IGNORED

new ports st for jaguar

Daniele

Hi CyranoJ,

Really? I'll have to look into that then, cuz I'm sure that's not what I've been doing :P

I wouldn't call this emulation either, emulation implies that you just pass any old binary from the emulated machine and it'll run. That most certainly isn't what's happening here.

I think, you havbe missunderstand what i want to say. I talk about 3 different things:

1. have no souce code and rewrite from scratch. I did not call this emulator!

2. have the source code and port it which means to rewrite parts

3. run the the existing binary with an emulator.

And mainly i asked the people who asks for ports, if they first could find a source for sourcecode. Ok, sourcode for modern PC is to differnet. This is also a big work to port a modern game to the jaguar.

Best regards

Michael

Hi CyranoJ,

I think, you havbe missunderstand what i want to say. I talk about 3 different things:

1. have no souce code and rewrite from scratch. I did not call this emulator!

2. have the source code and port it which means to rewrite parts

3. run the the existing binary with an emulator.

And mainly i asked the people who asks for ports, if they first could find a source for sourcecode. Ok, sourcode for modern PC is to differnet. This is also a big work to port a modern game to the jaguar.

Best regards

Michael

Hello Michael, CJ doesn't do any of those things with his ST "ports", he does:

4. take ST game and tickle it until the Jaguar finds it agreeable - the process is briefly outlined on our site.

I think (not at all sure, lol) this thread was designed to give CJ some suggestions for getting ST games working on the Jaguar this way. Of course, the problem there is, everyone has their own favourite ST games but many are not suitable and CJ probably already knows more about ST games than anyone still active on Atari given what he's been up to for the last 25 years or so... so there's little point in listing games this way, best people just wait and see what appears. Although it does help show what a wealth of decent titles the "lowly" ST has.

• Like 5

As A NO coder I have to ask though: Can STE specific titles be tickled into working on the Jag. I already understand that ST titles that use tricks like opening borders, sync scroll etc need a whole different kind of torture to make it work. What about STE scrolling and Blitter code? Are they ticklish or easely replaced by jag specific code (Like they moved the sprite stuff to the OP of certain titles) ? Just asking as the "requests" in this thread seem to be focussed on STE titles and haven't read yet that STE titles are out of question.

Edited by Ayreon

Hi,

Hello Michael, CJ doesn't do any of those things with his ST "ports", he does:

4. take ST game and tickle it until the Jaguar finds it agreeable - the process is briefly outlined on our site.

Thank you for the link to the description. This gives a good overview how CJ converts the games. So CJ does a mix of patching the game and add some emulation parts. It looks like this is also a hard way to get the games run.

I play a little bit with EmuTOS. If i add the GPU code which converts from ST screen to Jaguar "screen" maybe there is a chance of run some games on the jaguar under EmuTOS.

I think (not at all sure, lol) this thread was designed to give CJ some suggestions for getting ST games working on the Jaguar this way. Of course, the problem there is, everyone has their own favourite ST games but many are not suitable and CJ probably already knows more about ST games than anyone still active on Atari given what he's been up to for the last 25 years or so... so there's little point in listing games this way, best people just wait and see what appears. Although it does help show what a wealth of decent titles the "lowly" ST has.

Maybe. But if i read "port a game", i usually think in source code which makes it more easy to make a port. And i think, there are not much people who can or want to convert a ST game to Jaguar like CJ does.

Best regards

Michael

I play a little bit with EmuTOS. If i add the GPU code which converts from ST screen to Jaguar "screen" maybe there is a chance of run some games on the jaguar under EmuTOS.

SCPCD is the guy to speak to as he created the highly optimised screen conversion routines. He's very friendly and knowledgeable, he'll help you out if possible.

Edited by sh3-rg

Is that necessarily a bad thing? We have people interested in the mechanics of what went into the game to maybe one day pick up programming in some cases. We've actually wanted more thinkers and developers than just gamers in times past.

But, this is a different age. If I make a game/demo/utility, I'll do it so that others can play/watch/use it. In the jaguar community a lot of development happens only for collecting purposes, i.e. a game with broken mechanics or incomplete being put in a box so it can sit on a self. I think that's a bad thing. In the retro platforms many users prefer (and I also plead guilty to that sometimes) to watch the youtube videos of the games to playing them.

• Like 1

As A NO coder I have to ask though: Can STE specific titles be tickled into working on the Jag. I already understand that ST titles that use tricks like opening borders, sync scroll etc need a whole different kind of torture to make it work. What about STE scrolling and Blitter code? Are they ticklish or easely replaced by jag specific code (Like they moved the sprite stuff to the OP of certain titles) ? Just asking as the "requests" in this thread seem to be focussed on STE titles and haven't read yet that STE titles are out of question.

Probably, yes, but not easily. But no point requesting stuff, it doesn't work like that :)

• Like 1

I'm not requesting anything. Just trying to get more info on what's possible with this "technique" of running software from other machines on the Jag . Even though I can't justify spending any time or funds on the Jag at the moment I enjoy reading about these new releases and that people enjoy them.

It's easier to do it with ST games because you "only" need to convert the screen from planar to chunky format, everything it's done with the CPU.

...and the ACIA, and the MFP (All the timers), and the YM, and TOS, and XBIOS, and BIOS, and GEMDOS, and the running from low RAM, and... and... and.....

• Like 3

...and the ACIA, and the MFP (All the timers), and the YM, and TOS, and XBIOS, and BIOS, and GEMDOS, and the running from low RAM, and... and... and.....

Well... I said "only", not only... I find it more complex with games that load data from disk (like gauntlet), instead of single load games.

With Frontier I only needed to put all traps pointing to a rte, write a small code to build the OP list and the game was running (with weird display).