IGNORED

5200 4-port troubleshooting

Colecobrick

Hello. I recently picked up an Atari 5200 4-port console with controllers, hookups, and Pacman for $5. I hooked everything up and turned it on. The light comes on, the switch box clicks, and I get a picture, but it's all garbled. I've read about blue screen, black screen, etc., but I don't seem to see any other people talking about scrambled screen. It's basically a black screen with some waves, color lines, just general noise and interference. I've cleaned the cart, cleaned the pin connector. Does anybody have an idea what the problem might be?

I apologize if my description isn't very helpful, I have little to no technical understanding, so this will be a little tough for me to figure out, even if I can pinpoint the problem.

Thanks guys!

I tried 2 and 3. Even did 4 just in case, but none of them work. I'm wondering if it could be the game, although I don't think it's likely. It's Pac-Man, and I checked the pins, they look good. Even cleaned it. I'm thinking there's probably something wrong inside the console itself, but I really don't even know where to start.

What do you see when you turn the system on without a cart inserted? It should just be a solid black color. If instead, you see the same distortion, you can rule out the cart.

Can you hook up another classic console to the same TV without problems?

Maybe a picture of what you're seeing would help folks give a diagnosis?

What do you see when you turn the system on without a cart inserted? It should just be a solid black color. If instead, you see the same distortion, you can rule out the cart.

Can you hook up another classic console to the same TV without problems?

Maybe a picture of what you're seeing would help folks give a diagnosis?

Okay, so I finally was able to get a video of the 5200 when I turn it on. Perhaps this will help?

ALWAYS UNPLUG POWER BEFORE PLUGGING IN RCA POWER/VIDEO CABLE TO 5200.

The snow indicates a signal is being recieved, be sure of trying both channels and the switch box as well.

Could be the auto switch box itself damaged, the decades old RCA jack solder joints might have popped from the plug in of a tight RCA cable. This happened to my 4 port switch box when I ran an extension RCA cable that had thick insulation interfering with the cutout of the switchbox. I resoldered and opened up the hole in the plastic shell.

I always do RCA first. Except once. Saw the sparks.

Anyway, it isn't a problem with the channel, I've tried it on different channels, and this is what happens when it is on the right channel. So you think it's the switch box? It does click though, I thought that meant it was working. But I guess from what you're saying it could be the actual connection itself and not the inner workings of the switch box?

what AC adapter are you using , from what I recall the system draws quite a bit of power I think 11.5vDC 1.95Amps

I also cleaned the both male & female RCA jack from the console to the switch box & also the slip-on coax F-connector that plugs into the TV with 91% rubbing alcohol ....worked great on mine for awhile then lost channel 3 ( only works on channel 2 now :| ( I might just have to open it up & clean channel selector switch as well) but channel 2 comes in crystal clear on a CRT TV :)

do you have another cart to try , cleaning a few times might help ,

also on that flat screen TV , is there a "game mode setting" or can you try another TV ?

• 1 month later...