IGNORED

MAME with autofire and Tempest?

Keatah

• 3 weeks later...

:D

I wouldn't play half the games I play for fun on Mame without Autofire - the days when I wanted to button mash are long gone. :)

As far as I know Autofire is a function of the front end. I use IV/Play - and that have Autofire.

Having said that, IV/Play has a horrid bug in its interface if you're using an Xbox controller, as I am. The selection screen goes mad at times. Since there's no setting to disable the joystick in the interface it's just something I have to live with. I like IV/Play because it also has the excellent "Image Enhancement" settings. If I could find an interface that had both Autofire and Image Enhancement I'd likely switch to it....

Well after searching around.. I believe the best solution is to build a small circuit that triggers the fire button just as if I was hitting it. The software solutions and other mame builds are fail for Tempest because they hold the button too long. Tempest needs quick bursts because it itself autofires - but at a rate that is not conducive to long-term play or climbing up through the levels. Part of the difficulty I suppose.

But nonetheless I, too, am far past the stage of mindless buttonmashing. Cry foul all you like, call it cheating, but I play my style in my own way.

Tempest autofires by default, but there are a limited number of bullets, so if you hold the button down, it will pulse on and off. No real reason to rapidly mash the button though. It's fairly playable, if a bit twitchy, using a standard joystick. Same with Trackball games like Centipede. A trackball is technically a spinner on two axes.

• 5 weeks later...

I was experimenting around with MAME32 Plus! Plus! v0.119 or something similarly named, it has an autofire feature that almost works for Tempest.

Settings of around 3 through 9 come close. But it seems like the duty cycle needs adjustment rather than the time between triggering. Ideally it would be both, and tunable for the on/off portion.

Who knows, I may just build a small circuit and call it a day.

• 5 weeks later...