IGNORED

Javatari Emulator is now Javatari.js! 100% HTML5/Javascript

Paulo Peccin

Hello,

I am very happy to annouce that Javatari is now Javatari.js!
The emulator has been completely rewritten, and is now 100% in HTML5 and Javascript.
Please visit http://javatari.org
That means it runs in any modern browser:
- No more need for the Java VM/Plugin
- No security issues or warnings
- Runs in Chrome, which has blocked the Java plugin since April/15
- Tested to run with good speed in Chrome and Firefox, but should run in Safari and maybe in IE 11. Tweaks for those coming soon.
Websites that use Javatari to offer online Atari 2600 ROMs to play, like Atarimania, VirtualAtari, Rebobine and so should update to the new version!
Javatari.js is very easy to integrate into websites, due to its HTML nature. Also more customizable.
Please let me know if you need help or support.
Javatari.js supports almost everything the old Javatari did, including:
- Real, clickable Atari Console user interface
- All major ROM formats
- Keyboard and Gamepad controllers
- Savestates and State ROM files
- Full Screen
More features will come in the next versions.
The Java version continues to be supported, for use outside the browser.
If you have any feedback or bug report, please let me know via PM, or post in the discussion forum:
Regards,
Paulo
  • Like 3

Thanks. When I go to the main page of your web site, what do I click on to get this new version? When I click on Project Homepage, I see this:
_

javatari 		Gardening and bugfixes in illegal opcodes 	Feb 28, 2015
	joy 			Version 3.10 					Mar 2, 2013
	joyLinux 		Version 3.10 					Mar 2, 2013
	joyWindows 		Version 3.10 					Mar 2, 2013
	.gitignore 		Version 4.0 					Dec 15, 2013
	Instructions.txt 	Version 4.1 					Apr 10, 2014
	Licence.txt 		File reorganization 				May 4, 2012
	Readme.txt 		Version 4.1 readme 				Apr 11, 2014

Oops, wrong project page! :-)

That is for the Java version.

The link is fixed now, please try again.

With the right project files, you only need to get the "release" folder and put its contents in your website. Then you mimic what is in the index.html inside the release folder in your own page. Basically you only need to create 2 <div> for hosting the interface, and call ONE Javascript file. You can even just copy & paste that part of the HTML directly in your page.

Unfortunately I don't have any documentation yet, but it should not be difficult to integrate if you follow the example in the index.html file provided.

if you need to auto-start a ROM, put this AFTER the call to the Javatari.js script:

<script>Javatari.ROM_AUTO_LOAD_URL = "<path to your rom>";</script>

PM me if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Paulo

Edited by Paulo Peccin
  • Like 1

. . . you only need to get the "release" folder and put its contents in your website.

OK, it looks like I need to click on javatari.js, logo.png, screenborder.png, sprites.png separately, then right click on RAW and download each one that way. Too bad GitHub doesn't let you just have everything people need in one handy ZIP file that they can download and unzip.

I see that javatari.js downloaded as javatari.js.txt, so I removed the .txt bit.

I'll send you a PM because what I uploaded to my site doesn't seem to be working.

I just downloaded it and the sound seems to be way off on my homebrew

ultima, thanks for the feedback.

Well, its still a beta release, but sound should be working ok.

It may me a speed problem, or a browser compatibility issue.

You know, its VERY difficult to get everything working in such a diverse ecosystem as the Internet and the various Web Browsers available.

Can you please send me a PM with details of the computer, OS and browser being used?

Also, please describe what is wrong with the sound.

Paulo

Paulo

I just did Tone Toy 2008:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-program-tone-toy-2008-online.html

Now that my programs will play without the security warnings, I should probably move them back to their original pages instead of having them on separate pages:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-program-seaweed-assault.html

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-program-tone-toy-2008.html

After downloading the ZIP file and getting the files that way, it seems to be working now:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-program-seaweed-assault-game.html

Not working here in Safari or Chrome, though it does work in Firefox.

post-3056-0-48179700-1430592628_thumb.png

The Javatari site works for me with 3 browsers:

post-3056-0-27179500-1430592646_thumb.png

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 1

Thanks. I just switched to full paths. If you get a chance, can you check again?

Everything works fine for me Random, but when I opened for the first time I got a blank space.

After a page refresh I got it working.

Can you test a page refresh SpiceWare?

That's strange... It "may" be an issue with the emulator starting code, but that is happening only in your page.

Maybe your page has other script errors that are preventing the Javatari scripts to start?

I will check on my starting code strategy and make it more robust in case there are other errors in the hosting page.

Paulo

• Like 1

Same results, only worked in Firefox.

Thanks. I just downloaded Google Chrome and the page worked on my Windows 8 PC. Are you using an Apple computer? If so, I wonder why it would work on an Apple computer using Firefox, but not on an Apple computer using Google Chrome?

Thanks. I just downloaded Google Chrome and the page worked on my Windows 8 PC. Are you using an Apple computer?

Yes, I bought a new Mac Pro last summer.

If so, I wonder why it would work on an Apple computer using Firefox, but not on an Apple computer using Google Chrome?

I do not know - though I think the question should really be what's different between your site and the Javatari.org site since that one works.

Just in case there's a browser version issue I checked them all: Chrome and Safari were both up to date while Firefox was at 35.0.1. I updated it to 37.0.2 and it still works on your site.

• Like 1

I overlooked your reply before. I did a few page refreshes when I tried it out the first time, it didn't help.

Just tried it again and this time it worked:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-05-02 at 5.32.22 PM.png

Great! Good to hear that..

I will definitely try to make my launch code more robust and try to make it immune to other script errors in pages.

Paulo

• Like 1

Guys,

Version 0.91 is out, with a few compatibility updates.

It now runs on IE 11, but without audio support. Sorry, not my fault. :twisted: Please use a decent browser! :)

Random Terrain, you should have no problems anymore, please try the new version.

Thank you all for the testing and feedback. Keep them coming!

Paulo

• Like 1