IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

Clinton Parker, Author of the Action! Programming Language

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-111-clinton-parker-action

Welcome to this special interview edition of Antic, the Atari 8-bit computer podcast. All of our interviews are special in some way and we appreciate the time that the interviewees donate to the Atari 8-bit community at large. This interview is a much-anticipated one due to the beloved nature of the software provided by the interviewee and due to the fact that the he has been away from the Atari 8-bit community for some time. The software I’m talking about is the Action! programming language and the author is Clinton Parker. Action! was released in 1983 by Optimized Systems Software (better known as OSS). It quickly became one of the favorite programming languages ever produced for the Atari 8-bits and was used in the development of some commercial products. The 6502 source code for Action! was made available under the GNU General Public License by the author in 2015.

This interview took place on September 6, 2015 via Skype.

Teaser Quotes

“It was an opportunity for me having a platform, which is what the Atari was to me. It provided a platform where I could sit down and literally design a language that I liked and that had the features I liked.”

“It was selling well enough that I was able to for several years to pretty much make a living off the royalties of the sales of it.”

Edited by rkindig
  • Like 2

Paul Lewandowski, APX Puzzler

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-112-paul-lewandowski-apx-puzzler

Paul Lewandowski was in high school when he wrote Puzzler, which was published by Atari Program Exchange and won the Atari Star Award in fall 1983: first prize in the learning category.
Puzzler is a game that shows you a picture on the screen, chops it into equally sized squares, and scrambles them. Then, the player uses the joystick to try to put the picture back together - like one of those plastic puzzles where you slide numbers around to put them in order. Puzzler had three difficulty levels: 4x4 was easy, 8x8 was hard, and 10x10 was “insane”.
This interview took place on December 9, 2015
Teaser quote:
“The whole thing was such a great idea ... having users write programs. It was so ahead of its time.”
  • Like 1

Another guy worth a chat is John Kavanaugh

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jklinkedin

He started out on the Atari 8bit and it was me that helped get him his first game published with Futureware called Quest for the Maltese chicken, he then created De Re software with his colleague Pat McCormick (who co wrote QFTMC) and went on to Domark as a suggestion from me, he's worked with some of the greats like Romero and has as you can see from the link, a huge and impressive CV.

If you do get him then give him a hello from me, Paul Irvine.

Edited by Mclaneinc

Another guy worth a chat is John Kavanaugh

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jklinkedin

He started out on the Atari 8bit and it was me that helped get him his first game published with Futureware called Quest for the Maltese chicken, he then created De Re software with his colleague Pat McCormick (who co wrote QFTMC) and went on to Domark as a suggestion from me, he's worked with some of the greats like Romero and has as you can see from the link, a huge and impressive CV.

If you do get him then give him a hello from me, Paul Irvine.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can contact John.

You sound like you might have a story yourself?

any plans for a 16-bit podcast, for atari st/tt/falcon?

You know, I would love to do something like that. It is now the ONLY Atari machine (at least reasonably well-known machine) that doesn't have a podcast. Two podcasts keep me busier than a one-armed paper-hanger, however.

Any takers out there?

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can contact John.

You sound like you might have a story yourself?

Not really, lets just say I've been around and in places at certain times meeting certain people (such as selling Archer MaClean his first DD) but in the end its just been a living and a great hobby.

Hopefully this is appropriate for this thread?

I created an Android app for listening to Atari podcasts. It's free from Google Play at:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andromo.dev5592.app460787

Let me know if it's missing any podcasts. I did skip on the one Lynx-related one I could find, because it appears there was only ever be a single episode.

Russ Wetmore: Preppie!, Sea Dragon, Homepak

Russ Wetmore started at Adventure International, where he worked with Scott Adams on Savage Island Part II. He then went on to program Preppie!, Preppie! II, and Sea Dragon - all of which were published by Adventure International - and Homepak business software, which was published by Batteries Included.
This interview took place on September 24, 2015, and then a little bit more on January 4, 2016.
After the main interview took place, Russ sent me the source code for Preppie!, Preppie! II, and Sea Dragon, plus an demonstration disk of an unfinished Atari game called Lulu. I successfully archived all of those disks and have posted them to archive.org, also made a YouTube video of the Lulu demo.
Video of Lulu: https://t.co/SuRqBrRasd
  • Like 3

how about randy glover (jumpman) ?

steve hales? (slime, dimension x, fort apocalypse) ?

Randy Glover: I haven't been able to find him, and an offering a little prize to the person who gives me a lead that works out.

Steve Hales: I interviewed him in October, and it will be published soon.

Randy Glover: I haven't been able to find him, and an offering a little prize to the person who gives me a lead that works out.

Steve Hales: I interviewed him in October, and it will be published soon.

Looking forward to the Steve Hales pod, I loved his game but there were hard even then to a much faster reaction based young me :)

looking forward to the steve hales interview :)

John Palevich (dandy dungeon, the inspiration for gauntlet)?

Ron J. Fortier (bruce lee)

paul woakes (encounter, mercenary)

robert jaeger (montezuma's revenge)

philip price (alternate reality)

You wouldn't just interview John Palevich about Dandy. You'd interview him about APX and Dandy, being recruited to work for Atari Inc from MIT, working in the Advanced Research Division, specifically his work on AMY [why couldn't Atari Corp later get it to work?], what were the circumstances in which he left, whether Atari Corp later contacted him to get AMY working for the ST and the 65XEM on a contract basis at any point, and then how Atari Corp approached him over Dandy in order to do Dark Chambers - did he code any of it [whether on the 2600, A8, or 7800 versions ] or make suggestions - while he was exploring his legal options against Atari Games over Gauntlet*… and then what's he's done since, whether he followed what Atari Games and Atari Corp did after all of that, has he ever considered updating Dandy, and how he feels about enthusiasts still being excited about all things Atari...

He's on LinkedIn; he works at Google.

*Wonder how he feels about the irony of his involvement with the AMY and the Gauntlet debacle. Had Atari Inc remained intact, Atari "Games" most likely would've used his AMY chip instead of Yamaha's YM2151 which ended up in Gauntlet as well as the majority of their titles until they closed their doors.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

I've never heard of Hi-Res magazine even though I had subscriptions to both Analog and Antic. Weird idea to try to put both Atari people and Commodore people together in one magazine. That is like dog and cat people living together. The David Crane cover was scary.

coverv1n2.jpg

Edited by Master Phruby
  • Like 1

Jim Inscore, Documentation Manager

Jim Inscore was hired at Atari in 1981 as a writer in the marketing department, then became documentation manager, where he managed writers and production staff to produce technical and consumer documentation for Atari computer hardware and software.
This interview took place on December 9, 2015.
Teaser quote:
“A process where ... 12 different design firms came in and did 12 different versions of the packaging. Those of us who had been around for a while were just kinda sitting back and going ‘What is going on here? I don’t understand any of this.’”
  • Like 2