IGNORED

"Universal Hero" unplayable on ATARI ?

Lord-Chaos

This is an old action-adventure game by Mastertronic , I think it was released in 1987 on tape.

But I have a problem with the ATARI version.

There´s a room with a computer and you have to use a disk to open some sort of force field.

In the next room there is the rocket ship fuel you need for your spaceship.

This works fine on the Sinclair Spectrum - you can use the disk and enter the password.

But the ATARI versions seems to lock , you cannot enter the password , the name from the ID card you find somewhere.

Is there a bug in the game or is there something different in the ATARI version ?

Thimo

I haven't played this game but do remember reading in the magazine Page 6 / New Atari User that the game contains a bug that doesn't allow you to finish the game.

Could this be the start of a thread - hideous bugs in atari software? One that bothered me was in Fued, again published by Mastertronic, that didn't allow you to pick up a certain herb, meaing you couldn't cast one of the spells.

Avram

I haven't played this game but do remember reading in the magazine Page 6 / New Atari User that the game contains a bug that doesn't allow you to finish the game.

Could this be the start of a thread - hideous bugs in atari software?  One that bothered me was in Fued, again published by Mastertronic, that didn't allow you to pick up a certain herb, meaing you couldn't cast one of the spells.

Avram

I think it is a bug , because the Sinclair Spectrum version is playable , you can enter the password.

The ATARI versions seems to crash when you insert the disk.

I know the problem with "Feud" , too.Not possible to cast the "Lightning" Spell , because you cannot pick up one herb.

I think this is not the case in other versions (C64,Amstrad,16 Bit...)

But you can still finish "Feud" , so it is not unplayable -fastest way is too create a zombie somewhere in the path of your enemy.The AI is not good , so he will not avaoid your zombie and die quickly.

Thimo

There´s a room with a computer and you have to use a disk to open some sort of force field.

Is there a bug in the game or is there something different in the ATARI version ?

Password is SLARTIBARDFAST and the game is know to be buggy. There's a corrected version out there, though.

Password is SLARTIBARDFAST and the game is know to be buggy. There's a corrected version out there, though.

Yes,this is the password from the ID card and it works fine on the Spectrum.

But on the ATARI , you cannot enter anything , the game locks , you can only reset the computer.

Mastertronic´s quality control for ATARI products must have been very bad.I don´t think that the programmers made an unplayable game - they made a better graphics (compared to Spectrum) , use software sprites quite well and then their game is unplayable - a bug at the beginning of the game ???

Were can I find a corrected version / or which bytes must be changed ? And is this the only bug ??

Thimo

• 2 weeks later...

I remember, in any old polish magazine (maybe "Bajtek", maybe "Tajemnice Atari" - I dont remember now...) was way to finish this game. You can write question on polish Atari forum (for egzample: atariarea.nostalgia.pl). Polish sceners knowing english language, so, I think, it is no problem with this problem :)