IGNORED

Want to take the 5200 plunge; lend me your knowledge

GoldenWheels

I'm no stranger to Atari (had various 2600s, had an XE since childhood, have a 7800 and an XE now) but I've never had a 5200. It's the one Atari I've never experienced and I would like too.

So I know (or think I know) the various things I need to be aware of from just being around the Atari world, but it be appreciated if anyone could correct me or add to this (I googled Atari 5200 buyers guide but that just gets you games lists!):

1. There's 4 port systems and 2 port systems. 4 port has that integrated RF/power unit. 2 port does not. I will never have 4 people over at once to play it, so my understanding is I should get the two port system. Correct?

2. The controllers are very problematic and I should probably get a refurb unit from someplace like Best. Correct?

3. What should I pay for a system with all the hoookups and a "working" controller? What should I pay for common games? I looked at completed ebay auctions and the final values were surprisingly spread out for what looked like similar lots, I wasn't able to get a good baseline idea.

4. Top games I should get right away? I'm a huge Joust fan so that's a no brainer, and I haven't played Pitfall II since I had it on my XE, so they're the tops right now. Other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks guys!

I just recently jumped on the 5200 bandwagon, so I might be of some help.

1. Go for the four port system if possible. The two port wont play a few certain games (Pitfall being one.

2. Best controllers are an option, but you should get used to fixing the controllers on your own as well. Part of owning a 5200 is maintaining the controllers...it kinda goes with the turf. It's not too hard and there are lots of resources here. Odds are if you buy a used 5200, the controllers will be in rough shape.

3. I got a deal for a 5200 with a ton of games on craigslist. Then saw another deal and picked that up too! I ended up with a four port with 3 controllers and a two port with two controllers and a trak ball for under $250 with over 45 games!

In short, keep an eye out for a deal and accept that the controllers that come with it wont function.

4. Lots of resources here and I recently asked the same question about which games. However, most games for the 5200 are pretty good, there are only a few stinkers out there (Congo Bongo, Gorf....). It depends on which types of games you enjoy. The 5200 excels at arcade classics.

Jeez that is kind of AWFUL (but very valuable) news for me already Amity. Glad I asked, thanks!

I didn't realize the two port didn't play certain games. I really wanted to avoid that weird combo box if possible, but hell, I really DO want to play Pitfall II (and don't want to NOT be able to play anything). Is there a list of games that WON'T play on the two port?

I also love Gorf (and it kills me the 8 bit version won't run on my XE) so that is super disappointing to hear as well. Will still grab it if I see it cheap, maybe I can get it in a lot.

Edited by GoldenWheels

The three games that won't play on the 2 ports are Mountain King, K-Razy Shootout, and Pitfall. Pitfall 2 will work fine.

AtariAge user boxpressed wrote a very nice guide to the 5200 you may be interested in: http://retroauction.com/buying-and-selling-an-atari-5200/

5200 Gorf is the exact same game as Atari 8-bit Gorf, other than it uses analog control that works against your efforts to move your ship precisely. (I think this must be due to poor programming, as Missile Command also uses analog control, and it's a HUGE help with precision) It's not a great game, but you can get it cheaply.

A very nice bonus of the 5200 over the XE is that most of the games are cheaper than the corresponding XE game. (The rarest 5200 game, Bounty Bob Strikes Back, is definitely an exception to this rule.)

I personally have no issue with the 4-port switchbox, but then, I'm one of the few folks who never unhook their 5200! I love that huge shiny monster!

The Atarimax cart is indeed nice, but I also like the treasure hunt. I also like the feel of inserting the gigantic 5200 games. So I use the Atarimax just for the many prototypes and conversions, and the actual carts for the original and homebrew 5200 library.

• Like 3

Far as I know, Pitfall and Mountain King will not play on 2 port consoles. Pitfall II will run. With a 2 port, there are options for playing the other games: 1- swap in BIOS chip from a 4 port. 2- use a flash cart and run the "patched" ROMs on it.

I repair my own controllers and prefer the stock components over the Best versions. It depends on the type of gamer you are. The gold parts do not seem to hold up well under heavy play, but are lifetime guaranteed. I use the original parts and clean mine every other year or so as problems start. if used regularly, they will last longer than just sitting.

I use a 4 port console and have little trouble ever with it. All IC's inside are socketed and make repairs simple. I also have a 2 port and while the main chips are in sockets, the most likely ones to fail are not.

As for games, I recommend the following:

River Raid

The Dreadnaught Factor

Missile Command

Pole Position

Galaxian

Space Invaders

Robotron 2084

Mario Bros.

and I would not consider GORF to be a stinker

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

Thanks guys....like both of you, I enjoy the thrill of the treasure hunt myself. Plus I find that when I just get all the games at once...I'm much less likely to give them all a fair shot.

Thanks for that guide link sdamon, going to read that over lunch. (and thanks especially for the games clarification....I'll never miss the original Pitfall but I do want to play 2 and as you point out, the XE one is kind of stupid expensive vs. the 5200 version. Also along those lines, Mountain King and K-Razy Shootout I can get fairly cheaply for the XE if I want. Methinks 2 port may be my choice).

Far as I know, Pitfall and Mountain King will not play on 2 port consoles. Pitfall II will run. With a 2 port, there are options for playing the other games: 1- swap in BIOS chip from a 4 port. 2- use a flash cart and run the "patched" ROMs on it.

I repair my own controllers and prefer the stock components over the Best versions. It depends on the type of gamer you are. The gold parts do not seem to hold up well under heavy play, but are lifetime guaranteed. I use the original parts and clean mine every other year or so as problems start. if used regularly, they will last longer than just sitting.

I use a 4 port console and have little trouble ever with it. All IC's inside are socketed and make repairs simple. I also have a 2 port and while the main chips are in sockets, the most likely ones to fail are not.

As for games, I recommend the following:

River Raid

The Dreadnaught Factor

Missile Command

Pole Position

Galaxian

Space Invaders

Robotron 2084

Mario Bros.

and I would not consider GORF to be a stinker

Thanks for the recs and the info Zylon!

I'm not really into the Best controllers honestly if they break/wear down just as easily as the stock ones. Is there a converter unit which would allow me to use another (non-analog I know) controller like 7800 has?

Thanks for the recs and the info Zylon!

I'm not really into the Best controllers honestly if they break/wear down just as easily as the stock ones. Is there a converter unit which would allow me to use another (non-analog I know) controller like 7800 has?

Yep, several. There's the vintage Masterplay adapter, the Redemption adapter that AtariAge used to sell several years ago, and the more recent adapter sold by AtariAge user lowbudget. They all let you use a 2600 controller instead of the 5200 controller, although the first two require a standard controller to be used for it's keypad functions.

There's also the Coin Controls Competition Pro joystick, which also also uses digital control with a Y-cable to attach a standard controller for the keypad. Using that, you don't need an adapter.

None of these solutions will let you play games that require analog control, such as Centipede, Missile Command, Star Wars, Star Raiders, Super Breakout, and Gorf.

I was once in much the same place as the OP. I owned every console that Atari released, and several varieties of the 8-bit computers as well, but I had never seen a 5200 in person and didn't have any interest in getting one. I didn't see the need for it, since the exclusives have long since been ported over to the computers, where I could play them with much better controllers. But eventually, the style of the 5200 (it's the most stylish console Atari ever released, I think) and the plug-and-play convenience of a console, plus the pure novelty factor, finally won me over.

The 5200 is like an exotic yet high-maintenance sports car: it looks great, it's luxurious, and it's fun to use, but it's expensive to get into and requires a lot of work, especially when you're first assembling a complete system. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Atari's stock joystick controllers are highly problematic and aren't much fun to work on, and the few third-party alternatives are rare and expensive and have problems of their own. My advice is to invest in a set of refurbished 5200 joysticks from Best Electronics: over the years, they've identified the biggest design flaws of these joysticks and have developed remedies for most of them (redesigned gold-plated action buttons and keypads, etc). As someone who owns several of them, I can attest that they function better and hold up longer than Atari's originals. You'll probably still need to recalibrate your console, but Best can help with that as well.
  2. Speaking of controllers, be sure to treat yourself to a good 5200 Trak-Ball controller. It's one of the best controllers ever designed for any console, and it even works well with 5200 games that weren't originally designed with a trackball in mind. If you're investing in a 5200 anyway, why not see the best it has to offer?
  3. The original four-port model's combined power supply and RF box was indeed a horrible idea, but there are ways of getting rid of it now, if you're at all comfortable with a soldering iron. Somewhere in the 5200 forum is a step-by-step guide for a 5200 power mod, and you can also mod the console for composite and S-Video output.
  4. When I had to choose between the two-port and four-port models, I went ahead with the four-port. Having only two joystick ports on a gigantic console clearly designed to accommodate four seemed incredibly wasteful to me. Plus, I wanted to leave open the possibility of four simultaneous players, since I do occasionally break out the vintage systems for holidays and parties.
  5. Finally, I would strongly recommend investing in a multi-cart such as the AtariMax 5200 Ultimate SD cartridge. This gives you the ability to have all the original 5200 releases, unreleased prototypes, homebrews, and 400/800 conversions, all in one cartridge.
  • Like 2

Jeez reading the buyer's guide over lunch and some of your guys comments are reminding me why I never took the plunge before! :-D

But I don't think I can turn back now...it's time. I'll definitely get a trackball jaybird, and I'll certainly get Robotron and Space Dungeon rxd! Only problem there is then I need TWO working controllers!

To me the real reason to get a 5200 in addition to an 8-bit are the prototype games. There are a ton of fully completed (or nearly so) games for the 5200 that were never released for the 8-bit and only exist in prototype form. Some have been modified to run on the 8-bits but most have not. Of course to play these you'll either need REALLY deep pockets or a flashcart. :)

I'll certainly get Robotron and Space Dungeon rxd! Only problem there is then I need TWO working controllers!

Technically, only one of them needs to work well. :-) The second controller is just used to shoot (via the joystick), so it doesn't matter if any of it's buttons work. And the buttons are the typical failure points of the CX-52.

Jeez reading the buyer's guide over lunch and some of your guys comments are reminding me why I never took the plunge before! :-D

But I don't think I can turn back now...it's time. I'll definitely get a trackball jaybird, and I'll certainly get Robotron and Space Dungeon rxd! Only problem there is then I need TWO working controllers!

Not exactly. Most controllers you will find have working directionals. it is the buttons that stop working, so all you need is one with good buttons for use in left port as sdamon said above before i saw it. ;)

I'd add Gyruss to your list, but that one is hard to get a stick calibrated to.

Edited by zylon

Good point on the sticks guys....you'd think I would think of that since I built a 7800 controller holder and since it was kind of a permanent build, I used one controller with bad buttons but a good stick. As long as you can start the game right?

I like Gyruss very much....have the NES and XE version. As I very much like comparing versions, that's a sure thing eventually too.

What do you guys think:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121700279998?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't mind the slight cosmetic issues (a few scratches), if all is as he says it is, fair deal? My birthday is a comin' and this is my 'big' present, but I want to get it right. I don't mind waiting for a better deal if this isn't a good one.

What do you guys think:

Seems just a bit high considering there's just the one controller, no boxes or manuals, and almost all the games are quite common. Although the free shipping is nice, especially since it will be moving between NM and CT. Do be sure to ask any ebay seller to pack it well. There have been lots of reports of 5200's arriving with cracked up cases due to inadequate shipping materials being used.

I recently did the same thing you are talking about, and as many of the other people in this conversation are... I'm really glad I did. Here is how things played out for me over the course of about 6 months:

4-Port 5200 with a power mod (power goes into console instead of RF box) with controller and 6 common but good games = $130 shipped

Atarimax 5200 Ultimate SD Cart = $136 shipped

2 Best CX52 Rebuilt Joysticks = $105 shipped

So I am around $370 in and I feel like that is a very reasonable price for access to almost everything 5200 at my fingertips, and it opens me up to actually collect in the future if I was ever to make that choice. I hope you are able to get what you want out of this expedition.

--silvahaloone

Does seem a touch high if all works well, but looks different if you separate it out.

15 games @ $3 each =$45

Shipping on this must be at least $35

That gives you $80 right there and rest is system and controller. Even dead or "untested" ones seem to fetch 20 to 30 shipped for parts online regularly.

dont buy individual games just buy the flash memory cart

ive spent as much on games i could have had the flash cart and play the roms that are not on cart like ducks ahoy

but the best advice i could give is dont do it just run away

go get a colecovision

Edited by bohoki

I've had a 5200 since 2012 and I DO NOT regret investing in it. I paid $125 for mine and it was the 2 port system with 10 commons and a couple joysticks (Of course they didn't work). I had to take them apart and take some qtips and 91% alcohol to wipe out the carbon residue. After doing this numerous times I just had to get a pair of the Best gold plated controllers. And when it says "Lasts a lifetime" they truly mean it. They work like a charm and you will never have an issue. As for the consoles. Bear in mind, that the 2 port model is incompatible to a few games, 3 to be exact. They are Pitfall, Krazy Shootout, and Mountain King. You can do a BIOS swap to play these games though. I got the trakball earlier this year and it is sweet!!! I truly love it and it is a beast. It's compatible with Tempest, Space Invaders, Pole Position, Galaxian, Super Breakout, Krazy Shootout, Realsports Football, Centipede, Missle Command (Awesome with it), Pengo, Defender, Realsports Tennis, and Realsports Soccer. The VCS adapter only works with 2 port models and * labelled serial numbers. They aren't worth getting since you own a 2600. Here is the breakdown pricewise.

Cost of a console should be $40-$50.

A Best gold Controller is about $45.

A trakball controller is about $30-$40 (not in box)

For games. Go with the Atarimax 128 in 1 multicart. It has all the games plus 8 bit computer conversions, prototypes, and can download the roms to the SD card. It is $120 for it. Take into consideration it is less than $1 a game. And the reccommended route. It is a truly great system and you will enjoy it once you own one. :-D

• Like 2

I just grabbed Adventure 2, Sinistar and Rescue on Fractalus. Once you have a controller that works, it's a fun system. It has a cool mix of classic games with a few interesting oddities to collect as well.

For me, the cool thing is having a system I didn't own as a kid.

As mentioned above, the buttons are usually what goes on the controllers. You can save a few bucks and order the replacements from Best. A set of fire buttons and a keypad and you are good to go.

Enjoy the system!

• Like 1

Something I have come to greatly appreciate is the PC controller adapter (gameport plug) I got from bohoki- check out that thread here in the forum. I am very happy to have the freedom to use a variety of digital and analog controllers for my games :)

• Like 2