IGNORED

WAH! Turbo CD won't work

7800fan

After owning it for around 25 years, it finally stopped working. The CD mechanism just won't spin. I'm going under the assumption the lube went bad as there's quite a few web sites on this.

Looking on eBay, non working drive can reach $100 and working drive costs almost as much as a working Duo. Why is it that? Duo does not need the system card to boot CD and later Duo handles CD-R while virtually all of Turbo CD and PCE CD are really bad with CD-R (due to them being out before CD-R technology)

PS in case lube job fails, is there someone that can fix the drive? Assuming it's not the dreaded cracked gear, I think it needs recap but it's small and complicated for me.

I didn't see any obvious sign of wet or leaking cap or discolored or bulging top. However that is just the CD drive. The base unit is a bitch to take a apart, I found a guide on pcenginefx forum, there's lots of solder brade to desolder, lots of cables to disconnect, lots of screws, etc. I think I'll just pay and let someone recap the base.

Got white lithium grease, cleaned the old parts, applied the grease, put it back together, spend the next 30 minutes cursing whoever thought of using a tiny locking washer to hold the middle gear in (about the size of pin head).

Tested it with a CD game, it worked fine. Still I'll sooner pay someone than to take my CD apart again, it was a major pain in the butt to get all of the 100 or so tiny pieces in the right place without losing one piece or ending up with a leftover.