IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

Alan Ackerman, MPP

Alan Ackerman co-founded Microbits Peripheral Products (MPP) with John Wiley. MPP made modems and printer interfaces for the Atari 8-bit computers. MPP also published software: Microfiler and Assault Force 3-D. The company would re-structure to become Supra, a giant in modems which became the largest hardware manufacturer for Commodore Amiga computers.
This interview took place on October 2, 2015.
Teaser quote:
“The volumes got to be insane. ... You know, at that point if we had a product we were selling 5,000 units a month, we thought that was pretty damn good.”

They were a huge Atari ST hardware accessory manufacturer as well!

Kevin Hayes, Atari Games Ireland

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/kevin-hayes-atari-games-ireland

On this interview episode, we take a trip to Ireland, and to the coin-op side of Atari. Kevin Hayes was Controller for Atari Irerland Ltd. in 1978, then became manufacturing director. Later he moved to California where he was VP of Manufacturing for Atari Games, then vice president of Operations.

This interview was recorded December 7, 2015.

Teaser quote:

"They had goats grazing on our property, and ... he killed one of their goats, he slaughtered it. ... the owner of the goat came on the property and wanted to be compensated for it."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tony Nicholson and John Babinchak II, Hi-Res Magazine

In this episode, two interviews for the price of one: two people who helped create Hi-Res Magazine — the Atari magazine that only published four issues. First, we’ll hear from Tony Nicholson, the publisher of Hi-Res magazine. The interview with Tony took place September 24, 2015. Then John Babinchak, the editor, which tool place on September 29.
Hi-Res was a short-lived magazine dedicated to Atari 8-bit and Commodore 64 computers. It was published from late 1983 to early 1984. Although they didn’t publish months on the cover, I believe the first issue would have have a cover date of November 1983. Subsequent issues would have been January 1984, March 1984, and the final issue was May 1984. Hi-Res came to the Atari magazine party late in the game, fighting against magazines with established advertiser and subscriber bases. A.N.A.L.O.G. magazine started in January 1981, and ANTIC magazine’s first issue was April 1982. Creative Computing was starting its tenth year around that time.

Have you considered interviewing William G M Leslie and/orThomas R. Carbone pf Omnitrend Software, which did UNIVERSE for the Atari 800?

I'm looking for contact information for both of these gentlemen right now.

If anyone has any contact information, it would be much appreciated.

Randy

I'm looking for contact information for both of these gentlemen right now.

If anyone has any contact information, it would be much appreciated.

Randy

I could plug you into both of them. They're old friends of mine.

I dunno what I could offer in an interview about the Atari 8-bits as what I did with them with mostly animations with MovieMaker. I have a lot of thoughts on the implementation of various games for them from the perspective of someone who worked in the game biz later, but I dunno how germane that would be.

Edited by Big_Mo
  • Like 1

Larry Reed, Childware

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-109-larry-reed-childware

Larry Reed was a programmer for Childware, where he worked on two educational games for the Atari 8-bit computers: Word Flyer and D-Bug, both of which were published by Electronic Arts.

This interview took place December 6, 2015.

Teaser quotes:

"I'll tell you, working with FORTH on the Atari was great until we exceeded the memory capability of the Atari, and then it was a royal pain in the ass."

"'Anybody who thinks there is a distinction between education and entertainment doesn't know the first thing about either.'"

Peter J. Meyer - Tempest Xtreem, Venture, Delta Space Arena

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-110-peter-meyer-tempest-venture-delta-space-arena

The intro music to this episode is the tune Minds Eye from the Atari XL/XE version of Tempest Xtreem; composed by Sal KJMANN Esquivel. Our guest for this interview is the author of Tempest Xtreem, as well as Delta Space Arena and Venture for the Atari 8-bits, Mr. Peter J. Meyer. Peter has done a great job of developing game software for the Atari in the modern era and continues to develop additional software. His software is available at Video 61 and Atari Sales, run by Lance Ringquist. Please enjoy the interview and let Peter know you appreciate the work he continues to do for the Atari 8-bits.

Teaser Quote:

"I was on my Atari and my friends brought over this Nintendo system and they said Oh, your Atari will never be able to do anything like this!"

Edited by rkindig
  • Like 1

Not specifically Atari-related, but I'd love to hear an interview with Rodnay Zaks of Sybex Publishing who wrote all those great programming books including Programming the 6502.

I am in contact with Rodnay and hope I'll be able to interview him soonish.

—Kevin

• Like 1

Hmm.. this is getting more difficult all the time!

Dave Small used to do 8-bit stuff before he became famous for emulating the Mac on the ST.

I already interviewed Dave.

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-11-the-atari-8-bit-podcast-david-small

Edited by Savetz

Sheldon Leemon was a big Atari fan who wrote articles and published several Atari programs before becoming better known for his C64 work.

Jeffrey Stanton wrote Atari games and books.

Also, Dennis Debro is here on AA and had some stuff published in Antic.