IGNORED

Atari 1040STF question... very confused!

Hi all,

Quick question... I have an Atari 1040 STF. My last SC1224 finally died, and I really don't want to lose my STF. If I buy this cable...

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/monadapt.htm

... can I use my STF with one of the MultiSync monitors mentioned in several threads here?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I'm also looking at the thread by Kremlar below this and the same model ST and cable are mentioned, but i'm still not 100% sure it will work - especially for both video and audio :(

The Best second generation cable you are looking at will do the job IF you acquire one of the VGA displays capable of scanning the lower frequencies output by Atari ST.

Atari ST treats color and monochrome as two modes. That particular cable has a toggle button to enable high res mode.

Using a PC monitor, the computer can be started in monochrome mode with the switch engaged. Compatible displays are able to do both color and monochrome video instead of having two monitors on your desk.

The RCA male connector just outputs line level audio from the Atari. Plug that into your monitor's audio input (if it has one) or use a set of desktop pc speakers.

• Like 1

This will probably sound like begging (and it kinda is), but does anyone have one of these cables they are willing to sell? The cost of the cable plus the cost of one of the compatible monitors is going to push me over $100, which is a bit of a gamble for me as I'm not even 100% sure my STF still even works :S

Well, nevermind I guess, I have a feeling my ST has issues. I can't verify anything as I don't have a monitor obviously, but when I switch it on the drive light stays solid, even 15 minutes after power on. With a disk in the drive it sounds like it is trying to read it for the first few seconds, then no other activity and the light stays solid orange still.

This is highly upsetting :(

Why not just get a RGB to SCART cable and use that ? they are only about £10 off evilbay. I use a cheap LCD TV on my atari and it works pretty well.

As for floppy light on all the time, that normally means the floppy cable is in upside down. The motor will spin constantly also.

Why not just get a RGB to SCART cable and use that ? they are only about £10 off evilbay. I use a cheap LCD TV on my atari and it works pretty well.

As for floppy light on all the time, that normally means the floppy cable is in upside down. The motor will spin constantly also.

If he is in the US, SCART isn't a typical option.

He can get, or maybe make, a hires cable and hook it up to any VGA monitor to see if the Atari works? Does any analog VGA monitor work with the ST hires mode? If he sees it works, hunt down the multisync.

I haven't looked in a couple years, but a SC1224 could be had and shipped for less then (but close to) $100 in the US.

Edited by Charlie_

Yeah i'm in the US, SCART unfortunately is not an option... being originally from the UK, I miss SCART :(

I have no idea how to make cables, and have zero soldering skills. Of course no one around me has even HEARD of an Atari ST, which means borrowing a RGB to VGA cable is also out of the question. I think I might have access to several multisync monitors at work (if I can find them), but the cost of the cable, along with the possibility that the STF is broken (and also now that I see it has no activity), means i'll just have to consider this a loss :(

Thanks for your help, everyone... it is much appreciated.