IGNORED

Galaga arcade?

Wayne2072

I seem to recall a thread that had a ROM attached where someone had graciously updated the graphics in Galaga to look more like the arcade. I can't remember what other enhancements there may have been. I also have been unable to find that thread after a few different keyword searches, and sifting through posts. If anyone can point me to the thread and/or rom, I'd appreciate it.

Wayne

• 1 month later...

Pretty awesome hack. I've always liked Galaga on the 7800, but somehow I always wanted it just a tad more faithful to the arcade game.

Something else that would be awesome for Galaga? POKEY sound/music. :-D

(See attached zip for RMT tracker and sample MP3 files for the main theme on POKEY).

galaga7800pokey.zip

• Like 2

I played Galaga 7800 again earlier tonight. I basically pulled all the back-in-the-day 7800 arcade ports off the shelf (and Pacman Collection) and had at it. Don't know why but I really dig 7800 Galaga over the NES version despite the markedly lower resolution. I got the double ship and kept it for like six or seven or eight rounds, unbelievable! Most rounds I killed all the enemies before they completed formation. I noticed a marked speed up at round ten that made the game so hardcore. I stupidly tried to get back my double ship again, allowing myself to be captured on round thirteen with one life to spare, and shot the frigging thing during formation, sending my own fighter to attack me, then died in the swarm of insects... :dunce:

My biggest gripe about Galaga 7800 is the grating TIA sound effects whenever a captured fighter is present onscreen. Everything else is pretty good and fairly accurate, but the captured fighter tune grates, and continues even if you game over before reclaiming it.

Unrelated, but I played Robotron 2084 for the first time with twin joysticks. I used my custom 7800 controller for the left joystick and my Sega Genesis Arcade stick for the right joystick. Can I just say that game is awesomely hardcore...

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

I also just played 7800 Galaga late last night.

Starting on Advanced really makes gameplay arcade-like.

I really wasn't bothered by the TIA sound, rather I was shocked in the middle of gaming, remembering that it was only using TIA sound!

Although it is good sound for a 70's console, the 7800 is a 1984/1986 console and should have better built-in sound instead of intending to use better sound chips in each cartridge.

I think this game is a rare exception of tia sounding great. This game is great all around and yeah if the gameplay is slow the fix is as easy as trying a higher difficulty setting.

Btw the grating sounds in your opinion were present on many early arcades. So to me it brings an even more realistic arcade experience. Also retains the original atari VCS charm that I grew to love as a child as the soul of the 2600 is in there.

I hate all the utube comments of oh my ears ahhh etc.. in many atari games there is no problem with the sound(they are vid games btw) I think maybe the original dk dkjr etc. have some poorly programmed tia sounds and maybe a few more but for the most part the only thing tia did wrong was only bring 2 channels so the lack of in game music etc is not there.. but then again for the early arcade ports which the 7800 I think was made to handle there was never any background music anyway.

• Like 1

I played Galaga 7800 again earlier tonight. I basically pulled all the back-in-the-day 7800 arcade ports off the shelf (and Pacman Collection) and had at it. Don't know why but I really dig 7800 Galaga over the NES version despite the markedly lower resolution. I got the double ship and kept it for like six or seven or eight rounds, unbelievable! Most rounds I killed all the enemies before they completed formation. I noticed a marked speed up at round ten that made the game so hardcore. I stupidly tried to get back my double ship again, allowing myself to be captured on round thirteen with one life to spare, and shot the frigging thing during formation, sending my own fighter to attack me, then died in the swarm of insects... :dunce:

My biggest gripe about Galaga 7800 is the grating TIA sound effects whenever a captured fighter is present onscreen. Everything else is pretty good and fairly accurate, but the captured fighter tune grates, and continues even if you game over before reclaiming it.

Unrelated, but I played Robotron 2084 for the first time with twin joysticks. I used my custom 7800 controller for the left joystick and my Sega Genesis Arcade stick for the right joystick. Can I just say that game is awesomely hardcore...

I prefer the 7800 version to the NES version as well. I'm on board with POKEY audio enhancement though and maybe making the explosions more arcade-like in their animations. That's it.

As for Robotron: 2084, the 7800 needs the POKEY audio from the 5200 version. That goes for ANY game the 7800 shares with the 5200 and/or A8. This is especially true of Crossbow. That's just for starters… if the 7800 has POKEY, it should trump the A8/5200 versions because like with Commando, they should do 6-channel sound thanks to POKEY+TIA and distributing sound responsibilities. And that's even before considering an XM style expansion into the equation.

My biggest issue with the 7800 port is the screen proportions.

They got it right with Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, and even Xevious, shrinking the width of the playfield to better match a vertical game orientation, but unfortunately dropped the ball with Galaga.

The playfield should not span the entire left and right side of the screen, the player's ship traverses way too far/much horizontally. It directly impacts the gameplay, which is more important (to me) than having upgraded sound or better looking graphics - Although both items are greatly appreciated. :)

• Like 1

I tend to like the "scoreboard on the side" configuration like a lot of Namco and Taito ports have.

They did this with Pacman and Galaga on the NES. Pacman just feels neutered though. For some reason despite it's deficiencies, 7800 Galaga feels more arcadey to me than the NES version.

• Like 1