IGNORED

XRGB-mini Framemeister - Best settings for Atari 2600?

tremoloman2006

Hello everyone,

After years of drooling over this device, I finally took the plunge and used my tax return to get one of these puppies. I have a S-Video modded heavy-sixer I want to use with my Samsung plasma TV. I connected up the 2600 to the screen and it is bright, clear, and sharp. However, I do see random bits of distortion on the sides of the screen and occasionally throughout the picture. It's minute and easy to live with but I'd rather get it cleared up more if possible. I updated the firmware to 2.0A and it actually got worse. Go figure!

Do any of you have experience with this device and a 2600? If so, would you mind sharing your settings for optimal performance?

I'm going to try it with my 7800, NES, and Colecovision next and see how they work out.

Best regards,

Tremoloman

I have one of these I use with a large LCD television, also with an s-video modified 2600. However, I have no idea what my settings are, as I need to update the firmware to English, which is something I haven't gotten around to doing yet. I will have to endeavor to do that soon, as I may use this at the upcoming Classic Game Fest for tournaments to display games on a 65" screen. :D

..Al

• Like 1

I have one of these I use with a large LCD television, also with an s-video modified 2600. However, I have no idea what my settings are, as I need to update the firmware to English, which is something I haven't gotten around to doing yet. I will have to endeavor to do that soon, as I may use this at the upcoming Classic Game Fest for tournaments to display games on a 65" screen. :D

..Al

Hi Al,

Do you see any distortion or artifacting? If not, would you mind telling me which version of firmware you are on? I could revert back to an older build if it works better.

I primarily got this for my Atari 2600/7800/Colecovision.

Thanks so much,

Trem

NOTE: If you want to update the firmware Al, it's super easy:

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB-mini_FRAMEMEISTER#Firmware

Edited by tremoloman2006

I just updated my firmware to the latest 2.0 version, so now I have proper English menus. I've tested with both a composite output Intellivision and s-video output from one of my 2600 systems. The S-Video output looks better, but even the composite from the Intellivision looks great. Some photos:

intellivision_testing.jpg

space_rocks_2.jpg

space_rocks_1.jpg

I really haven't played around with too many of the settings yet. Need to find a good online guide for them. But even "out of the box", it looks pretty good.

..Al

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it's going to vary based on system and mod (it sounds like your modded Atari 2600 may be sending out a slightly variable signal). I generally have my XRGB-mini set to NATURAL for the Processing mode with STANDARD aspect ratio and a BRIGHTNESS of 19 (that allows the black levels to show true black on the display I'm using). I also almost always have the output set to 1920x1080p/60. I often also use the MEISTER setting and usually have scanlines set to off, though the scanline thing is obviously personal preference.

The XRGB-mini is only as good as the signal you feed it. It does OK with composite, but really shines when you give an S-VIDEO or better signal. Naturally, RGB is best, but not every system has a good RGB mod (or native RGB output).

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it's going to vary based on system and mod (it sounds like your modded Atari 2600 may be sending out a slightly variable signal). I generally have my XRGB-mini set to NATURAL for the Processing mode with STANDARD aspect ratio and a BRIGHTNESS of 19 (that allows the black levels to show true black on the display I'm using). I also almost always have the output set to 1920x1080p/60. I often also use the MEISTER setting and usually have scanlines set to off, though the scanline thing is obviously personal preference.

That's pretty much how I have it setup, although I need to check the brightness and the "MEISTER" setting. What do you have your Gamma set to?

The XRGB-mini is only as good as the signal you feed it. It does OK with composite, but really shines when you give an S-VIDEO or better signal. Naturally, RGB is best, but not every system has a good RGB mod (or native RGB output).

Yeah, composite looks pretty good all things considering. That's why nearly all my systems been modified with s-video output, where possible. It's a shame that s-video has been phased out on any newer video hardware.

..Al

What's the best site to order one of these, and what is the model/unit number? -- Thx.

I got mine from here: http://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit

You should also order a sticker off eBay (or elsewhere) with English commands that goes over the Japanese remote. http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ is a good place to get cables for various systems.

• Like 1

That's pretty much how I have it setup, although I need to check the brightness and the "MEISTER" setting. What do you have your Gamma set to?

Yeah, composite looks pretty good all things considering. That's why nearly all my systems been modified with s-video output, where possible. It's a shame that s-video has been phased out on any newer video hardware.

..Al

I never changed the Gamma from the default. I didn't need it for the display I was using.

As for S-VIDEO, I accepted the fact that it got phased out until of course I got the XRGB-mini. Now I want it phased back in. ;-)

EDIT: For those interested, I posted a few examples of using the XRGB-mini with various systems (I have a lot more in the queue): http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/tag/xrgb-mini/

Edited by Bill Loguidice

I got mine from here: http://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit

You should also order a sticker off eBay (or elsewhere) with English commands that goes over the Japanese remote. http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ is a good place to get cables for various systems.

Appreciate the info. and thanks for the quick reply Bill.

I bought mine off eBay and it was a bit more than the cheapest, however it came with 2 English remote overlays.

I only used my 7800 S-video longhorn which has terrible ghosting, but pressing buttons on the Framemeister remote I got it to the correct aspect and scan lines so now the LCD TV really looks like a crt. Love it so much!

• 3 weeks later...

I just updated my firmware to the latest 2.0 version, so now I have proper English menus. I've tested with both a composite output Intellivision and s-video output from one of my 2600 systems. The S-Video output looks better, but even the composite from the Intellivision looks great. Some photos:

I really haven't played around with too many of the settings yet. Need to find a good online guide for them. But even "out of the box", it looks pretty good.

..Al

Thank you for posting some pictures of your results Al. Wow... it looks AMAZING on your TV!

I'll try my new LG TV tomorrow and check my results. I tested mine using a Heavy Sixer with a S-Video mod which is crystal clear on a standard CRT.

Thank you all for your advice and input!

Best regards,

Trem