PAL... hmm. I don't know if there's a clever way to detect... you could either put out two versions of the cart, or if you're feeling really fancy, support both with the Color/B+W switch select??

Dunnno about pricing. One offs here are $25 or so it seems. My experience of 10 years ago is that if you set up w/ Atari Age (and dunno what the bar is for acceptance, but they really expect quality stuff, not just bB "I changed the graphics of the demo") they'll put in their catalog and give you X% of the

I don't mean to be a wet blanket to your thoughts, but I think in general it's better to think of it as a small hobby project rather than sweat the commercial ambitions.