IGNORED

Project Hard 'n' Heavy

Original idea was to do STE fine scroll version, but all it goes pretty slow, starting from proper disassembling of main code, so I released improved version with original screen jumps - which works on all TOS versions, on ST machines, can play all levels (cracks I saw will crash sooner or later because not removed all checksums), is hard disk compatible, unlimited lives and selectable start level.

Here can DL floppy and hard disk versions, look all 25 level maps.
http://atari.8bitchip.info/TestMe/HNH/HnH.html

Some feedback would be nice, especially about how it works on TT . Later I can add title screen and music - org. for STs, DMA track playback for STE and higher. I played all levels, and did not encounter problems, but it is early version, so please feel free to report problems.
Scrolling version will come soon, need to fix some graphic issues yet.

https://youtu.be/otJnXk2Zpv8

• Like 3

Amiga version has rastered background with different scrolling speed, and that works with huge HW support. On STE doing fine scroll for only middle section of screen is enough problematic already.

Plus, routine for drawing moving platforms is made for clean background only.

What I like is music and sound effects - well done, using 3 MFP timers. Amiga sound is cleaner, but ST sound is somehow more atmospheric :)

STE fine scrolling version is done. Get it on same page:
http://atari.8bitchip.info/TestMe/HNH/HnH.html

Few words about changes done in game (code) : first step was disassembly of main file with code and other things, like music data. It took couple days to find all locations where should use labels, proper sizes and similar (what made me to start thread about disasm. troubles). Org. code is done for fixed RAM loc at $30100, what is not compatible with hard disk drivers or Falcon. So, I rearranged game's RAM usage, and it is now fully relocatible. Was able to achieve that work from floppies on STEs with only 512 KB RAM (is there any such ?) by using Desktop workspace for game - what is wasted space in case of AUTO run.
Of course, there is added STE HW scroll code, what required several other changes in displaying routines, on about 100 places. Final step in it was adding own joystick/keyboard reading code, because used TOS routine is just too slow, and that made sometime ugly screen jerks (Timer B IR delayed 1 line because slow TOS ACIA routine) .
One smaller error during it gave me idea to improve demo a bit - so it now goes thru level 1 in 8 steps instead starting every time at level begin.
Added unlimited lives and selectable start level options. But be ready on harder progress without flame thrower at start of same levels.

This version uses different MFP interrupt scheme, so maybe will work on TT. And STE HW scroll code is different than in Jinks (or Chronicles of Omega), so would be good to know how it works on TT.
Tested on Falcon with Hddriver and CF card. On Mega STE with SD card and PP driver + with floppy .
  • Like 5

Me Jaguar port ? Huh :) I'm strictly keyboard man, no consoles ! :-D Reboot is crew what makes Jaguar conversions. All I can do is to supply them disassembled source of main game file.

As much of a change of pace you giving us code might make, no thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice work!!! Tried it on my NTSC 1040STf 1MB and it runs but when the scrolling starts the screen flickers with vertical lines real bad, when I stop the screen is clean again.

Edited by tjlazer

Technically good idea but are there any 512K STF with Blitter around?

I don't know. Maybe someone has broken upper RAM in his Mega ST :) It's just that it needs not more RAM when runs from floppy.

Here is Giana bare (without title screen, music) blitter scrolling version: http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/greatgs.html

Highscore load/save works not, will be fixed soon. Level maps in res 2048x184 px on page.

Amiga version has rastered background with different scrolling speed, and that works with huge HW support. On STE doing fine scroll for only middle section of screen is enough problematic already.

Plus, routine for drawing moving platforms is made for clean background only.

What I like is music and sound effects - well done, using 3 MFP timers. Amiga sound is cleaner, but ST sound is somehow more atmospheric :)

With it being on the Amiga, I'm surprised it hasn't been ported to the Lynx...

Technically good idea but are there any 512K STF with Blitter around?

Who upgraded an STf with a Blitter who didn't also upgrade the RAM, TOS, and probably the CPU along with it? It would've been a different story had Corp made good on all of their promises to make affordable Blitter upgrades for all of the interested owners of non-Mega pre-STEs.

Who upgraded an STf with a Blitter who didn't also upgrade the RAM, TOS, and probably the CPU along with it? It would've been a different story had Corp made good on all of their promises to make affordable Blitter upgrades for all of the interested owners of non-Mega pre-STEs.

They did. It was called an STe. :D

• Like 1

• 11 months later...