IGNORED

Rarity reality

Justin Payne

Hey all,

I this this is my first post in the 7800 forum. Although I have a 7800, it's currently boxed up until I get the room to put all of my systems out. I don't have a ton of 7800 carts but since there weren't a lot of them, I thought I would start to collect them.

One day F-18 popped up on auction. Price was a little higher than I wanted to spend but I cruised over rarityguide.com and it was listed as 83% rare and loose carts were in the $40 range but now about $35. I got mine for $18.50, including s&h but when I went to eBay to confirm those prices, it seemed that was high and as far as rare, there are several up there now and there is even a loose cart, with instructions, for $4. Of course, the auction isn't over but I'm starting to wonder how reliable that website is.

Thoughts?

I think websites like that are only as good as the people who create them and the amount of effort put into upkeeping them...and even then you might or might not expect an actual correlation with Ebay.

I think checking completed auctions on ebay is much safer than just looking at what is listed for sale.

Edited by GoldenWheels
  • Like 1

how reliable that website is.

Thoughts?

Take any price charting and rarity guide prices with a grain of salt. Those sites use the average recent sold prices on sites like Amazon and eBay.

So it could mean someone didn't take the time to try and sell it properly (I.E. Too low or high a BIN), and someone happened to purchase it, or got lucky/timing on an auction, or it's truly at the rarity they claim.

At best, it can give you an idea of current price trends from some sites for an item, rather than an actual true guide - be it price or rarity.

I think checking completed auctions on ebay is much safer than just looking at what is listed for sale.

Yep, that's what I did after the fact. I'm still getting that hang of this. I think the bottom line is if it's worth that price to me to have if for my collection. Probably not and I think there comes a point where you start to wonder if I didn't just get caught up in the moment.

Yep, that's what I did after the fact. I'm still getting that hang of this. I think the bottom line is if it's worth that price to me to have if for my collection. Probably not and I think there comes a point where you start to wonder if I didn't just get caught up in the moment.

Hey we've all been there....it's fun to get caught up sometimes!

One of the nice things about the 7800 is (IMO) that many of the good games are on the cheaper end. There's good stuff like Commando and Ikari on the higher end of course but IMO the most fun game on the 7800 is Joust....which is like a 2$ game. Nor should you have to pay a lot for Robotron or the DKs, etc. Grabbing a cheap 7800 lot can get you a lot play time.

Edited by GoldenWheels