IGNORED

Bah, new Commando cart won't work

DamienC

Naturally, I get home from PC4 and all of my new 7800 carts work... except for Commando. AAAAAAGGGGHHH

Anyway, I put the cart in, the Atari logo comes up, then the screen blanks and sometimes scrolls really fast. I cleaned the cart twice, no change. I'm thinking it's a PAL cart, but the box and manual don't really look like they're from overseas (no other languages) and the cart doesn't have a black "P" sticker like most PAL carts. I'm so pissed right now, that cart was my primary objective both at PC4 and in terms of 7800 collecting.

Can anyone help me out?

Can;t be a pal cart...PAL 7800 carts will never get past the Atari Fuji logo screen. Since yours does get past that part..that indicates that at least the encryption key on the cart works. As for the scrolling bit....join the club. I have a Scrapyard dog that does nearly the same thing. All I can recommend...is to make sure that the cart is making good contact will all the pins in the 7800 cart connector.

I used to have a Tomcat cart way way way back when it was still new. I played it all the time for about a month...and then one day...the cart didn't work anymore. I cleaned...etc...but nothing. So I tossed it out.

Years later...when I salvaged my 7800 from storage...I realized that my 7800 cart connector wasn't making good contact with most of my activision carts anymore either. I reformed the cart connectors pins back out..and Boom...everything works again. I might have tossed out a good Tomcat way back in the day because of this.

Something to check out...but then, you could have a dead cart... :(

I had a game with a similar problem, cleaning didn't help either. I finally opened it up and found a cracked solder joint. I touched up the joint and it played great.

Do you remember who you got it from? Maybe you can contact them.

Mitch

Well I got it from some guy at PC4... it was the table you see right when you walk in. Don't know how/if I could contact the guy...

I'm a bit reluctant to open up the cart... that would mean destroying the label to get at the cart screw, and the labels are in pristine condition. :(

I'll try straightening out the pins on my 7800 deck, but considering the fact that all my other carts work I'm not sure that will help.

Anyway thanks for all the info so far... off to try to get it working again.

Well, I've tried everything.

Figured I had nothing to lose by opening up the cart, so I peeled back the label as carefully as I could (I still tore a small piece off) and unscrewed it. The board inside looks ok, no bad solder joints.

This must be a dead cart. ALL of my other games work fine. I guess I should be content with the fact that I still have the manual and box, and should I find another NTSC Commando loose in the wild I'll be able to complete it.

Still, it's kind of a downer. :(

Well, I've tried everything.

Figured I had nothing to lose by opening up the cart, so I peeled back the label as carefully as I could (I still tore a small piece off) and unscrewed it. The board inside looks ok, no bad solder joints.

This must be a dead cart. ALL of my other games work fine. I guess I should be content with the fact that I still have the manual and box, and should I find another NTSC Commando loose in the wild I'll be able to complete it.

Still, it's kind of a downer.  :(

I've found that if I heat up the label first with a blow dryer, it peels off much nicer. Too bad that it doesn't work though.

Mitch

You have my sympathies be a pal man it is easer to get some carts and nxt to impossible to get others. :sad: I have been guzumped for Commando three times but have just got a second chance offer. Who would have thought that 25 years down the line from my first atari console I would still be playing them...... :)

• 3 weeks later...