IGNORED

Bit3 Full View 80 (Under The Hood)

AtariGeezer

I have added Bit3 Emulation to Atari800.

That's great news! Which version, 3.1.0?

Can you provide a link to the documentation for the feature?

Does it fully support everything in the manual, including changing the contents of the font EPROM?

Can it open a secondary virtual 80 column screen? (You can have a 40 column and an 80 Column running simultaneously, with the hardware, as an configuration option, with two physical screens, where the 80 column card displays different information than the 40 column screen.).

Thanks!

Edited by UNIXcoffee928

It's in CVS.

Only one screen can be shown at once. It does support software switching and manual switching (you can use alt-shift-x to switch.) The font rom is loaded from software so it could be modified. What is described in the manual seems to work. I do not have much to test it with. The bit3.com dos xl program worked.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

That's a nice 8021 based design, for sure. It is definitely a simpler design to manage on a card that size, than, say, a 6845 based design.

Why both the 8021 and the 6545... the 6545 should be able to work on its own without the 8021, its just an attributes chip, so is it just producing the blinking cursor and maybe inversed video? Just curious.

Interesting. I now own board with serial 312437.

Wonder if they started with 310000, otherwise one would expect to find some of the other 312436 in practically any old 800. ;)

It's not a prime either, briefly thought they might have used primes as serials to arrive at such high numbers.

• Like 1

Wonder if they started with 310000, otherwise one would expect to find some of the other 312436 in practically any old 800. ;)

It's not a prime either, briefly thought they might have used primes as serials to arrive at such high numbers.

I would definitely agree. I could believe their were perhaps 2500 of these made, certainly not 31,000 on top of that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
20 minutes ago, tep392 said:

LOL! When I was troubleshooting it, I dumped the ROM's and compared them to the dumps you posted. 

Yep, I saw that :)

It was working fine when I posted those and 2 years ago when I tried the Incognito with it.  Since it didn't work with that, I tried it in a stock 800 and it worked then too..

Must have been the different CPU as to why it didn't work for you on the first try...

But good to see it's working for you now :)

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 7:41 PM, AtariGeezer said:

Yep, I saw that :)

It was working fine when I posted those and 2 years ago when I tried the Incognito with it.  Since it didn't work with that, I tried it in a stock 800 and it worked then too..

Must have been the different CPU as to why it didn't work for you on the first try...

But good to see it's working for you now :)

Regarding the CPU, my memory of which machine has the 65C02 is faulty.  The backup machine that it works in has the 65C02.  So I spent some time swapping parts from the working machine to the non-working (6502B machine) to figure out which components might be causing the issue.  What I found is that the only part that "fixes" the non-working machine is the 65C02 processor. I'm now suspecting it is a timing or levels issue.  I'm not going to investigate any further though because I have too many other hardware projects to work on.  I'm happy to have it working in one machine and just ordered a copy of LJK Letter Perfect from Ebay with manual. :)  I'm also looking for a copy of Edit 6502. Hope it's not too rare.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tep392 said:

I'm happy to have it working in one machine and just ordered a copy of LJK Letter Perfect from Ebay with manual and box. :)  I'm also looking for a copy of Edit 6502. Hope it's not too rare.

That's cool,  My LJK 80 column cart is on ebay too :)  Not sure if it came out on disk or not.  I sold my Edit 6502 cart,  but a ROM dump should be in the Hooked On 8-Bit Carts thread, AtariMania has it there too...

17 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

That's cool,  My LJK 80 column cart is on ebay too :)  Not sure if it came out on disk or not.  I sold my Edit 6502 cart,  but a ROM dump should be in the Hooked On 8-Bit Carts thread, AtariMania has it there too...

I saw the cart but it's a bit out of my price range.  The Rev 3 version on disk has the 40 column version on front side and 80 column on the back.  Assuming they work, I'll dump them with my 1050 SA and post the ATX's.

edit: Wow! Nice price on that Edit 6502 sale!

• Like 1

This is strange. I have not been able to get the BIt3 working on one of my 800's.  But when I boot up the Letter Perfect disk that just arrived in the mail, the 80 column screen comes up and works perfectly.  The way I was testing the card was to do A=USR(54818) from basic, or use the little assembly routine from the manual when I'm running the Assembler/Editor cart.  Neither will work on this one 800. It locks up.  Very strange.

FYI, My copy of Letter Perfect is version 3.3 and has the 40 column version on the front side of the disk and the 80 column version on the back side. The 40 column side gives me a boot error, but I was able to make a good copy of the 80 column side and the Printer disk.

IMG_3693.thumb.JPEG.8c2821be05f4168480a1fa716aabc904.JPEG

• Like 2