IGNORED

Atari 520 STFM - White Screen of Death and Row of Bombs

Hello,

Recently I just purchased a Atari 520ST. I don't know its previous history but it stated:

Atari STFM

2.5mb Upgrade

TOS v.1.02

GEM v0.13

AES v.1.20

Here are some image links (they are too big to upload to the forum). One of the error, the wires and one of my new collection. I believe the machine came from the UK and I bought a rgb scart and a new ac power as it didn't come with either. I'm really hoping there isn't a voltage issue but I would guess it wouldn't even show me a white screen.

Can you help please or ask me if I need to test anything else.

Thank you,

Oliver

Hello,
Recently I just purchased a Atari 520ST. I don't know its previous history but it stated:
Atari STFM
2.5mb Upgrade
TOS v.1.02
GEM v0.13
AES v.1.20
Here are some image links (they are too big to upload to the forum). One of the error, the wires and one of my new collection. I believe the machine came from the UK and I bought a rgb scart and a new ac power as it didn't come with either. I'm really hoping there isn't a voltage issue but I would guess it wouldn't even show me a white screen.
Can you help please or ask me if I need to test anything else.
Thank you,
Oliver

As they say; "Sharing is caring". For those that are interested I fixed the problem. I opened it up and resat all the chips and made sure all connections were working. I managed to get it to boot as normal after that.

Thanks,

Oz

Edited by OJCAtari
  • Like 1

Sorry, I saw your post this morning (before coffee) and started to suggest checking all socketed chips. I have had the same issue with my 520STFM. The second bank of 512kb upgraded memory causes what you describe in mine.

I can also remember the not so responsible method of picking up the front of a STFM and letting it drop back to the desk.

I have had success just pushing down on socketed chips. If your issue returns, removing and replacing suspect chips a few times from their sockets is a good way restore proper connections.

I know, I know..easy to offer advice AFTER you have fixed it yourself!! :)

No problem, the fact there's still people out there willing to help for free is good enough for me. So thanks for letting me join the forum.

Checking through the disks, there's a real gold mine of history. I'd like to share this with people but I need to find out how to record scart suggestions would be appreciated.

If you're looking for audio/video output options to record video, one nice feature of the STFM models is composite line level video out.

Not all ST models will output video that way. Composite video won't be as nice as scart or rgb, but it's quick and readily supported by most capture devices.

Attached is a pinout diagram posted a few years ago at atari-forum by user McCarthy.

Before finally buying a SC1224 Atari monitor, I used a composite video+monitor for years. I built my own cable, but linked below is what one looks like for purchase:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-ST-High-Quality-Composite-AV-Video-TV-Video-lead-by-RETRO-GAMING-CABLES-/121660936784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c538e9250

RGB output is a little more complicated with the ST due to non-vga standard frequencies used, but it is possible.

post-15209-0-64521500-1435605842.png

Thank you, I am actually using the same lead but to scart instead of composite.

I'm just wondering how I save it to digital video now. For example with HDMI I use "hauppauge pvr rocket" which has the HDMI cable coming in and out. How do I do that for this scart connection?

Sorry if I am not making sense and I appreciate the help.