IGNORED

Want to take the 5200 plunge; lend me your knowledge

GoldenWheels

Appreciate ALL the advice guys..I'm looking at a lower priced lot right now that also includes a track ball and 10 games, looks to be a better deal. Since it's a bday thing, I do want it now Now NOW!, but I can wait to get it right and save some $$.

I get the idea of the multicart saving you money long term...I just don't normally do multicarts (only have a Vectrex one). I enjoy collecting the actual games. ;-)

bohoki, I already have a Colecovision! Talk about bad controllers.....

• Like 3

Appreciate ALL the advice guys..I'm looking at a lower priced lot right now that also includes a track ball and 10 games, looks to be a better deal. Since it's a bday thing, I do want it now Now NOW!, but I can wait to get it right and save some $$.

I get the idea of the multicart saving you money long term...I just don't normally do multicarts (only have a Vectrex one). I enjoy collecting the actual games. ;-)

bohoki, I already have a Colecovision! Talk about bad controllers.....

Awesome!! :-D

I understand on collecting the games in singles. I will give you a top ten reccomendation.

- Tempest is a must have. I'm sure you know it is only sold on Atariage. It is a perfect arcade port, and your 5200 collection will not be complete without this.

- Robotron 2084 is another excellent port. You can play it with a single controller, but it is WAY better the traditional method of 2 joysticks.

- Missle Command. Once you get the trak ball, this is a must have. It plays amazing, perfect, and flawless. That is one of the many reasons to own a trak ball.

- Gremlins. An absolute hidden gem and one of the funnest games on the 5200. A bit rare but not horribly expensive.

- Centipede. A perfect arcade port. And yes the trak ball!! The POKEY chip sounds absolutley perfect and identical to the arcade.

- Qix. If you like puzzle games. Then you will love Qix. Warning: You will not put down the controller it is so addicting.

- Kangaroo. Another perfect arcade transition. Great Donkey Kong clone.

- Joust. Fun game and another perfect port.

- Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man. They are both great and easy to find. No more than $3

- Berzerk. It is voice activated just like the arcade version.

Hope this will help. And there are some other great games as well!! Countermeasure, Dig Dug, Q*Bert, Frogger, and Popeye as well.

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more on collecting the actual games. The 5200 library is both fairly small and relatively inexpensive... a real collector's delight! And the carts are just so physically large and fun to handle.

Should you find you enjoy the 5200 a great deal, you might still consider a multicart at some later point just due to the enormous number of prototypes and 800/XL/XE conversions that are available for the 5200. My 128-in-1 multicart has no original games or commercially sold homebrews on it, and is still very nearly full!

• Like 1

Good point on the sticks guys....you'd think I would think of that since I built a 7800 controller holder and since it was kind of a permanent build, I used one controller with bad buttons but a good stick. As long as you can start the game right?

I like Gyruss very much....have the NES and XE version. As I very much like comparing versions, that's a sure thing eventually too.

Gyruss is by far my favorite non-Atari arcade game. I absolutely hate the NES version as well as whatever that modified POS is that Microsoft sells in the Xbox Live store claiming to be Gyruss. Having said that, I love the 5200 version which apparently Parker Bros ported over from A8 without any real modifications. Supposedly, there's a 5200 specific version that is even better - possibly with similar graphics to the Colecovision version - but it wasn't released and I've seen a couple of postings that the programmer has the unreleased ROM.

Nobody has mentioned the PC Gameport adapters available for the 5200 so you could use PC analog controllers on your 5200. The MakoPad is often mentioned since it has analog and digital sticks on it. AtariAge used to make the Redemption series of adapters and they even had a Sega Genesis controller adapter for the 5200.

The main reason to own the 5200 is the Trak-Ball Controller. There are so many 5200 games that natively support [even Pole Position for Crom's sake!] the Trak-Ball unlike their A8 counterparts. Even if those games were back ported to A8, the CX-22 and the CX-80 Trak-Balls are inferior to the 5200's CX-53. And I say this as a Trak-Ball fan long before I became friends with Dan Kramer who designed Atari's console Trak-Ball controllers. :)

The comment about the 5200 being like an expensive sports car is dead on. It's like owning a 70s era Jaguar. Lots of maintenance but at the end of the day, it's still a Shaguar. It is definitely Atari's best looking console ever and it is all style. I love the 7800 but it is definitely a "cost reduced" system in comparison. That's another thing…most of the games the 7800 shares with the 5200 do have better graphics but the 5200 versions have better audio, and sometimes playability too.

So definitely get a 5200! The more the merrier because if there's one console that deserves more homebrew love, it's the 5200.

• Like 2

I rebuilt my controllers many years ago and they function fine.

I highly recommend the Atarimax SD cart. You can still hunt for originals, but the SD cart gives you access to everything right away. Plus you can play all the excellent A8 converted games too.

• Like 3

I rebuilt my controllers many years ago and they function fine.

I highly recommend the Atarimax SD cart. You can still hunt for originals, but the SD cart gives you access to everything right away. Plus you can play all the excellent A8 converted games too.

…and less wear and tear on the 5200's cartridge port if you have the AtariMax cart.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I pulled the trigger on that lot over the weekend, and picked up another small handful of game to boot (like $3.50 a piece for 7 games).

Now I just have to hope the controller is as "working" as the listing says it is so I can actually play it when I get it!

• Like 2

I was given my atari 5200 by my uncle. I got 4 controllers that I needed to fix up (I fixed three and sorta damaged one a bit more) and have been playing with it since. I've been thinking of getting a flashcart but wanted to get some feedback on the atarimax cart. I may need to put that on my wishlist.

I was given my atari 5200 by my uncle. I got 4 controllers that I needed to fix up (I fixed three and sorta damaged one a bit more) and have been playing with it since. I've been thinking of getting a flashcart but wanted to get some feedback on the atarimax cart. I may need to put that on my wishlist.

Don't think about it. Get it!! Make sure it is the 128 in 1 SD. Don't get the USB. I really love it!! All 69 games, prototypes, and download the roms onto your SD card. Best investment for any 5200 owner and well worth it!

Well....I certainly get the exotic car references at this point. The 5200 has me well broken in to repairs in one night.

I received mine last night...was super disappointed to see the front and back pieces had cracked in shipping:

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

But the unit powered on and dammit I wanted to play....so I decided to keep on truckin'. I got out the super glue, grabbed another set of hands, and glued that mother back together. Did a damn good job too, you can barely see a hairline crack on the front now (a piece I can replace anyway) and the hinge on the back is as strong (weak?) as it was.

I also washed out the case completely because man, with all those open case holes on the bottom....this thing had bugs in it. Dead bugs, but bugs none the less.

So then I put it all back together and...you guessed it, you KNEW it....controller doesn't work. Well, most of it does, but no fire buttons. So off I go to find a repair video and my contact eraser. A little cleaning, a few more beers, and some swearing later....ladies and gentlemen, we've got liftoff.

And I like it! The RF signal is pretty damn good. The controller...took some getting used to for Joust and Defender due to it's analog nature (and I wonder if I can ever play Pac Man etc with it) but especially with Defender I was really enjoying it once I adjusted. Sadly a few of the games won't play but I assume they just need some cleaning, and I was too busy playing Joust and Defender to bother.

Hopefully I can get Pitfall II working tonight! Quickclaw needs my help. :-D

• Like 5

Man I am sorry about the console being slightly damaged during shipping. Hope they packed it well. Whenever I pack I always make sure it is well packed that it can survive a nuclear war and leave zilch space. A long time ago I bought a spare 7800 and the idiot mailed it in a large mailing envelope, not a box and it was completely damaged. I flipped out at them. They had 100% feedback on ebay and the seller had a no return policy. I made sure to get a refund and so I did and with photo evidence paypal sided with me. Anyways, I'm glad you enjoy the 5200 and you did a great job gluing the broken pieces back together. I need to get a 4 port model myself.

I've been tossing around the idea for some time. 5200 is definitely on my bucket list of consoles to get, along with Vectrex... :)

Nice! As for me during the last month or so. My bucket list console "Must have" to get is between the Odyssey 2 or the Vectrex. Christmas is 5 months away. Time to get that list ready for Santa. I have all the consoles that I want. But am really fascinated with both of them.

Man I am sorry about the console being slightly damaged during shipping. Hope they packed it well. Whenever I pack I always make sure it is well packed that it can survive a nuclear war and leave zilch space. A long time ago I bought a spare 7800 and the idiot mailed it in a large mailing envelope, not a box and it was completely damaged. I flipped out at them. They had 100% feedback on ebay and the seller had a no return policy. I made sure to get a refund and so I did and with photo evidence paypal sided with me. Anyways, I'm glad you enjoy the 5200 and you did a great job gluing the broken pieces back together. I need to get a 4 port model myself.

Lots of packing material, but the box was really too small so even though there was a lot of packing it was all jammed in and REALLY packed in. When this thing got dropped, there was no room left for the paper to compress. And he had the system in bubble wrap too! What can you do? It was working and I had all these games....there was no way I was sending it back!

Boy if someone mailed me a system in an envelope though.... :mad:

Edited by GoldenWheels

Lots of packing material, but the box was really too small so even though there was a lot of packing it was all jammed in and REALLY packed in. When this thing got dropped, there was no room left for the paper to compress. And he had the system in bubble wrap too! What can you do? It was working and I had all these games....there was no way I was sending it back!

Boy if someone mailed me a system in an envelope though.... :mad:

I have the pieces you need from a long dead console.

I have the pieces you need from a long dead console.

I'd be interested if you want to shoot me a PM, I appreciate the offer. I'm not going to beat around the bush, they aren't worth a ton to me because I'm fairly satisfied with my glue job but I do KNOW mine are cracked, and I'm not going to pretend it doesn't bother me a bit!

Also fellows...my controller seems to be working pretty ok now...but I have already cut some foil duct tape (the real stuff, not duck tape, actual metallic duct tape from an HVAC job) into dots to re-do those contacts. Should I just do it? Or leave well enough alone? I don't mind the small bit of work.

Edited by GoldenWheels
  • Like 1

Also fellows...my controller seems to be working pretty ok now...but I have already cut some foil duct tape (the real stuff, not duck tape, actual metallic duct tape from an HVAC job) into dots to re-do those contacts. Should I just do it? Or leave well enough alone? I don't mind the small bit of work.

If you're planning on putting in a good bit of 5200 play, I would go ahead and add the foil to all four fire buttons and the Start/Pause/Reset buttons. That should last a good bit longer than just giving the buttons a cleaning.

• Like 1

Nice! As for me during the last month or so. My bucket list console "Must have" to get is between the Odyssey 2 or the Vectrex. Christmas is 5 months away. Time to get that list ready for Santa. I have all the consoles that I want. But am really fascinated with both of them.

I would love to own a Vectrex someday. I already got a Pacman cart for 5200 but atm I cannot afford to add another console to my roster. My room is getting crowded. Someday when I get my own place and my fiance and I move in together, we'll get a bigger 3-bedroom apartment and I'll be able to turn the third bedroom into a Game Room. Hopefully it will be decent size and a nice walk in closet. In reality, those confounded controllers are what have prevented me from investing in a 5200.

Currently I'm still with my mom and I have all the games crammed in my bedroom. Pretty cramped arrangement when you throw in a Queen size bed and furniture. Sucks but until I finish school and earn decent wages, it is what it is... :P

I would love to own a Vectrex someday. I already got a Pacman cart for 5200 but atm I cannot afford to add another console to my roster. My room is getting crowded. Someday when I get my own place and my fiance and I move in together, we'll get a bigger 3-bedroom apartment and I'll be able to turn the third bedroom into a Game Room. Hopefully it will be decent size and a nice walk in closet. In reality, those confounded controllers are what have prevented me from investing in a 5200.

Currently I'm still with my mom and I have all the games crammed in my bedroom. Pretty cramped arrangement when you throw in a Queen size bed and furniture. Sucks but until I finish school and earn decent wages, it is what it is... :P

I may be leaning onto the Vextrex as well. The Odyssey 2 has some good games and a great homebrew market. Plus atari2600land's Mario Bros. looks awesome if you haven't seen it. I'm gonna save up and opt for the Vectrex as my final piece. Only console not in my room is The Colecovision from Yurkie. I have it stored in the closet and want to keep it in fantastic shape. It's a beauty. Plus I have the emulator and all the games and roms on my xbox. My front load NES plus the PS2 slim.

If you're planning on putting in a good bit of 5200 play, I would go ahead and add the foil to all four fire buttons and the Start/Pause/Reset buttons. That should last a good bit longer than just giving the buttons a cleaning.

Done. Maybe it's all in my head but it felt more responsive to some degree (probably IS all in my head).

Still having a hard time getting (what I suddenly noticed last night are all) the non standard Atari games to work...Star Trek and Pitfall 2 have been cleaned, do NOT want to run. Frogger won't work either. I get black screens. All the "normal" carts work first time very time. Wth?

Done. Maybe it's all in my head but it felt more responsive to some degree (probably IS all in my head).

Still having a hard time getting (what I suddenly noticed last night are all) the non standard Atari games to work...Star Trek and Pitfall 2 have been cleaned, do NOT want to run. Frogger won't work either. I get black screens. All the "normal" carts work first time very time. Wth?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the buttons felt more responsive after doing that... it did for me!

As for Star Trek and Pitfall 2 not working, note that the standard Atari games have their connectors protected by a plastic "door", where the Sega, Parker Brothers, and Activision carts do not. So typically, those carts may need some extra cleaning. Some alcohol or contact cleaner applied vigorously to the connector with a Q-tip will generally do the trick. Activision carts are often the hardest to get working for some reason.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the buttons felt more responsive after doing that... it did for me!

As for Star Trek and Pitfall 2 not working, note that the standard Atari games have their connectors protected by a plastic "door", where the Sega, Parker Brothers, and Activision carts do not. So typically, those carts may need some extra cleaning. Some alcohol or contact cleaner applied vigorously to the connector with a Q-tip will generally do the trick. Activision carts are often the hardest to get working for some reason.

Boy I hit'em with a q tip and some isopropyl and was surprised to NOT get much grime of off them. Is there a safe way or method to open the carts? I was going to hit the contacts with a gray eraser (which at least in my NES experience is 1000x more effective than qtips+alcohol) but I was terrified of cracking Pitfall 2. It didn't sound positive while I was jimmying so I stopped.

Boy I hit'em with a q tip and some isopropyl and was surprised to NOT get much grime of off them. Is there a safe way or method to open the carts? I was going to hit the contacts with a gray eraser (which at least in my NES experience is 1000x more effective than qtips+alcohol) but I was terrified of cracking Pitfall 2. It didn't sound positive while I was jimmying so I stopped.

I've never gotten much visible grime off a 5200 cart (unlike NES carts), but they do often work after cleaning nonetheless.

I believe the Activision carts are held together with screws, so it's going to hard to open it up without damaging the label. Is the eraser too thick to use on the connector without opening the cart?

Hope you can get the games working... I had a Beamrider cart that refused to work no matter what I did to it... hope you have better luck with Pitfall 2!

Normally the Atari carts with the dust cover over the card edge do not need much attention as far as cleaning goes. The open cart ends, like Activision carts, always need cleaning. This is another very valid reason to get the Ultimate SD cart. It has the dust cover. :-p